Thread: Heavy duty sanding.

Default Heavy duty sanding.

I’m trying out this Zirconia cloth backed loading on my 16-32 sander it’s supposed to last up to 3 times longer than than the other leadings. I have this stuff on my disc belt sander and it does last a long time.
    The problem I found was it’s not very flexible and it leaves a hump at the ends of the drum where it anchors...I found the way to get round this problem was to fit the loading twice. First fitting was to see where the hump stands out most , then with a marker pen make a dotted line on the hump, then remove the loading and flex the material at the mark back and forth until; it’s nice and supple Then fit it again to the drum and you will find the hump has gone.
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/75mm-Clot...72.m2749.l2649
    DC018468-04AF-410E-B38A-82DF162CDD62 by Ken Timms, on Flickr
    A0DCBD30-3EB4-48F5-85DD-2B9F46BCF736 by Ken Timms, on Flickr
    Last edited by Timbuck; 05-26-2020 at 06:26 AM.
    http://ukulele-innovation.tripod.com ebay i/d squarepeg_3000 Email timmsken@hotmail.com

If you can believe that moving images and sound, can fly through empty space across the universe and be seen and heard on a box in your living room ?.. then you can believe in anything.

Great tip. Thanks!
    Last edited by eclipsme; 05-27-2020 at 02:59 AM.

Hi timbuck , how do i buy one of your jet 10 x 20 plus repair kits please , oh , & how much do they cost ?

Would it be worthwhile to make the entire belt supple before installing it? I don't have one of these, and I'm sure I never will, but my Triton arrived a couple of days ago.
    Too many ukes, but I can't stop buying!
    https://www.catskillukulelegroup.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Jerryc41 View Post
    Would it be worthwhile to make the entire belt supple before installing it? I don't have one of these, and I'm sure I never will, but my Triton arrived a couple of days ago.
    No only the area where it connects at a sharp angle to the edge of the anchor slots.
    http://ukulele-innovation.tripod.com ebay i/d squarepeg_3000 Email timmsken@hotmail.com

If you can believe that moving images and sound, can fly through empty space across the universe and be seen and heard on a box in your living room ?.. then you can believe in anything.

Quote Originally Posted by steve meredith View Post
    Hi timbuck , how do i buy one of your jet 10 x 20 plus repair kits please , oh , & how much do they cost ?
    Sorry I sold the last one I had in stock a few days ago...I don’t think I’ll be making anymore.

Thanks for the tip Ken! Coincidentally I ordered some of the Zirconia last week for the 16-32, but since I always seem to have problems with the belt clamp folds protruding when using the Hermes cloth backed loadings, I shall follow your advice!
    Cheers
    Paul

Just wondering what your experience of actually using the zirconia is Ken? In my case I think I will be gravitating back to Hermes. Apart from the extra heavy duty backing causing issues at the ends, the 80 grit seems a lot coarser than the Hermes 80 and leaves deeper scratch marks, such that a run through with 120 now seems essential rather than optional. Also, rather bizarrely the noise level whilst sanding has increased to the point I need to use earmuffs. No idea why this should be so, but interested to know if you have noticed anything?
    Cheers
    Paul

Quote Originally Posted by Wildestcat View Post
    Just wondering what your experience of actually using the zirconia is Ken? In my case I think I will be gravitating back to Hermes. Apart from the extra heavy duty backing causing issues at the ends, the 80 grit seems a lot coarser than the Hermes 80 and leaves deeper scratch marks, such that a run through with 120 now seems essential rather than optional. Also, rather bizarrely the noise level whilst sanding has increased to the point I need to use earmuffs. No idea why this should be so, but interested to know if you have noticed anything?
    I have noticed the deeper scratch marks ..and I think I’ll be swapping over to Zirconia 100 grit in the future...I don’t notice the noise increase as I’m hard of hearing..and the extractor is running full on in the same area.

Quote Originally Posted by steve meredith View Post
    There is another thread on the new Jet 1020 Benchtop, with new feed design that seems not to need the fix, priced around $750. I got one in March and so far so good.
    -Vinnie

Thread Information