Vintage Ukes lost to El Kabong

Exactly why you have a couple of plastic ukes from the 5Below store around.

I had completely forgotten about that episode of Quick Draw McGraw.

Hey Babba Louie...!

Many of those who watched Quick Draw McGraw are now avid ukulele players. But back then, none noticed it had four tuners and even then, may not have known that guitars had six. And this preceded Tiny Tim, so they may not have even known what an uke was. So if they played El Kabong, it would likely have been with a guitar. So did anyone on this forum play El Kabong with a guitar (probably not or their rear end would still be hurting from the punishment).

I think that might be where my Emenee plastic "guitar" ended up... but that was long before I learned to play an instrument.

Of course, I also remember the 6-string acoustic guitar I learned how to play (We got if free with the purchase of an RCA/Whirlpool Refrigerator!) It had developed a real bad rattle, so I figured I' fix it. Couldn't be difficult - I'd just take the binding off, and then the back would just pop off.. except that it didn't, so I tried to take it apart and ended up breaking the wood.... then I dropped it...

I was really good at taking things apart as a kid, but not necessarily putting them back together.

I should have been an engineer.

-Kurt​

At least the El Kabong ukulele is a baritone. I'd be upset if it was a soprano.

Looking at the video, I had the exact same thought. Definitely seems like a baritone judging by the size. :D

The first ukulele I built and gave to one of my nephews. His older brother was a little "jealous", and did the old "El Kabong." We have all moved on....

Top Bottom