Chord Shapes always using the same Fingers?

Cherlene

Reaction score
Just started learning chords on the Ukulele and was wondering why chords are always shown using the same fingers when it is faster to change chords by modifying the fingering?

For example switching from Em to C to G is smother if use middle finger for the C chord instead of ring finger. Leading to a smoother transition for both changes.

Or when going from D to C to D. Using pinky for the C chord means leaving the other fingers in position for the D.

I am very new to ukulele, but have been playing violin for years and so more familiar with the ideal of less movements means easier to stay in tune. Which is not a concern with frets, but old habits die hard!

I always encourage my beginning students to use the standard chord chart fingering.
Once you are familiar with the chord shapes then you can modify fingers used depending on the chord you are coming from and/or going to. Bottom line there is no cut in stone way to finger a chord.

Chord fingering is always a "suggestion" to give you a starting point. Then you can modify to suit your transitions. You may use more than one fingering in the same song because the transition may be to different chords.

My usual second fret "D" is Middle, Index, Ring (2, 1, 3) because I find it more versatile for transitions than Index, Middle, Ring (1, 2, 3). Some people I know who have very bendy fingers play it as a partial barre of their index finger across the three strings.

It's a good thing to practice alternative fingerings for chords from time to time.

Depending on where I’m coming from or where I’m going to, different fingers might be used! Efficiency!

Just started learning chords on the Ukulele and was wondering why chords are always shown using the same fingers when it is faster to change chords by modifying the fingering?

For example switching from Em to C to G is smother if use middle finger for the C chord instead of ring finger. Leading to a smoother transition for both changes.

Or when going from D to C to D. Using pinky for the C chord means leaving the other fingers in position for the D.

I am very new to ukulele, but have been playing violin for years and so more familiar with the ideal of less movements means easier to stay in tune. Which is not a concern with frets, but old habits die hard!

...For even easier transitions, use barre chords off the second fret for all of the chords you’ve listed

You're not really a beginner if you are thinking about this stuff, but of course you're absolutely right. Economy of movement is really important if you want to progress past basic chords (which to be fair is at least 95% of all ukulele players).

However, there are inversions of chords further up the neck for which other fingerings might make sense later. I don't know the chord charts you are looking at of course, but that's my guess.

...chords further up the neck...

One thing that gives beginners difficulty is the inverted language. "Up" means "down," whether you're talking about the position on the neck or the location of the strings in tablature. "A" is the bottom string, but it's on top in tablature.

Beginner doesn't mean beginner. A couple of years ago, the club I go to sometimes had a new member turn up. I saw her playing for a minute and thought she could not possibly be a beginner. Turned out she was a classically trained violinist. Better than everyone else in the room after a couple of weeks!

I have no problem with thinking "up" for the neck. As you move from the nut towards the saddle, the notes become higher - yep, that's up. (Doc)

John Colter

Cherlene, I believe you have an advantage over most 'beginners' in that you
already have massive digital dexterity and digital strength from your violin
playing.
Many, if not most beginners have no muscle tone not to mention memory, dexterity
or strength when it comes to chord forming and chord changing.
I believe you will have a lot to share with us in this area of chord fingering, from
your personal playing experience, and I look forward to more of your suggestions. :)

Many of us who have been playing for some time have developed fingering preferences
which work for us unconsciously. I'm sure we can still learn from others, but in many
instances, as long as we are not bogged down or messed up with frequent and quick
chord changes, what works for us simply... works :)

That said, many beginners need encouragement and suggestions to make chord
fingerings and changes more intuitive for them. I agree that learning 'standard'
fingering is a great place to start. But beginners also need to know that they are free
to experiment and develop their own shortcuts as they grow into their playing.

Thanks for your great and eye-opening post!

keep uke'in',

Last edited:
Nice to find out that I am not doing anything "wrong" by wanting to change the chord fingerings based on where going to the next chord. :) Just skipping ahead a few steps.

Enjoyed trying out the alternative ways of doing the chords that where mentioned!!

Still working on baring without buzzing. Strings on a violin are close enough together that can 'bar' 2 strings using finger tips. Not helped by when I am tired and playing Ukulele, forget cannot be done here...

If you barre, the tip of your finger should be above the neck so the fleshy bits of your finger are pushing down against the strings. Keep your knuckles in line with the fretboard, and push the front of your hand down. If you feel like you're squeezing hard, your finger position is off.

Top Bottom