Kamaka concert or soprano

If you want something different to the Kanile'a I wouldn't buy a Kamaka myself. Not that they're the same, but compared to the KoAloha and aNueNue it's the most similar to your Kanile'a. I also wouldn't worry about the sound of the aNueNue. Despite having a really well balanced tone, they project and sparkle so much that I'd say they sound very bright above all.The KoAloha neck shouldn't be an issue either. I prefer a satin neck as well but I've had no issues with the gloss neck and I play fairly fast paced music, moving my fretting hand up and down the neck with pace. No problems whatsoever.

I know the Kamaka history is tempting. I plan to own a Kamaka one day myself but that day will come when the time is right (and when I can find one without paying through the nose for it). I would go for the KoAloha or aNueNue simply because of how different both of them are to the Kanile'a and Kamaka. I also want to add that, in my opinion, the build quality on the aNueNue is better than the KoAloha, on par with Kanile'a.

It would be logical to have an ukulele made of another tonewood than koa as I have a Kanile'a already. The Moon Bird neck sounds wonderful and I like the idea that the strings have more space as I mostly fingerpick and play classical music. And it is very beautiful! I have read that the bass and middle registers are somewhat accentuated - too much for my liking? I love the balanced tone of Kanile'a.

I would like to experience the famous KoAloha sound. I'm a bit worried of the gloss neck, but it can be changed by a skilled luthier.

And the Kamaka. All the history and the tradition. The looks, the sound, everything about it appeals to me. But the Kamaka factory is still closed and I have a squirrels patience.

You are reading too much into Koa as a tone wood. The three K brands have in common that they are family companies located on Oahu that know how to make great Koa ukes. And that is where it ends. They have fundamentally different approaches to building and designing ukes which is very obvious when you tour their factories and talk with them.

As for KoAloha gloss, they also make a Pikake model with a satin finish that is also a bit more affordable. If you want more contrast to Hawaiian type ukes, then best bet is a Mahogany Kiwaya or pre war Martin.

I'm keeping alive this dream, that maybe in the future I could buy a Kamaka ukulele. But until my bank account says yes and this lockdown is over, I can spend my time pondering which size to get - a soprano or a concert.

I really do enjoy the concert size. But since the Kamaka soprano is THE ukulele, I wonder. So how do those two compare?

In this case, I think it should depend on what YOU want to do with it rather than on what the popular opinion is.

I was close to buying a Kamaka ukulele myself. Then I realized a few things about myself (thanks to this forum): (1) I'm a newbie high on UAS and don't know what size ukulele I like and (2) I don't know what kind of sound I like.

I think you should know the answer for your question before buying one.

Thank you all for replying to this thread! :)

I really do enjoy the concert size. Tried the tenor but so far not my cup of tea. But since I've heard that some brands shine in particular sizes, like Kamaka in soprano, I wondered if the grass is greener. But for now I think I'll stick with the concert.

The sound that I like is quite difficult to describe. I enjoy the well balanced sound of Kanile'a. So I'm after something balanced - lows, mids and clear bell like higs. And a sweet sound with some good sustain. And of course it would be fun to have few lovely ukuleles with different qualities, even though I have a soft spot for koa, both look and soundwise.

I'm afraid that there is not much Kamakas of KoAlohas here where I live in northern Finland. But maybe I should be more active and connect more with local uke players!

Since I'm a bit confused at the moment with my future purchase, I chill for now and play away with my Kanile'a (it is quite interesting to hear a change in its sound - whether it does open up indeed or I'm getting better, either way just great!). Or I'll take a chance with aNueNue or KoAloha.

Thank you all for replying to this thread! :)

I really do enjoy the concert size. Tried the tenor but so far not my cup of tea. But since I've heard that some brands shine in particular sizes, like Kamaka in soprano, I wondered if the grass is greener. But for now I think I'll stick with the concert.

The sound that I like is quite difficult to describe. I enjoy the well balanced sound of Kanile'a. So I'm after something balanced - lows, mids and clear bell like higs. And a sweet sound with some good sustain. And of course it would be fun to have few lovely ukuleles with different qualities, even though I have a soft spot for koa, both look and soundwise.

I'm afraid that there is not much Kamakas of KoAlohas here where I live in northern Finland. But maybe I should be more active and connect more with local uke players!

Since I'm a bit confused at the moment with my future purchase, I chill for now and play away with my Kanile'a (it is quite interesting to hear a change in its sound - whether it does open up indeed or I'm getting better, either way just great!). Or I'll take a chance with aNueNue or KoAloha.

When in doubt then doing nothing can serve you well. You already have something that plays well and the more that you practice the better it will play. I feel sure that there is logic to looking at what other players in your part of the world are using and what is being made there. Perhaps making more efforts to find other Uke players in Finland is a way forward and likewise other Baltic Countries. Sven builds excellent Ukes for a hobby and is in Sweden (Stockholm) and Wee_jinga_yin is in Finland (Villahde). A thread here on UU seeking other players and groups will doubtless produce some contacts and particularly so if you speak other Baltic languages. The Uke scene in Germany is big and there is one in Poland too, we are generally ignorant of those scenes here on UU because we’re predominantly English only speakers.

