Latest new toy on order

Timbuck

Reaction score
To give myself a rest from the ukuleles for a short while I decided to find a new plaything...and this caught my interest ... My Son “Mike” say’s he wants to use it as well So it looks like we both will be having a bit fun.:D
7361BAE1-8708-4783-8002-5F240A03425A by Ken Timms, on Flickr

Oh dear I cancelled the order...it turns out it’s now “out of stock”....I don’t understand why these people advertise something on eBay when they don’t have any in stock.:(

Although I like the idea of a 3-D printer, I hesitate to buy one because I find out that I should have bought a different model, and then, I wouldn't know what to do with it. :D

My eBay shows many different models available. But - I will resist!
https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fr...0.X3-d+printer.TRS0&_nkw=3-d+printer&_sacat=0
Yes you have to do a lot of research...I was looking at reviews and videos for over a week before I took the plunge....I hope I made a good choice :)

Yes you have to do a lot of research...I was looking at reviews and videos for over a week before I took the plunge....I hope I made a good choice :)

I have no intention to plunging. If I did buy one, I'd have to search for reasons to use it. :D

It depends a lot on your intended use and budget, but intermediate brands like Prusa are cheaper than the big boys like Stratasys and HP, and can come increasingly close in quality. For just tinkering around, it obviously matters a lot less.

Daniel Hulbert (Circuits and Strings) recently did a 3D backpacker printed ukulele. I’m tempted to go down this path to make inexpensive practice ukuleles for my students—especially if distance learning continues in the fall (I teach elementary students but cover ukuleles with my 5th grade. Next year I’ll have about 68 4th grade students.

I have no intention to plunging. If I did buy one, I'd have to search for reasons to use it.
it's a bit like asking "why a mountineer wants to climb a mountain"? A - Because it's there.;) To be honest I'm really getting it for my Son Mike as a gift as he plans to do some prototype work for his electronic drum business ... his cash flow is now reduced due to him being a part time professional drummer and the income he used to get from gigging has dried up due to Corvid-19 so I'm helping him out :love:. but I do find these printers fascinating about 20 years ago I saw a resin bath type 3D printer demonstrated and i was gob smacked when I saw a diagram that was on a computer screen (A model car) suddenly started growing as a solid 3 D object inside the tank :bowdown: like watching a sci-fi movie eg: the Star-Treck replicator...I remember when the guy took it out.. and the wheels turned on the axles and he rolled it along the desktop.... Amazing. see here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-8rW2ts9lc0 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8a2xNaAkvLo

Last edited:
it's a bit like asking "why a mountineer wants to climb a mountain"? A - Because it's there.;) To be honest I'm really getting it for my Son Mike as a gift as he plans to do some prototype work for his electronic drum business ... his cash flow is now reduced due to him being a part time professional drummer and the income he used to get from gigging has dried up due to Corvid-19 so I'm helping him out :love:. but I do find these printers fascinating about 20 years ago I saw a resin bath type 3D printer demonstrated and i was gob smacked when I saw a diagram that was on a computer screen (A model car) suddenly started growing as a solid 3 D object inside the tank :bowdown: like watching a sci-fi movie eg: the Star-Treck replicator...I remember when the guy took it out.. and the wheels turned on the axles and he rolled it along the desktop.... Amazing. see here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-8rW2ts9lc0 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8a2xNaAkvLo

Now stop that! I bought the Triton sander, so don't force me to buy more stuff. This is much too tempting. :D

Last edited:
Expensive way to get something like that, Ken You could buy one for a few pennies!

John Colter

True John...it was just a test piece of software for setting up the machine...My Son Mike is now in the process of designing a unique bit of stuff for his electronic drum kit..all top secret of course ;)

Yes several plastic materials can be used....The only ukulele use I can think of, is to drill a hole through its ear and hang it as a mascot from the headstock.:)
FAC10F19-7D77-4571-B9C1-F08689181728 by Ken Timms, on Flickr

I've always wanted a little statue of a cat. I guess I'll start shopping for 3D printers. ;)

Like owning a computer, the software is the key to happiness with a 3D printer. Typically, computer software costs many times the price of the computer. Since 1999, Quicken says I've spent almost $6,700 on computer software.

This experimental phase of 3D printing has gone better than expected...we now have 3 printers operating all at once mainly producing components for the Sons electronic drum business...I managed to get hold of a couple more machines at a bargain price.....it turns out that some people aren’t prepared for the learning curve that comes with these CNC devices (software designing & G codes etc) the guys that I bought these off couldn’t get past the initial stage levelling of the build plate, and they soon gave up on them and decided to get rid...so be aware.

I think tuning peg buttons could be produced on these printers without much difficulty, maybe vintage shapes that aren’t available anymore...watch this space :)
77112A3B-0B05-4D95-AE1A-463D21C04962.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom