Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Season 432 - Solitude

Well obviously it was a mistake to mention bagpipes. Now I can’t stop thinking about them. I was working in my cubicle once as graphics person for an interactive company, listening to music with my headphones on, as I often did, and someone walked by and said, “Are you listening to bagpipes?” Indeed, I was and the music could be heard from my headphones. It’s a wonder I have my hearing still. Knock wood.
    Last edited by Martinlover; 05-24-2020 at 05:46 AM.

Here is my song for season 432.

There once was a farmer who only fed his cows India ink.
    The cows drank so much ink they Mooooooood Indigo.

Last edited by SailingUke; 05-30-2020 at 07:47 PM.
    Keep Strummin'

Default I shall be released

How appropriate that our host for a Season dedicated to the theme of 'Solitude' should be from Denmark
    Quote Originally Posted by Kierkegaard
    “On the whole, the longing for solitude is a sign that there still is spirit in a person and is the measure of what spirit there is.

[...] In antiquity as well as in the Middle Ages there was an awareness of this longing for solitude and a respect for what it means; whereas in the constant sociality of our day we shrink from solitude to the point (what a capital epigram!) that no use for it is known other than as a punishment for criminals.”

― Søren Kierkegaard, The Sickness Unto Death: A Christian Psychological Exposition for Upbuilding and Awakening
    So just to be contrary to ghost of dear Søren, I've chosen a song about the hope & expectation of being released from solitude.

2nd appearance today for an Argapa (pron 'ary-appa', Swedish for 'Angry Monkey'). This one's a piccolo. Weighs 6oz (170g), and unbelievably loud: louder than it has any right to be. Made from cherry & alder, from trees cut down by the luthier himself, Sven Nyström, 20-odd years ago. D-tuning.
    Argapa custom piccolo | Argapa custom resonator soprano | Rob Collins custom soprano | Kavanagh custom concert | Ashton soprano | Clearwater SB electric concert | Kala PU-SMH sopranissimo | Kala SSTU-BP soprano | Kala C/MU concert "The Mighty Uke"! | Kala SSTU-C concert | Kala SSTU-T tenor | Korala UKS-310 sop | Harley Benton BCJ100-FMH SB electric baritone | Lanikai S-B Baritone | Clearwater "long neck" baritone | Tiny Tangi

Too Drunk To Pluck

One... Nilsson was before Bono.
    HyperBob says: Scottish steel and Irish fire, that's the weapon I desire
    My Youtube Ukulele channel
    My Youtube Gardening channel

Hello, Mikel ... and thanks for the timely theme this week; we are still self-isolating and shall continue to do so, but, I suppose, as there are two of us, plus a dog, I can't really claim to be living in solitude. Since I seem to have misplaced my bagpipes, I decided to opt for the uke and this old Irving Berlin song. I put up the lyrics to fill in a gap on the screen, and was going to add the chords, but since I played it in G, but with the capo on the second fret, I thought that would just be plain confusing!

"The single biggest problem with communication is the illusion that it has taken place" George Bernard Shaw

"Happiness is having a large, loving, caring, close-knit family in another city" George Burns

Quote Originally Posted by wee_ginga_yin View Post
    Do you know the main difference between the Scottish bagpipe and the Irish bagpipe?

With the Irish bagpipe you can drink a pint of Guinness whilst playing it.

Those Irish are just genius
    My mate Jim plays the Uillean pipes. It is incredible you need a rhythm for the bellows, a rhythm for the bag, the rhythm of the song and you can play chords with the flat of your hand by karate chopping the regulators. On top of that he sings as he plays. I don't know how anyone can do all that at once.

Epiphone Les Paul (Red) Concert
    Kala KA FMTE - C (Low G)
    Steel Strung Hora Baritone
    Korala Baritone UKB 36
    Eugene Customised Tanglewood TU5 Baritone (High D)
    Yamaha GL1 Guitarlele
    Baritone Ukulele Banjo
    Oscar Schmidt 8 String Tenor
    Oscar Schmidt 6 String Tenor
    Jack Daniels Tenor - by Peavey
    Mainland Red Cedar Concert
    Korala Soprano Mahogany Electro Acoustic Cutaway
    Tenor Resonator Ukulele HB CLU 34-T
    Alida Electric Tenor
    Harley Benton CLU-Bass

Quote Originally Posted by Barbablanca View Post
    Solitude needn't be a negative thing, of course. Here my protagonist is just enjoying his own company and swinging in his hammock.

This song was written at FAWM back in February. Our very own "Pabrizzer" is also a FAWMer and he did a lovely "noodle" that I just couldn't resist putting words to. So here is our collaboration. If I knew how to download youtube videos (of persons other than myself) I'd have set up a video of Brian playing and me singing. He plays this much better than I do. Next time, perhaps.

Hope you enjoy this little ditty:
    i think you may have mixed up the vids berni

Quote Originally Posted by Barbablanca View Post
    My mate Jim plays the Uillean pipes. It is incredible you need a rhythm for the bellows, a rhythm for the bag, the rhythm of the song and you can play chords with the flat of your hand by karate chopping the regulators. On top of that he sings as he plays. I don't know how anyone can do all that at once.
    A full set of Uillean pipes looks like a plumbers nightmare.
    Geoff Walker

I have several ukuleles in various sizes and am not planning on getting any more...

at least, not yet.

I also play some blowy things and a squeezy thing

Internet:
    You Tube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/TootlinGeoff
    Soundcloud: http://soundcloud.com/tootlingeoff

Quote Originally Posted by Martinlover View Post
    Well obviously it was a mistake to mention bagpipes. Now I can’t stop thinking about them. I was working in my cubicle once as graphics person for an interactive company, listening to music with my headphones on, as I often did, and someone walked by and said, “Are you listening to bagpipes?” Indeed, I was and the music could be heard from my headphones. It’s a wonder I have my hearing still. Knock wood.
    I LOVE this story, Jo!!!! YAY for bagpipes!!!! COOL!!!! Btw, I have background in graphic design, too!

Thanks, Mike, for hosting us this week on the SOTU — I love the theme — I have been working on my entry tonight!!!! Can’t wait to check out all of the other Seasonistas’ postings!!!

Just as a side bar/related note:

I don’t feel so lonely knowing that you are all here!!!! Hugs to you, SEASONISTAS!!!!

Thread Information