Last edited:
Today I noticed that my favorite uke store listed few new KoAloha concerts and now I'm wondering should I just pull the trigger. The thought of Kamaka is stopping me. I've heard that the sound of KoAloha is loud and bright, but as I enjoy the well balanced sound of Kanile'a so much, would Kamaka offer a deeper and more complex sound?

I tried the KoAloha Opio tenor a while ago, and even though I liked the sound, it wasn't as appealing to me as Kanile'as. The Kanile'a is a concert and so it is a difficult comparison. Another thing is the neck profile - I didn't find the Opios neck comfortable. I know that I can adapt, but still I wonder.

But on the other hand it would be so much fun to try a new quality koa concert! So please try to talk me in or out of this. A KoAloha now - or a Kamaka later. :confused:

If someone is undecided between concert and soprano there is the long neck soprano that has the best of both. With the small soprano body you get that nice soprano sound and the concert neck gives playing comfort. The first KoAloha I ever played was a long neck soprano and it was fantastic and got me hooked on the brand. Though unfortunately I didn't buy it and now only have a concert because they are more easily attainable. Kamaka also has a long neck soprano model but I haven't tried one.

Last edited:
One reason not to get a KoAloha concert is that there's a reputable distributor for them in Germany. You can get KoAlohas from Gute Ukulele, so even after brexit, when ordering from stores like SUS becomes much more expensive, you can still easily get one. I'm actually doing the same, waiting for either a Kamaka soprano or a mango KoAloha to pop up in some of my favourite uke shops. Once that happens I'll immediately pull the trigger, but until then I'll keep waiting.

Hey Loska, if you ever come down to Stockholm, I have both a soprano and a concert Kamaka you are welcome to try out.

I actually had the the concert for sale here last year, but no one was interested. It’s still for sale if you want it, but no pressure at all if you just want to play and compare the two. It’s a great uke, but I’m a full-blown soprano man myself (can’t really answer why I bought the concert Kamaka in the first place). :p

Disclaimer, I’m down south for the summer and won’t be back in Stockholm until mid August.
//Max

Hey Loska, if you ever come down to Stockholm, I have both a soprano and a concert Kamaka you are welcome to try out.

I actually had the the concert for sale here last year, but no one was interested. It’s still for sale if you want it, but no pressure at all if you just want to play and compare the two. It’s a great uke, but I’m a full-blown soprano man myself (can’t really answer why I bought the concert Kamaka in the first place). :p

Disclaimer, I’m down south for the summer and won’t be back in Stockholm until mid August.
//Max

Hi Max, I'd really like to come to the beautiful Stockholm and it would be very lovely to compare those two, but due this unfortunate pandemic situation I'm afraid that I'll stay put indefinitely. But if you still have the concert for sale, I'll send you a pm.

As far as I can tell the standard Koa soprano has a slightly upper register sound. If you like mellow a Kamaka Pineapple seems to me a little fuller, rounder about the midrange. That is just what I hear from endless listening to sound samples. I like the pineapple sound, seems more “Hawaiian” to me.
I have a not too expensive Ohana solid mahogany pineapple concert, very sweet sound. Also just bought a used from the sixties, perfect condition, Kamaka Koa standard soprano that is enroute to be here in a few days, just to compare the sound.

Well, my Kamaka soprano arrived about 5 days ago and I can honestly say....W O W. Nice bright full bodied ring and sustain. I’m new to ukulele playing, and I have other hobbies, normally I get obsessive and over do. I have 5 or 6 or so bows and arrows, probably 12 or so cameras, you get the picture. So I was worried I would get AUS that I have heard so much about and end up with a small gaggle of ukes before finding THE ONE...but honestly this Kamaka sounds so good to my as yet untrained ear that I may never need another Uke. (Well may be a Flea or a Fluke)
So Loska...my vote would be for the Kamaka soprano....but I’m so sure the concert would be great also.
If you jump in at the top you can save yourself a lot of money in the long run...d; )=

Last edited:
If there's anyone who owns or has played both a soprano and concert Kamaka, could you describe the difference in sound between these? Obviously the concert sound is more resonant and fuller, but judging from several videos it seems to me that the high frequencies on the concert are clearer and more prominent whereas the soprano sounds more thin and a bit plinky-plonky (which I actually like, don't get me wrong, I actually own a soprano Kamaka which I truly love). I wonder if I'm perceiving the difference in sound correctly from these videos?

@Oldtimer, I love my Kamaka soprano too. It's my favorite ukulele because it behaves very well throughout its dynamic range. I think it may have to do with its arched back, allowing it to use less bracing relative to the top thickness. Normally I'd be worried about thin tops + less bracing, but there are so many old Kamakas around that gives me confidence they can last.

