Tenor vs Yamaha GL1

Badger uke

Reaction score
Got to play a GL1 yesterday I liked the sound but string and fret spacing felt a bit small compared to a tenor have owners got used to it , the Shop I was in only had average tenors to play side by side and to my ears the Yamaha sounded better, your advice is always appreciated.

I could never get used to the GL1 due to the tiny string spacing. If you want to stick with the 17" tenor scale you might want to check into a Romero Creations Tiny Tenor 6 or the Koaloha OPIO Guilele. They have wider necks and string spacing. They also cost 3 or 4 times more but are in a whole different class in terms of sound. If you don't mind a 20 inch scale, the Islander GL6 is much more affordable and has a nice wide and easy to play neck, as does the the Hawaii made but pricy Kanile'a GL6. Also, the Cordoba Mini (original series not II) is very affordable and has a more roomy string spacing in the 20" scale.

Here's my Tiny Tenor 6 review:

https://fraryguitar.com/romero_creations_TT6_review.htm

There are Guitalele/Guileles with wider string spacing than the Yamaha.
The Cordoba comes to mine, as mentioned in the above post.

The Yamaha, although a inexpensive laminate instrument, does have a certain charm to its sound.
They come with clear nylon strings as stock, so perhaps try some nylon strings like D'addario on an ukulele for a similar effect.

I've come to prefer even narrower spacing than the GL1 though I felt it was horribly cramped the first time I tried it at Guitar Center. I found the Mini not as comfortable.

They're different. Pick the one you think sounds best.

I have a Clearwater plastic guitarlele thing. I don't think you can buy them anymore.

I like it sometimes, although I am no guitar player. I mostly use it to work out what guitarists are playing on Youtube videos.

Top Bottom