Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Uke Logic String... wow!

For sets that claim to work across various sizes, the tension does vary. I like the Uke logic low tension strings on tenors but they don’t work for me on sopranos. On modem sounding sopranos the high tension Uke logic strings are perfect. The choice of tension depends on 1. The person’s likes 2. The setup and 3 the build for the uke.
    Some ukes are built light and for low tension, for ukes that like higher tension if the setup is not right, it will be hard to play and some folks like plunky sounds and loose strings and some prefer high tension and a lot of dynamic range... no right answer for everyone here..

Quote Originally Posted by kerneltime View Post
    For sets that claim to work across various sizes, the tension does vary. I like the Uke logic low tension strings on tenors but they don’t work for me on sopranos. On modem sounding sopranos the high tension Uke logic strings are perfect. The choice of tension depends on 1. The person’s likes 2. The setup and 3 the build for the uke.
    Some ukes are built light and for low tension, for ukes that like higher tension if the setup is not right, it will be hard to play and some folks like plunky sounds and loose strings and some prefer high tension and a lot of dynamic range... no right answer for everyone here..
    My low tension UL strings finally arrived on Friday. I put them on my Kiwaya tenor. So far, I like them a lot. They’re very comfortable to play and have a warm, rich tone especially when plucked or strummed with the pad of my thumb. I’m not a big fan of the way they sound when I strum them hard with all my nails, as I often play... but. They’d probably be brilliant with a felt pick or for a player with no nails. I had one nail I’d just filed and didn’t polish the top...it sounded horrible, until I polished the ridge off the edge that formed when I filed it. Sadly, that was the first sound I heard from these strings.
    I agree they’re probably best suited for tenors. That C string is especially fat... any fatter and it would pinch in the nut slot.
    Last edited by Swamp Yankee; 06-16-2020 at 08:09 AM.
    Sopranos: aNueNue Khaya Mahogany 1, Bruko No. 6; Kiwaya KS-1; Kiwaya KTS-4; Kiwaya KTS-4K; Martin S-O
    Concerts:Cahaya CY-0112; Kiwaya KTC-1; Kiwaya KPC-1M; Kiwaya KCU-1, Takumi TC-1M, Takumi TC-3K, Musicguymic’s Kolohe
    Tenors: Cordoba 24T; Kiwaya KTT-2K
    Baritones: Cordoba 24B

Quote Originally Posted by Swamp Yankee View Post
    .......That C string is especially fat... any fatter and it would pinch in the nut slot.
    I'm surprised that you find the C string so fat. They publish it as .032", when the Martin M620 C string is .034".
    John

Quote Originally Posted by Ukecaster View Post
    I'm surprised that you find the C string so fat. They publish it as .032", when the Martin M620 C string is .034".
    That is surprising! I took a set of Martin 620s off to replace them with the UL strings. The UL C string seemed significantly fatter - and, like I said, seemed to just fit in the nut slot. Maybe it was packaged incorrectly? Maybe I'm full of ****...dunno. But it does seem fatter.
    They are comfortable strings though, and as they settle in I'm digging them more and more.
    Sopranos: aNueNue Khaya Mahogany 1, Bruko No. 6; Kiwaya KS-1; Kiwaya KTS-4; Kiwaya KTS-4K; Martin S-O
    Concerts:Cahaya CY-0112; Kiwaya KTC-1; Kiwaya KPC-1M; Kiwaya KCU-1, Takumi TC-1M, Takumi TC-3K, Musicguymic’s Kolohe
    Tenors: Cordoba 24T; Kiwaya KTT-2K
    Baritones: Cordoba 24B

After listening to a number of sound samples on YouTube, I finally got around to buying and installing a set of Uke Logic, pink, low tension, high G on a Kamaka Tenor.

Thoughts:
    - light tension is probably right (for me) on a tenor--it almost feels "normal tension," so I fear for what hard tension feels like
    - tone is on the bright side--sweet and bright are how I'd describe it...but all subjective terms
    - sustain is outstanding
    - I do appreciate that it ships with 2 A strings
    - pink color is distinctive; I probably would only have offered it in pink from a branding perspective - uke logic = pink strings
    - the A string sounds a bit thin and bright, perhaps "tinny" when strummed--almost like a plastic uke type of sound. Not sure how to describe it but it is the least balanced string in the set, IMO. I don't know if adding 0.01 to it would make it any better or even worse--and maybe I'll get used to the sound, but that's the one strange string in the set.

Has anyone tried tuning higher on shorter scales? Like D tuning on soprano (or concert?) with the low tension set. I wonder how that works
    Ukulele:
    Iriguchi Tenor "Weeble" - A, WoU Clarity
    Blue Star 19" baritone Konablaster - DGBE
    Cocobolo 16" SC#1-gCEA, SC SLMU
    Ono #42 19" baritone, Ab, LW
    Imua iET-Bb, M600
    Covered Bridge CLN pineapple - Eb cuatro, SC XLL
    Rogue bari
    Bonanza super tenor, cFAD SC LHU
    Kala KSLNG, Eb SC XLU
    Hanson 5-string tenor, dGCEA
    Bonanza SLN GCEA
    Bonanzalele concert
    Guitars:
    Jupiter #47, G, TI CF127
    Pelem, B reentrant
    Jupiter #71, A, UG1

!Flukutronic!

I can not find any info about this company. Are they only available from HMS?

Quote Originally Posted by merlin666 View Post
    I can not find any info about this company. Are they only available from HMS?
    They're made by Joel from HMS. I think he also sells them on Etsy.

They have talked about the strings in some of the HMS podcasts. Joel worked for a couple of years with a fishing line company until he had exactly what he wanted for the strings. Both hard and low tension. I forget whose wound Low-G he adopted.

David Ingalls had them on his new Laminate ukuleles he introduced on an HMS podcast. It's available on the Ono Ukuleles website.

Joel Blechinger's company, UkeLogic, offers them at www.theukulelesite.com and at etsy under the UkeLogic name.
    There is a subtle yet profound difference between the learning of something and the knowing of that thing.
    You can learn by reading, but you don’t begin to know until you begin to try to do.

—Lou Churchill, Plane & Pilot Magazine

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Hanks View Post
    Has anyone tried tuning higher on shorter scales? Like D tuning on soprano (or concert?) with the low tension set. I wonder how that works
    When I look at the specs for the single low G strings it is evident that low tension means thin and high tension means thick. I assume that if you use them on different size instruments you will need to adjust tuning to have similar tension experience on each instrument, or use thicker strings for tenor and thinner strings for smaller sizes. It sure would help if they had a tension chart that shows actual tension of sets for different scale lengths and tunings. If we knew diameters of all strings we could plug them into the D'Addario calculator to do this.

Thread Information