Kamaka concert or soprano

Loska

Reaction score
I'm keeping alive this dream, that maybe in the future I could buy a Kamaka ukulele. But until my bank account says yes and this lockdown is over, I can spend my time pondering which size to get - a soprano or a concert.

I really do enjoy the concert size. But since the Kamaka soprano is THE ukulele, I wonder. So how do those two compare?

Last edited:
They’re both great, but I find the concert to be particularly awesome. The tone’s a little deeper, the fretboard’s a little more roomy (and comfortable) and it’s just a great ukulele.

That said, the soprano’s no slouch either. You can’t go wrong with either one, but I think the concert is the often overlooked gem in the line.

My ultimate uke collecting goal is to get a Kamaka Deluxe soprano some day. In fact, I'm planning to go to Hawaii during the next few years so I can pick one up since the Deluxe models are near impossible to get in Europe. But I do mainly play soprano. If you mainly play concerts I don't really see why you should necessarily get a soprano unless you absolutely, desperately want to have that quintessential traditional ukulele. Personally, I would think a Kamaka concert would be traditional enough. :)

If you can play soprano comfortably then it's probably the way to go. Tuned in D that gives the quintessential classical uke sound.

Nothing like a good soprano!

I'd get the concert. But that's me.

That sound comparison video was great! I do love the sound of Kamaka, not that I'm ever going to be able to play like that. I think that if I'd have to make a decision right now, I'd probably go with the concert, but as time goes by I may change my mind several times. But usually I find concert size very comfortable.

UAS is a sneaky condition! :D I really don't need any more ukuleles, our Ortega and Kanile'a are more than enough. But I still feel this itch to try a Kamaka. Or KoAloha...

I'm keeping alive this dream, that maybe in the future I could buy a Kamaka ukulele. But until my bank account says yes and this lockdown is over, I can spend my time pondering which size to get - a soprano or a concert.

I really do enjoy the concert size. But since the Kamaka soprano is THE ukulele, I wonder. So how do those two compare?

I almost exclusively play Soprano sized Ukes and my choice is because I find that that size is: compact enough to travel easily, produces an acceptable sound, a better fit with a limited budget and the fret spacing suits my hand. However whilst I do regard the Soprano as the original Uke I’ve always thought of it as historically a pruned down size (for economy and compact travel on a small ship) of something bigger. The Concert and Tenor sizes later emerged because of limitations found with the Soprano size.

By all means buy a very well made Soprano and enjoy an instrument that pushes the boundaries of what that size can do. Personally I’d refer to my experience of friends playing quality Concert and Soprano sized instruments, the Concerts seem to cost just a small amount more but sound fuller and play better up the neck. If physical size isn’t an issue and you want to make the best music then to my mind Concert is the way to go and it’s also the size that you are used to. As an aside I note your interest in koAloha, a friend has a solid Acacia Concert and every time I hear it I lust after it, it’s virtually the only Uke I feel that way about.

TLDR. There’s no such thing as ‘The Size’ so play what you’re used to and enjoy.

Last edited:
Unfortunately I live in an area that doesn't have much ukuleles to try or buy. All local stores carry only laminate ones and if lucky some all solid tops and Martin CK1:s. My friends don't play ukulele and consider me gone completely nuts with this uke thing of mine. So if I wan't to try new ones, I have to purchase one. It is very important to me that my instrument is all solid wood (my bank account says a huge thank you...). And I'm fascinated with the Hawaiian koa ukes. I love the sound! On top of that I'm a very curious person, I wan't to play different well made ukuleles even though I'm really not worthy. It just brings enormous joy to hold and play a beautifully made masterpiece. Is it reasonable? Nope, I could surely learn to play an ukulele with way cheaper one. But it is so much fun!

I'm fascinated by the history of the Kamaka ukuleles. And I would like to experience the famous 'KoAloha sound'. If I'd had the money and the opportunity, I would buy both in a heart beat. But it doesn't stop there! Lately I have been more and more interested of Kiwayas, ANuenues and Oulcrafts... a slippery road indeed.

Early on I thought that the concert is the size for me. But after hearing some videos by Samantha Muir I started questioning my choice.

Last edited:
I don't think it's unreasonable to have several ukes, especially high-end ones, if your bank account can handle it of course. Every uke brand you mentioned (maybe with the exception of Oulcraft, simply because I don't know enough about them) is different enough to justify owning one, imo. I have an aNueNue, a Kiwaya, a KoAloha and now a Kanile'a, and they're all so different and wonderful that I have no issues switching between them or playing different kind of music with each. Even within the three K brands there's enough difference to own one of each. Very generally, KoAloha is bright and loud, Kanile'a is full and dark, and Kamaka seems to be somewhere in the middle with that extra tradition added in. Kiwaya makes their ukes in a really traditional way as well. It's basically like owning a nice Martin uke. aNueNue is just unique on it's own, both in terms of sound and build.

