Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Ukulele rack

Quote Originally Posted by snowdenn View Post
    Looks great! Do you worry at all about the foam affecting the finish on your instruments?
    Not particularly. It's pretty decent quality foam but they do get marked after a long time. If it's bothersome enough, it's cheap to replace the foam at any detachable part.

Quote Originally Posted by KevinTJH View Post
    Not particularly. It's pretty decent quality foam but they do get marked after a long time. If it's bothersome enough, it's cheap to replace the foam at any detachable part.
    Wait, the ukes get marked after a while? I just ask because on guitar forums there's all sorts of discussions about different guitar stand foam chemically reacting with nitrocellulose finishes. I got paranoid enough that I just wrapped the foam on my guitar stand in cloth. Plus I needed the extra padding because the stand was too big for my smallest ukes.

I have a Les Paul that was eaten clean through to the wood by some cheapo stand that had something like surgical tubing as cushion. That wasn’t me, though, but the previous owner.

Anyway, when I started putting together my uke hangers, I asked a guitar builder and he said if I’m worried, to wrap the hanger in nylon string and it would be fine. Some of the hangers have nylon wrapping and others don’t - so far no difference, but if you’re thinking of making your own and it’s a concern of yours, nylon string is cheap and easy. ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by LukuleleStrings View Post
    I asked a guitar builder and he said if I’m worried, to wrap the hanger in nylon string and it would be fine.
    Paracord would probably be good for that, and it comes in different colors.
    Too many ukes, but I can't stop buying!
    https://www.catskillukulelegroup.com/

Kevin, I really like your innovative DIY rack!
    Where/how did you purchase the foam?
    Thanks for sharing!

Kevin love the look. Did you use that paint that can go over things including plastic? The black and red looks good. Would it work to hold cases and gig bags with ukes in them or does it need more spacing between? Thanks for sharing.

I took a normal rack for e-guitars and and moved the bottom pipes closer at one end and lowered the top pipe in one end. Now I can store instruments of different sizes. The last one is a Cordoba travelguitar, the others soprano, concert, tenor , tipple.

I sized it for soprano to a romantic size guitar, as I only had two ukuleles at that time.

The rack has been wrapped in cotton handlebar tape for roadbikes, to protect the finish.

For only one size would be much easier, as then all angles would be 90 degrees

Why was the photo rotated??

2020-03-29 13.14.26.jpg 2020-05-28 23.52.29.jpg
    Last edited by Poul Hansen; 05-28-2020 at 12:16 PM.
    Mahimahi MS-35W Soprano Willow
    Mahimahi MC-35W Concerto Willow
    Mahimahi MT-35W Tenore Willow
    Geso GC-85 Concert
    Geso GT-85 Tenor
    Reno RU-210 Soprano
    Makala MK-C Concert
    Martin T-15 Tiple 1956
    Just Povlsen Uke 790, 1947
    Cordoba Mini M Guitalele in A
    Cordoba Mini M Guitalele in E

Quote Originally Posted by Poul Hansen View Post
    I took a normal rack for e-guitars and and moved the bottom pipes closer at one end and lowered the top pipe in one end. Now I can store instruments of different sizes. The last one is a Cordoba travelguitar, the others soprano, concert, tenor , tipple.

I sized it for soprano to a romantic size guitar, as I only had two ukuleles at that time.

The rack has been wrapped in cotton handlebar tape for roadbikes, to protect the finish.

For only one size would be much easier, as then all angles would be 90 degrees

Why was the photo rotated??

2020-03-29 13.14.26.jpg 2020-05-28 23.52.29.jpg
    That's pretty cool! And bar tape! Why didn't I think of that?

Quote Originally Posted by snowdenn View Post
    Wait, the ukes get marked after a while? I just ask because on guitar forums there's all sorts of discussions about different guitar stand foam chemically reacting with nitrocellulose finishes. I got paranoid enough that I just wrapped the foam on my guitar stand in cloth. Plus I needed the extra padding because the stand was too big for my smallest ukes.
    Sorry, I should've clarified. I meant marks on the foam, as in indents over time. This is no different to pretty much all guitar racks I know of, with solid-body electric guitars having sharp edges and weighing 3-5kg each.

Quote Originally Posted by Ernie View Post
    Kevin, I really like your innovative DIY rack!
    Where/how did you purchase the foam?
    Thanks for sharing!
    Thank you! All materials (including foam) were purchased from a hardware store. In Australia, we have Bunnings which is basically a hardware warehouse chain that monopolised that industry, but they do have everything you need in one store.

Quote Originally Posted by quiltingshirley View Post
    Kevin love the look. Did you use that paint that can go over things including plastic? The black and red looks good. Would it work to hold cases and gig bags with ukes in them or does it need more spacing between? Thanks for sharing.
    Thanks! It's paint by Rust-O-Leum that works on plastic as well. My biggest mistake was not scuffing up the smooth PVC surface areas, so the paint looks okay, but easily chipped off if bumped. Since it was built from scratch, you can of course, adjust the spacing any way you like. The metal rod inside is an absolute must to keep each short piece of PVC sturdy enough.

The stand fits Sopranos perfectly, but the Uke Bass turned out to be a giant. Thankfully nothing is glued on so I could still move the pieces to accommodate.
    I may look at building a sturdier one made out of wood that can accommodate different sizes.

Made my guitar stand years ago from recycled jarrah my ukes just lay on the floor .28E3A2B9-9561-4710-AB7F-1A8CF321F408.jpg

Thread Information