Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: NUD: Martin Iz...

Default NUD: Martin Iz...

I've been wanting one of these since I heard about them, or they came out, not sure which. Hesitated because it's a tenor and I always struggled with tenor. Always preferred high G and my Kanile'a filled that slot perfectly. High G works for most of what I like to play, but some songs work better with low G, so I was looking for a tenor for Low G tuning. I got an Epiphone hummingbird about a year ago and found that I could play a tenor with a little practice, so after coming into some unexpected money (another reason I hesitated on the Iz) I was looking for a nice tenor. I looked at all the Hawaiian Big K's and didn't see anything that really struck me, so when I found a good deal on the Iz I jumped on it. Iz, is the reason I play the ukulele, a local radio station always used to play his Somewhere over the Rainbow/Wonderful World medley and I loved the sound, so that's why I first bought an ukulele.

IMG_20200528_101947049_HDR.jpg IMG_20200528_102023534_HDR.jpg IMG_20200528_102032362_HDR.jpg IMG_20200528_102130315_HDR.jpg IMG_20200528_102139340_HDR.jpg

The sound is amazingly loud and clear and the fit and finish is first rate! It came with high G, gray Martins, I guess. I immediately restrung it with Living Water low G.
    Last edited by UkerDanno; 05-28-2020 at 07:55 AM.
    Just Play

Sopranos: 1st uke, Lanikai soprano LU-11 - Aquilas | 30's Martin style 0 - Martins
    Concerts: Kanile'a K-2 CP - Living Water | Islander AC-4 - Living Water | Waverly Street banjolele - Worth Browns
    Tenor: Martin Iz - Living Water low G
    UBass: Kala FS2 (fretless) - Pahoehoe | Kala Acacia - Pahoehoe

Congrats! Love the quilted mahogany grain. What are the tuners on there, are they Pegheds? A classy uke all around.
    Last edited by Ukecaster; 05-28-2020 at 07:59 AM.
    John

Quote Originally Posted by Ukecaster View Post
    Congrats! Love the burled mahogany grain. What are the tuners on there, are they frictions?
    Pegheads...
    Just Play

Sopranos: 1st uke, Lanikai soprano LU-11 - Aquilas | 30's Martin style 0 - Martins
    Concerts: Kanile'a K-2 CP - Living Water | Islander AC-4 - Living Water | Waverly Street banjolele - Worth Browns

Congrats on a beautiful instrument, I bet it sounds great with those Living Waters on it!
    If music be the food of love, play on! -Bill Shakespeare

Quote Originally Posted by UkerDanno View Post
    Pegheads...
    Nice, what's the nut width and string spread there? Martin doesn't seem to list it on their site. Strangely, they list only fingerboard width at 12th fret, and string spacing at the bridge. Also, it appears they are using small black bushings with the Pegheds on the front of the headstock, is that right? If so, I've never seen Pegheds with front bushings before. Thanks.
    Last edited by Ukecaster; 05-28-2020 at 08:14 AM.
    John

Nut width is 1-5/16", spacing is 3/8". That is one thing I like about Kanile'a, the 1-1/2" nut, string spacing is the same though. Nut width on my old Martin is 1-3/8". Unsure about the bushings, I've never seen Pegheads up close.
    Just Play

1 5/16" nut? That equates to 33.34 mm, even skinnier than the T1k I had, which was 34.6 mm. Real purdy though, enjoy!
    John

Love the look of your IZ. Mine is an older, dark finish with a crudely-made bridge on it. The quilt pattern of the mahogany really comes through with the lighter finish on your Martin.

I could never figure out why they decided to go with a flat finish on that gorgeous mahogany body. It just kills the beauty of the wood.

Congratulations! It's a terrific instrument.
    There is a subtle yet profound difference between the learning of something and the knowing of that thing.
    You can learn by reading, but you don’t begin to know until you begin to try to do.

—Lou Churchill, Plane & Pilot Magazine

Quote Originally Posted by Kenn2018 View Post
    Love the look of your IZ. Mine is an older, dark finish with a crudely-made bridge on it. The quilt pattern of the mahogany really comes through with the lighter finish on your Martin.

I could never figure out why they decided to go with a flat finish on that gorgeous mahogany body. It just kills the beauty of the wood.

Congratulations! It's a terrific instrument.
    Thanks, I kind of like the satin finish, but gloss would look amazing!
    Just Play

Quote Originally Posted by Ukecaster View Post
    1 5/16" nut? That equates to 33.34 mm, even skinnier than the T1k I had, which was 34.6 mm. Real purdy though, enjoy!
    Yeah, it's kind of narrow...I had a C1K, I think the nut was 1-3/8"...
    IMG_20200528_132759934_HDR.jpg

The C tuner seems to be not "screwed" in as far as the others, it also slips once in a while. Is there a way to tighten?
    IMG_20200528_132714094_HDR.jpg
    Just Play

Thread Information