NUD: Martin Iz...

UkerDanno

Reaction score
I've been wanting one of these since I heard about them, or they came out, not sure which. Hesitated because it's a tenor and I always struggled with tenor. Always preferred high G and my Kanile'a filled that slot perfectly. High G works for most of what I like to play, but some songs work better with low G, so I was looking for a tenor for Low G tuning. I got an Epiphone hummingbird about a year ago and found that I could play a tenor with a little practice, so after coming into some unexpected money (another reason I hesitated on the Iz) I was looking for a nice tenor. I looked at all the Hawaiian Big K's and didn't see anything that really struck me, so when I found a good deal on the Iz I jumped on it. Iz, is the reason I play the ukulele, a local radio station always used to play his Somewhere over the Rainbow/Wonderful World medley and I loved the sound, so that's why I first bought an ukulele.

IMG_20200528_101947049_HDR.jpg IMG_20200528_102023534_HDR.jpg IMG_20200528_102032362_HDR.jpg IMG_20200528_102130315_HDR.jpg IMG_20200528_102139340_HDR.jpg

The sound is amazingly loud and clear and the fit and finish is first rate! It came with high G, gray Martins, I guess. I immediately restrung it with Living Water low G.

Last edited:
Congrats on a beautiful instrument, I bet it sounds great with those Living Waters on it! :shaka:

Nut width is 1-5/16", spacing is 3/8". That is one thing I like about Kanile'a, the 1-1/2" nut, string spacing is the same though. Nut width on my old Martin is 1-3/8". Unsure about the bushings, I've never seen Pegheads up close.

Love the look of your IZ. Mine is an older, dark finish with a crudely-made bridge on it. The quilt pattern of the mahogany really comes through with the lighter finish on your Martin.

I could never figure out why they decided to go with a flat finish on that gorgeous mahogany body. It just kills the beauty of the wood.

Congratulations! It's a terrific instrument.

Love the look of your IZ. Mine is an older, dark finish with a crudely-made bridge on it. The quilt pattern of the mahogany really comes through with the lighter finish on your Martin.

I could never figure out why they decided to go with a flat finish on that gorgeous mahogany body. It just kills the beauty of the wood.

Congratulations! It's a terrific instrument.

Thanks, I kind of like the satin finish, but gloss would look amazing!

1 5/16" nut? That equates to 33.34 mm, even skinnier than the T1k I had, which was 34.6 mm. Real purdy though, enjoy!

Yeah, it's kind of narrow...I had a C1K, I think the nut was 1-3/8"...
IMG_20200528_132759934_HDR.jpg

The C tuner seems to be not "screwed" in as far as the others, it also slips once in a while. Is there a way to tighten?
IMG_20200528_132714094_HDR.jpg

The C tuner seems to be not "screwed" in as far as the others, it also slips once in a while. Is there a way to tighten?
View attachment 127413[/QUOTE]

The PegHeds are threaded and screw into the wood from the back side of the headstock. (Look for the YouTube video of Gordon showing how to install PegHeds on MyaMoe Ukuleles.) Adjusting PegHed tuners: www.youtube.com/watch?v=94q3vk_F1dI
Other videos on how to install are also on YouTube.

It looks as though the C-tuner was screwed in a little too far.

The only way I know of to tighten them are by pushing them in a little more firmly. If they are slipping a bit, I pull the key (back) end out to disengage the gears and then push it back in to tighten its grip. Sometimes have to wiggle (barely turning the key back and forth) as you push.

There's nothing else to adjust them that I know of.

Last edited:
Wow that's beautiful.
Since Iz was your inspiration to try ukulele, this ukulele has the potential to be a great inspiration to your playing.

Enjoy it!

Martin lists all their tenor nut widths (including the IZ) as 1 11/32" which is thinner than their concerts and sopranos listed at 1 13/32". Apparently, they have some of the thinnest tenor nut widths around.

Wow that's beautiful.
Since Iz was your inspiration to try ukulele, this ukulele has the potential to be a great inspiration to your playing.

Enjoy it!

Yes, I think so too, especially with a lot of the rock songs that groups I play with like to play.

Martin lists all their tenor nut widths (including the IZ) as 1 11/32" which is thinner than their concerts and sopranos listed at 1 13/32". Apparently, they have some of the thinnest tenor nut widths around.

I was pretty surprised at how narrow it is...

Thanks!

View attachment 127413

The PegHeds are threaded and screw into the wood from the back side of the headstock. (Look for the YouTube video of Gordon showing how to install PegHeds on MyaMoe Ukuleles.) Adjusting PegHed tuners: www.youtube.com/watch?v=94q3vk_F1dI
Other videos on how to install are also on YouTube.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the link!

Congrats! If I played a tenor, I'd have to have one like yours!

Top Bottom