Help: Koaloha Long Neck Pineapple vs. Concert Factory Second

Puglele

Reaction score
I know these aren’t really the same beasts but they are very close IMO:
1. The prices for them are almost the same (around 900USD)
2. Both have concert neck so I have enough space for finger picking
3. Pineapple shape gives a fuller sound; same as concert body?

Because the concert is factory second, the price is discounted. does it really make a difference in quality? Are the “blemishes” worth only 10% off?

Most blem models or seconds aren’t SUPER bad because most companies are less than stoked about horrid examples of their work getting out there.

That said, there might be some (almost always aesthetic) thing that sets it apart from a standard model. I have a blem Pono where the abalone rosette wasn’t handled correctly and you can definitely see it. But it also sounds, plays, and feels amazing and it’s one of my favorite ukes so I don’t mind such a small thing like a less-than-shiny rosette. ;-)

Whether it’s worth it to you is a whole other thing, though. Some people want the money to go to an instrument that’s as perfect as can be and I get that, but looks only go skin deep.

I know these aren’t really the same beasts but they are very close IMO:
1. The prices for them are almost the same (around 900USD)
2. Both have concert neck so I have enough space for finger picking
3. Pineapple shape gives a fuller sound; same as concert body?

Because the concert is factory second, the price is discounted. does it really make a difference in quality? Are the “blemishes” worth only 10% off?

Don't know about pineapple shape sound; but WRT blemish: you can always ask them what is the blemish and what their return policy is.

I'm actually a big fan of blem models. They come with character.

Koaloha factory 'second' are only sold at the factory so you can take your pick there. I played probably around 20 concerts in their showroom and they were all great with main differences in the look of the koa. I did not inspect them closely enough to notice any blemishes.

I am not sure what you mean with pineapple? There are the pineapple sundae ones that pops makes and they are expensive, and then there are the Opio pineapple sundaes that are priced like regular KoAloha. I compared three of those at one of my showroom visits and they were not player grade, more suitable for decoration. If you want a great uke get a KoAloha concert, if you want a novelty item get an Opio pineapple.

FWIW, I've owned a number of blem KoAlohas in the past and had to guess at what the blem was on each of them. And of the KoAlohas that have passed through my hands, the one that I really miss is a super concert. It sounded great. That concert body was the perfect size IMO--between the barky soprano and the booming tenor. So of the two, I'd personally opt for the concert--though it's hard to go wrong with either.

Koaloha factory 'second' are only sold at the factory so you can take your pick there. I played probably around 20 concerts in their showroom and they were all great with main differences in the look of the koa. I did not inspect them closely enough to notice any blemishes.

I am not sure what you mean with pineapple? There are the pineapple sundae ones that pops makes and they are expensive, and then there are the Opio pineapple sundaes that are priced like regular KoAloha. I compared three of those at one of my showroom visits and they were not player grade, more suitable for decoration. If you want a great uke get a KoAloha concert, if you want a novelty item get an Opio pineapple.
By Pineapple I mean the ksm-03 model.

Sent you a pm, thanks.

Kand then there are the Opio pineapple sundaes that are priced like regular KoAloha. I compared three of those at one of my showroom visits and they were not player grade, more suitable for decoration. If you want a great uke get a KoAloha concert, if you want a novelty item get an Opio pineapple.

I don't know that this is fair. I'm not saying you didn't care for the Opio Pineapple Sunday, you obviously didn't, but I have a concert scale Opio Pineapple Sunday that I am quite fond of.

I don't know that this is fair. I'm not saying you didn't care for the Opio Pineapple Sunday, you obviously didn't, but I have a concert scale Opio Pineapple Sunday that I am quite fond of.

I hope that the ones in the showroom were exceptions maybe because they were seconds. I was just surprised that there were KoAlohas that were so quiet compared to the others I played there.

To the contrary, they are sold through some of their distribution chain. Right now, Ukulele Station ( HMS outlet ) has 3 or 4 "Factory Specials" which they characterize as KoAloha B-Stock. They, too, share that the blemishes are hard to find and don't affect play-ability. FWIW, they also have Pineapple versions :)

Top Bottom