Audio interface & Ubass

FinnP

Reaction score
Hi
I bought a Korg M2 audio interface and wonder what's the best way to connect my Kala Arcacia bass . It's the old model without preamp.
Should I use jack to XLR or jack to jack (instrument) for the best audio quality?
I have a DI box and a Behringer ADI 21 too.
Thanks

I have a few interfaces and mixers. The only way I could determine which sounds and works best for me is to plug them in and test. I've tried with XLR, 1/4 inch, 1/8 inch, with and without adapters, and they all seem to sound the same to me.

This is Michael Kohan in Los Angeles, Beverly Grove near the Beverly Center
9 tenor cutaway ukes, 4 acoustic bass ukes, 12 solid body bass ukes, 14 mini electric bass guitars (Total: 39)

• Donate to The Ukulele Kids Club, they provide ukuleles to children in hospital music therapy programs. www.theukc.org
• Member The CC Strummers: YouTube: www.youtube.com/user/CCStrummers/video, Facebook: www.facebook.com/TheCCStrummers

I can’t answer your question. All I can say is that I love my very simple Apogee Jam. I plug into my bass with the standard guitar cable and the other end into the Jam and then from the Jam into my computer with the Jam’s usb end. No drivers involved. GB gives me the effects I want.

I'm not familiar with that particular interface, but jack to jack (1/4" input) should be just fine - that's what it is for. Save the XLR input for a microphone or if that happens to be the output from your DI or other effects boxes.

Whether you want the DI and/or ADI in the middle is up to you. It depends on what you're recording into and what kinds of processing you're going to do in the host. Like Kimosabe said, you can do "preamp like" stuff (and more) in your DAW/host, but if you're used to the ADI, you may find it easier to dial in the sound you're after that way.

One thing I’m slowly learning from the pros is to record everything dry and add the effects afterwards. Saves a lot of trouble in the long run.

One thing I’m slowly learning from the pros is to record everything dry and add the effects afterwards. Saves a lot of trouble in the long run.
I've generally practiced that too, but recently found that my video camera has a "low cut" filter I had not been using. I always go through noise reduction processing with the captured audio, but it's a lot cleaner with that filter on, so now I've left that "effect" on for everything. So if you have a preamp box that gives you a clean signal with basically the tone you want, I think that's OK to record with that even though it isn't technically "dry".

But I agree with you about true effects like delay, reverb, distortion, etc. It's much easier to dial that in later in the process.

Good advice, Mr. Hanks. I’ll try that. If you’re recording in a bedroom rather than a proper studio, or even in a proper studio, there is always some background noise.

If you’re recording in a bedroom rather than a proper studio, or even in a proper studio, there is always some background noise.
Yeah, on the iPad I use a plugin called Brusfri that is pretty close to magic. I think there is a desktop version too that cost a little more, but on the desktop I got a holiday special from izotope that does similar to Brusfri.

Thank's I'll try that. Strange I just Got a Blacklisted msg. Wien I tried to reply.

Every so often the forum hangs in weird ways, sometimes it sends erroneous messages, sometimes it will not load up properly, sometimes a message will say you have to wait 30 seconds before posting. It's because the powers that be are grappling with idea of moving the forum to a new host service and not having the infrastructure to fix things. I always suggest to click the Go Advanced button, then Submit Reply there.

Top Bottom