Thread: Slippery Neck Hacks

Default Slippery Neck Hacks

I have a gloss Koaloha KTM-00 tenor which I love but the glossy finish on the neck is making it difficult for my thumb to stay in one place. Is there anything I can apply to the neck to give my thumb more grip without damaging it? Perhaps a spray of some sort that would stick to the neck but I could clean off later? Or maybe some form of grip tape I could apply? Any suggestions?

Wow, if anything, a full gloss neck finish should make the neck stickier than any other stock finish. Not sure what can be grippier than that for your thumb on the back except artificial additives. Maybe your body chemistry is different (slippier) than most.
    Last edited by Ukecaster; 05-22-2020 at 05:22 PM.
    John

Does your thumb get sweaty as you play? You could probably wear one of those rubber finger guards librarians and researchers wear to make page turning easier. Or just part of the thumb from a rubber, or similar synthetic material, glove. Even a BandAid might work.

You could spray the neck with a dulling spray, but I don't know how long it would last, or if it would damage the finish.
    There is a subtle yet profound difference between the learning of something and the knowing of that thing.
    You can learn by reading, but you donít begin to know until you begin to try to do.

óLou Churchill, Plane & Pilot Magazine

Try a light rubbing with a bit of hard beeswax. If it doesn’t work, at least you run very little risk of damaging the finish.
    Sopranos: aNueNue Khaya Mahogany 1, Bruko No. 6; Kiwaya KS-1; Kiwaya KTS-4; Kiwaya KTS-4K; Martin S-O
    Concerts:Cahaya CY-0112; Kiwaya KTC-1; Kiwaya KPC-1M; Kiwaya KCU-1, Takumi TC-1M, Takumi TC-3K, Musicguymicís Kolohe
    Tenors: Cordoba 24T; Kiwaya KTT-2K
    Baritones: Cordoba 24B

Try a satin finished neck and see if it feels better. If so, you can convert glossy to satin with 30 minutes of buffing with micro mesh pads. I've done it a few times, including restoring a satin neck made glossy from thumb buffing....

Thread Information