For me, trying and owning these different kinds of ukes is part of the whole uke experience and adventure. If you can't always justify having another nice instrument, make a promise to yourself that you'll actually do something different with the new uke. I decided that I would start playing different types of music with the aNueNue I got compared to what I was playing with the Kiwaya, for instance. In the process, I actually started learning a bit of music theory, going through the basics again, and broadening my horizons in general. It's not the only way to go about it of course, just my two cents. :)

Unfortunately I live in an area that doesn't have much ukuleles to try or buy. All local stores carry only laminate ones and if lucky some all solid tops and Martin CK1:s. My friends don't play ukulele and consider me gone completely nuts with this uke thing of mine. So if I wan't to try new ones, I have to purchase one. It is very important to me that my instrument is all solid wood (my bank account says a huge thank you...). And I'm fascinated with the Hawaiian koa ukes. I love the sound! On top of that I'm a very curious person, I wan't to play different well made ukuleles even though I'm really not worthy. It just brings enormous joy to hold and play a beautifully made masterpiece. Is it reasonable? Nope, I could surely learn to play an ukulele with way cheaper one. But it is so much fun!

Early on I thought that the concert is the size for me. But after hearing some videos by Samantha Muir I started questioning my choice.

Very few play uke like Samantha Muir! I think for anyone who plays and enjoys the ukulele it is quite reasonable to want a Hawaiian K brand. They are beautiful, wonderful sounding instruments that you will love and treasure, and be proud to own. You can make music on anything, but the better your music sounds, the more joy it brings you and the more it encourages you to play. Saving up to get one, or more, is not unreasonable at all. And since many of us are not fortunate enough to live within traveling distance to a great ukulele shop with a large selection to choose from, internet ordering is often our best option. I've been fortunate that all of my internet-ordered ukes are wonderful. Two are pre-owned, by only a month. By players who bought them and then decided they didn't suit their needs, or they had instrument overlap.

Last edited:

I'm fascinated by the history of the Kamaka ukuleles. And I would like to experience the famous 'KoAloha sound'. If I'd had the money and the opportunity, I would buy both in a heart beat. But it doesn't stop there! Lately I have been more and more interested of Kiwayas, ANuenues and Oulcrafts... a slippery road indeed.

If you are in Europe, you might have better access to a number of UK builders (including ones who've built for Sam Muir). There's another thread right now discussing sopranos and UK luthiers. It seems like they generally lean more towards the Martin sound than Hawaiian. If your stores carry CK1s, maybe they have Martin S1 sopranos as well? Those might give you an idea of what to expect from UK built sopranos, although I think the S1 is a really great ukulele itself.

As for Hawaiian, KoAlohas are my favorite, and are particularly great sounding in soprano and concert sizes.

Despite their rich history, modern Kamakas seem to be even better than their vintage versions, and for me, none of their sizes stand out as better than another. I like both concerts and sopranos, and for Kamakas, that looks like a contest between the concert's sail headstock and the traditional heritage of their standard. And their pineapple shape, which they invented.

Like you, I've recently turned my attention to Asian builders as well, who've been producing some amazing instruments, though most of my focus has been on Japanese makers who aren't as well known.

One possibility for you, if it's feasible, is just buying and selling ukes to experience as many as possible and help you find what you want. A lot of UU members have done just that, and just deem any losses as the cost of trying out lots of ukes. That cost can be minimized by buying second-hand ukes.

Thank you all, I really appreciate every thought and advice!

My UAS is getting more severe and harder to handle. It doesn't help that I'm on vacation at the moment and have lots of time to ponder over ukuleles. I really do love my Kanile'a, but it didn't cure my on going curiosity. It made it worse. And as balanced it sounds, I sometimes find myself longing for it to be a bit more 'loud', open or boisterous I quess. On another words, it would be cool to play something with different great qualities.

So the battle is between Kamaka, KoAloha and aNueNue Moonbird. Sorry that this thread turned into selfish 'I don't know what to buy buhuu poor me' -thread!

It seems that I'm facing an impossible decision. I have saved enough money to purchase either a Kamaka, a KoAloha or a Moonbird UC200 concert. I have listened a lot of sound samples, but professional players do make all those three sound wonderful. I just can't buy them all! I don't have the funds neither time to play so many ukes.

It would be logical to have an ukulele made of another tonewood than koa as I have a Kanile'a already. The Moon Bird neck sounds wonderful and I like the idea that the strings have more space as I mostly fingerpick and play classical music. And it is very beautiful! I have read that the bass and middle registers are somewhat accentuated - too much for my liking? I love the balanced tone of Kanile'a.

I would like to experience the famous KoAloha sound. I'm a bit worried of the gloss neck, but it can be changed by a skilled luthier.

And the Kamaka. All the history and the tradition. The looks, the sound, everything about it appeals to me. But the Kamaka factory is still closed and I have a squirrels patience.

If I only knew which one would be the easiest for me to play. One option for me is to keep my pennies and strum happily ever after with my Kanile'a. Thank goodness I'm not a millionaire! I'd have my house full of ukuleles (and legos and puzzles, my other hobbies I'm passionate about...).

Top Bottom