Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Where to go next with my playing?

Quote Originally Posted by bacchettadavid View Post
    Check this out: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BO4qESxhuAI

It might be fun to learn some of the techniques that Jake begins to show off around 2:30 mark. Really slick stuff.
    Good god, that guy is good! Love the sheer control over the balance of sound when the percussive elements come in too.

To me, ukulele's essence is in the right hand. Ukulele's strumming technique and pattern is what makes this instrument unique. Check out some stuffs from Jake, Kalei, Ryo Natoyama, Feng e, pay attention to their right hand. The combination of roll, index down up, thumb down up,also Kalei's two fingerstyle.

https://youtu.be/l9YLOlUa7ro watch 4:00 and 4:35
    https://youtu.be/VMJiy3ORx28 watch 0:50

You can't find this kind of strumming pattern on any other instrument.
    Last edited by Ukujiji; 05-23-2020 at 03:48 PM.
    Moore Bettah Master Koa Tenor #2002 "Tiki Time"
    LFDM Tenor Sinker redwood+ Cocobolo
    Kamaka HF-3
    Martin Style 3 Centennial Soprano
    Risa stick Concert
    Kala Baritone

What I'm working on is doing better at expressing the music. (Not sure I phrased that well, so I guess I need to work on expressing my thoughts in words, too. LOL.)

As an example, there are probably a lot of people who can hit all these notes, but not pull you into the feeling of the song as well as this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=53lhcN47_YY

Of course, YMMV. I think this is a beautiful version of the song, but others might have some other preference.

There seems to be a big shortage of in person teachers for intermediate players. Sure, they're all over the web, but I'd love to learn in person with a competent teacher. If you're good at demonstrating and helping players like me, why not try your hand at that?

You might also consider what I did. I put together a group of near-beginners and intermediate players/singers and rehearsed songs that kids like, and we were going to Shriner's Childrens hospital before COVID19 spread. We're going back when we can.

Also, if you love "different" and highly skilled playing, check out James Hill. I've met him, and am taking his online course. If there's anyone I could emulate, it would be him. Very nice, professional, polite and extremely talented.
    Also, Led Kapaana, if you like Hawaiian slack key playing.
    "Those who bring sunshine and laughter to the lives of others cannot keep it from themselves".

Music washes from the soul, the dust of everyday living.

Quote Originally Posted by Ukujiji View Post
    To me, ukulele's essence is in the right hand. Ukulele's strumming technique and pattern is what makes this instrument unique. Check out some stuffs from Jake, Kalei, Ryo Natoyama, Feng e, pay attention to their right hand. The combination of roll, index down up, thumb down up,also Kalei's two fingerstyle.

https://youtu.be/l9YLOlUa7ro watch 4:00 and 4:35
    https://youtu.be/VMJiy3ORx28 watch 0:50

You can't find this kind of strumming pattern on any other instrument.
    Thanks! I've experimented with some cool thumb and finger techniques, but getting the control up to a level for more intricate stuff is a definite future goal for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill1 View Post
    Playing in a group is always beneficial. Probably hard in the short term if you are stuck in lock down.

Working with other people will always open up new possibilities. Looking at your resume, you could start a uke group yourself in your area for all comers, no matter how good or bad they are. Find a venue and a song book. Just to start the ideas flowing, you could start out by making an arrangement with a local cafe to be able to come and occupy some space and play some tunes for an hour or so once a week at a regular time that suits the owner. Not as a performer, without an amp or microphone, just sitting in the cafe playing your ukulele using a common song book. The intention being to attract people who want to play, not an audience. With some spare seats for anyone who want to join in with their ukulele. Maybe a few spare low cost ukes for new players. Over time, people will start to show up regularly and you will have a group happening, which will help you grow your ukulele experience. This is just an idea to start discussion and thoughts on how to get a group started using your current skill and experience, and without promising to be a "teacher" or "guru".
    Nice idea! I must say, it'd be great to play in a uke group of some kind, there's definitely an inherently 'communa;' aspect to the instrument that I should xplore more when I'm able to again!

Quote Originally Posted by Joyful Uke View Post
    What I'm working on is doing better at expressing the music. (Not sure I phrased that well, so I guess I need to work on expressing my thoughts in words, too. LOL.)

As an example, there are probably a lot of people who can hit all these notes, but not pull you into the feeling of the song as well as this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=53lhcN47_YY

Of course, YMMV. I think this is a beautiful version of the song, but others might have some other preference.
    Definitely, thanks! As i noted, I'm more experienced on other instruments, so while I have no trouble connecting my emotional output to the sound I make on my guitar or bass (or with my voice), the connection isn't as refined with the uke. May be cool to try and alter a simple arrangement in order to convey varied emotional messages and feeling.

Quote Originally Posted by Nickie View Post
    There seems to be a big shortage of in person teachers for intermediate players. Sure, they're all over the web, but I'd love to learn in person with a competent teacher. If you're good at demonstrating and helping players like me, why not try your hand at that?

You might also consider what I did. I put together a group of near-beginners and intermediate players/singers and rehearsed songs that kids like, and we were going to Shriner's Childrens hospital before COVID19 spread. We're going back when we can.

Also, if you love "different" and highly skilled playing, check out James Hill. I've met him, and am taking his online course. If there's anyone I could emulate, it would be him. Very nice, professional, polite and extremely talented.
    Also, Led Kapaana, if you like Hawaiian slack key playing.
    Thanks! I am a music tutor at the moment, but most of the work about is either for pure beginners on the uke, or any more advanced students are wanting bass or guitar lessons. That's generally the theme in my area it seems, but I'd love to teach some slightly more advanced stuff on the uke too.

Love the idea of the group! I've considered charitable entertainment before (nursing homes, childrens homes etc) but of course all has been brought to a halt currently. Love the idea of a uke group for this too!

Oh, and last of all - I love James Hill! First seeing his Billie Jean blew my mind. The percussive and strange technique stuff isn't necessarily what I would want to play myself, but I can only stand in awe of his mastery of the instrument, and his non-experimental stuff (the stuff that is primarily straight playing) is incredible too!

Thread Information