Which finger for clawhammer?

• Index finger

Votes: 6 66.7%
  • Middel finger

Votes: 3 33.3%

• Total voters

UkingViking

Reaction score
I have wathed a few videos on clawhammer ukulele, and I am not sure which finger to use for the melody.

My first instinct was my index, which I usually strum with.
I heard that banjo players use the middle finger.
I heard former banjo who thought the index finger might give more control but can't change habits.
I am trying out the middle finger after trying with my index, because it is more rigid and protrudes more, allowing me to support it with my index, thus not tiring my fingers too fast.

Those of you who play clawhammer, which finger do you use?

Edit:
I realise that some people would find it funny to show an emoji of their favored finger as an answer, and I recognise that it really funny, I suggest that you use the poll in stead just in case the moderators don't :)

Last edited:
This was a perennial question back in the days when I played clawhammer banjo and frequented banjo player forums online.
In my opinion, the answer, as is often the case with banjos and ukuleles, is that it’s up to you which finger you prefer. My own preference was to use my middle finger but I could use my ring finger, and even my pinkie, if the nail broke on my middle finger.
I seldom used my index finger.... but I could do it.
I seriously question the validity of any arguments for one finger (Index or Middle) being better than another, and lord knows I’ve read dozens of such arguments... but I would say it’s likely that either of those two are preferable to using the ring finger or pinkie as your control might very well suffer.
One certainty I’ve found is that each finger brings a different tone, whether I’m playing uke or banjo.
So, whichever works best - but it’s still always a good idea to be flexible.

Last edited:
I'm a new uke player but have played clawhammer banjo for about 5 years. I (and lots of others) use index. I'll bet it's roughly a 50-50 split in the banjo world. I think most of my favorite banjo modern banjo players use index, too. The fact is, I'm not altogether sure, which goes to show that it's not something I look for in banjo players, it's just a minor detail.

I also don't know which finger folks like Kyle Creed, Tommy Jarrell, or Wade Ward used - there aren't a lot of videos of them playing either, so I'd have to ask the folks lucky enough to have seen them play.

Top Bottom