Acoustic guitar on modern digital modelling amp

Davoravo

Reaction score
Hi all

Anyone tried acoustic guitar on a modern digital modelling amp? I am thinking about buying an amp for acoustic but also an electric guitar and would like only one amp.

I understand that "normal" electric guitar amps are not suitable for acoustic guitar but was wondering if using a clean channel one of the new digital modelling amps would be ok?

thanks
david

It probably depends of the modelling and the model. Look for a frequency range of appr. 40-20.000 Hz. That's where the difference lies. An electric amp will only reproduce up to 6-7.000 Hz EVEN on the clean channel.

Buy an acoustic amp and a distorsion pedal for the e-guitar.

Last edited:
Look into the Quilter Micropro Mach 2 line of heads and combo amps. The 8" combo model might serve your needs well.

If you're using a simple acoustic guitar you need additional mic. Yes, you can plug your acoustic/electric guitar into an amp. In fact, you can even plug it into electric guitar amps. But, as you may have guessed, the sound won't be the same.

I have a Yamaha FG 800 with a JJB passive pickup that sounds good through my Fender Mustang LT25. I made a preset that has no effects and some EQ through the clean amp model.

It won't be as good as something like the Fishman Loudbox but I think it captures the acoustic sound of my Yamaha quite well.

Boss Katana 50 or the 100 if you need more power. I bought my son the Katana 50 for his Stratocaster and it has an acoustic setting. This amp works exceptionally well with both electric guitar and pick up equipped acoustic guitars. Go down the YouTube rabbit hole of reviews, you will be impressed.

My first amp was a Marshall electric guitar amp that I bought at a garage sale. I got along well with it for a long time and thought it was great until I read a thread that said it was a bad thing to do. Looking back with more experience, I would not be afraid to plug into an electric guitar amp if that is what you have, but an acoustic amp is probably more socially acceptable. I have both now and I use both. Amplification is like everything, it is easy to make it as complicated as it can possibly be.

If you're using a simple acoustic guitar you need additional mic. Yes, you can plug your acoustic/electric guitar into an amp. In fact, you can even plug it into electric guitar amps. But, as you may have guessed, the sound won't be the same.

I wanted to do without the additional microphone, but the sound really isn't the same. And my guitar amplifier was a little broken, so I decided to change to a newer model. I read more info about different amplifier models and opinions were very ambiguous. Choosing between Yamaha THR5 and Vox Mini3 G2CL, settled on the second. Voxbox has a huge number of presets and they are very different in the formation of the output tone, as well as a built-in tuner, which is also very convenient. The price is a little expensive, but I'm ready to pay for such quality.

Last edited:
I wanted to do without the additional microphone, but the sound really isn't the same. And my guitar amplifier was a little broken, so I decided to change to a newer model. I read more info about different amplifier models and opinions were very ambiguous. Choosing between Yamaha THR5 and Vox Mini3 G2CL, settled on the second. Voxbox has a huge number of presets and they are very different in the formation of the output tone, as well as a built-in tuner, which is also very convenient. The price is a little expensive, but I'm ready to pay for such quality.
How much of a price difference are they?

Top Bottom