@Dohle, I own both. I think the plinky sound comes from the shorter scale length, which gives less overtones (i.e. the fundamental frequency is very dominating). IMHO, the Kamaka's plinkyness is well balanced so it's not annoying after an hour. I personally prefer the concert sound, but I play the soprano because it fits me better. Sound from videos is subject to a lot of influences, even a dry sample if the mic is too far away you get room reverbs (generally that makes it sound nicer); and many web videos are there to sell something so it is possible that the video may have gone thru some postprocessing or the room is picked to show off the instrument. I can put up (yet more) samples of the 2; if you think you'd like to hear them. I don't mind; it is good practice for me (although my playing isn't good, I'll try to illustrate the differences).

@Dohle, I own both. I think the plinky sound comes from the shorter scale length, which gives less overtones (i.e. the fundamental frequency is very dominating). IMHO, the Kamaka's plinkyness is well balanced so it's not annoying after an hour. I personally prefer the concert sound, but I play the soprano because it fits me better. Sound from videos is subject to a lot of influences, even a dry sample if the mic is too far away you get room reverbs (generally that makes it sound nicer); and many web videos are there to sell something so it is possible that the video may have gone thru some postprocessing or the room is picked to show off the instrument. I can put up (yet more) samples of the 2; if you think you'd like to hear them. I don't mind; it is good practice for me (although my playing isn't good, I'll try to illustrate the differences).

Don't get me wrong, I adore the Kamaka soprano. I find the slightly thinner tone is really nice for some lighter strumming or fingerpicking but I feel I need to really dig in to the uke in order to get a clearer note out of it. Obviously, that has to do with the strings as well but I haven't found a set I'd like more than the black nylons.

I would love a comparison if you have the time to make some sound samples. Although, if you've made some already you could just point me to them. Since I like the soprano so much, I'm umming and erring over a concert as well because I can hear at least somewhat of a difference in sound judging from some videos. Then again, I'm thinking if getting the concert would dissuade me from playing the soprano which I certainly wouldn't like. And I'm more of a soprano player anyway. And I really don't need more ukes... So what I'm essentially asking is for someone to talk me out of getting the concert. :D

Don't get me wrong, I adore the Kamaka soprano. I find the slightly thinner tone is really nice for some lighter strumming or fingerpicking but I feel I need to really dig in to the uke in order to get a clearer note out of it. Obviously, that has to do with the strings as well but I haven't found a set I'd like more than the black nylons.

I would love a comparison if you have the time to make some sound samples. Although, if you've made some already you could just point me to them. Since I like the soprano so much, I'm umming and erring over a concert as well because I can hear at least somewhat of a difference in sound judging from some videos. Then again, I'm thinking if getting the concert would dissuade me from playing the soprano which I certainly wouldn't like. And I'm more of a soprano player anyway. And I really don't need more ukes... So what I'm essentially asking is for someone to talk me out of getting the concert. :D

Providing sound sample is no problem; in fact, I look forward to the chance to practice more.

If you need a reason to not get a concert, then IMHO both the soprano and concert sound more alike than different. You've already got the Kamaka sound in your soprano.

Providing sound sample is no problem; in fact, I look forward to the chance to practice more.

If you need a reason to not get a concert, then IMHO both the soprano and concert sound more alike than different. You've already got the Kamaka sound in your soprano.

I think I've almost managed to rationalize why I don't need the concert but I'll still need to do some more research and check more sound samples. Then again, if someone would just buy the Kamaka concert from SUS, that would be a relief for me. :D

Dohle...”Don't get me wrong, I adore the Kamaka soprano. I find the slightly thinner tone is really nice for some lighter strumming or fingerpicking but I feel I need to really dig in to the uke in order to get a clearer note out of it. Obviously, that has to do with the strings as well but I haven't found a set I'd like more than the black nylons.”
I am going to try some gut strings.
If you look up the thread “nylon fans assemble” down towards the bottom of the first page there is a video of Jake Shimabukuro playing some vintage ukes with gut strings, beautiful sound. He plays a Nunes built Koa soprano then several others but towards the end of the video he comes back to it. It is worth a listen. Anyway, I’m going to give gut strings a try.
The Nunes Uke starts around minute 12 or so of the video.

I found a used Kamaka concert and I must say, that when it arrived I shortly realized it is my dream uke. And ever since it has been my favorite one. It is very easy to play - for example I find the barre chords a breeze with it. It makes me feel a much better a player than I am. And the sound is perfect to me.

I almost bought a Kamaka soprano too, but I will postpone that dream. I'm really enjoying Ken Timms soprano at the moment, so I'm not in a hurry. Maybe I'm lucky again and will find a used one this time around too. But the Kamaka sound is so pleasing, that I'll get a soprano too, some day.

Top Bottom