Uke Logic String... wow!

shanmoon

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
I recently purchased a couple of ukes from HMS to donate to a local kids music group I help out sometimes. I wantedf them to have a tenor and concert that were better than the awful no-name laminates they were using for perfomances. The Aquila strings on them were a bit much tension wise for the younger kids, so I got some of the soft tension uke logic strings for them, as well as a set to try out on my baritone.

All I can say is "wow!" The ukes were already a step up becuase of the great HMS setup, but the uke logic strings are great. They are very balanced, not at all muffled. Anueue Black Waters were my old favorite strings, followed by Worth Browns and pHd strings, but I think these just might edge them out.

I can't say enough good things about what I think about these strings. The little Kumu sounds amazing, and the Kala sounds almost like warm bells now, but the highs don't overpower the lows at all. You can really hear the whole range of sound. They sound really great and distinct for finger picking, and just like beautiful chorus when strumming.

Based on how great they sounded and how gentle the were on my fingers on the little Kumu concert and Kala I bought for the kids, I am going to try a set on my baritone (which I don't play nearly enough) to see how they compare to the phd strings I have on it now. I think I'll also try the on my Kanile'a concert.... I have yet to find the right strings for that uke...I've tried worth browns and blackwaters and they sound good, but just don't seem right for that uke. I'm also thinking of replacing the strings on my recent Cocobolo lottery uke aquisition as I don't think the strings that came with it quite do it justice. I'll post back on my impressions.

As always, disclaimer that my opinions are that of a hobbyist that really just loves hearing the sounds of different ukes....and that I am not a professional musician, so take everything I say with a grain of salt.

I'd love to know how they perform on your new Cocobolo Ukulele, that's what I play.

I have two sets of Uke Logic strings to try out. One set is soft tension. They were recommended to me by HMS for a tenor uke I had recently purchased, which came with Aquila strings that I wasn't fond of. My arthritis was bothering me too, and the Aquilas were aggravating it. So soft tension made sense, but I've been hesitant to put them on the tenor. I figured since they were Joel's strings they should be pretty darn good. So I think you've given me the reassurance I needed to try them out very soon.

I've got a set of Uke Logic Soft Tension strings on my Cocobolo Concert. I like them a lot! The original Worth Browns were good but these might be a step up in sound and playability.

"Oops, apologies, meant to post his in uke talk, not marketplace. Deleting content and moving it over."

I didn't even notice it was in the marketplace.

But same comment: Good on you for helping the kids out! I've never tried the Anuenue Black Waters, that's on my list to try. What Uke Logic strings did you get?

I was using Worth strings before, but have pretty much completely switched over to Uke Logic. I like the high tension strings, but hate how thick the Low G string was. I emailed Joel and he sent me out the lower tension low G string to try out instead. Free of charge and no questions asked. I did end up like that setup much better.

I got the high g low tension ones. Picked pink just so I would visually see right away that I had uke logic strings on the uke.

Last edited:
I recently got two sets of low tension High Gs for my Kamakas, one of them had the alohi strings on them for over a year! And they were not as resonant especially when the air gets a little dryer here in IL. Switched over to the Uke Logics and BAM! Huge difference~ especially for the Jake Blue~

I have a set of the Uke Logic low tension low G strings that I thought I'd try on my Farallon (which for some reason is much harder to play than my other ukes). Has anyone compared the Uke Logic strings to Living Waters?

I got the high g low tension ones. Picked pink just so I would visually see right away that I had uke logic strings on the uke.

I got the same and in pink also. But I haven't put them on yet. The current strings still have a lot of life left. I couldn't really decide between low and high tension, so I might try out higher tension next time.

Is anywhere in the UK selling these? My dad has a bit of arthritis in his hand and struggles with some chords. Low tension soprano strings would be great.

Living water in my opinion sounds more glassy and bright. Both are good...

:agree: Yes, and softer, try Living Water on your Kanile'a...

:agree: Yes, and softer, try Living Water on your Kanile'a...
Which is softer? Glassy/bright/soft doesnt seem to go together?

Is anywhere in the UK selling these? My dad has a bit of arthritis in his hand and struggles with some chords. Low tension soprano strings would be great.

Nobody yet. I've bought some from HMS and they arrived fairly quickly.

I tried to Google if they have a website you could order from directly but all I could find was an Etsy store. You could order straight from there of course but shipping costs were quite high, especially for just strings. I'll probably have to wait for a more local distributor before trying these out.

I tried to Google if they have a website you could order from directly but all I could find was an Etsy store. You could order straight from there of course but shipping costs were quite high, especially for just strings. I'll probably have to wait for a more local distributor before trying these out.

Shipping (to the UK at least) is $14.50 from HMS. I guess it depends how keen you are to try them.

It was around the same from Etsy as well. It's not an absolutely massive amount, but considering I could only buy two string packs without having to pay import costs, that would be a 50% increase in price. Personally, I can't justify that.

That's a shame. I think they are the best strings I have tried. Especially the low tension set. I'd love for a UK dealer to stock them but I don't think that will happen anytime soon.

Top Bottom