Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Luthiers know for their sopranos

Default Luthiers know for their sopranos

sorry for the typo in the subject.

Often attention is mostly focused on tenors or maybe baritones built by luthiers.
    I want to her from folks who have sopranos built by luthiers..

Here is my experience so far:

TinGuitar: Modern sound, loud up the fret, good action, bigger frets by default. Open to customization

Ken Timms: Vintage martin sounds. High quality replicas of martin. No customization. Only mahogany and koa

wunderkammer: Vintage sound. Loud. High aesthetic focus. Open to customization.

Cripple creek: Modern sound. Great action. Open to customization. My uke likes Uke logic high tension strings. Bigger frets by default (I quite like them)

I would happily recommend the luthiers above.

I am waiting for my Beau Hannam soprano... but from what I hear from Samantha Muir, it should be awesome.
    Last edited by kerneltime; 05-28-2020 at 08:58 PM.

It's a bit Europe vs. US, and Asia finding the middle ground when it comes to the usual scale of custom order or high quality ukuleles.

Pohaku sopranos are the bomb!

My Pohaku is truly amazing!

D661F439-CFC2-4D48-95DA-96AF3BB6909D.jpg

DA130B22-0BC3-4095-96A1-4F4960A1356F.jpg

Kevin Mulcock, of KM ukuleles in Wales, makes some excellent sopranos for very reasonable prices. Meticulously made. With lovely sound.

I have an KM walnut soprano that is fantastic.

Screen Shot 2019-05-12 at 12.36.02 AM.jpg
    There is a subtle yet profound difference between the learning of something and the knowing of that thing.
    You can learn by reading, but you don’t begin to know until you begin to try to do.

—Lou Churchill, Plane & Pilot Magazine

Just realized UK seems to have a thing going for sopranos... Influence of George Fromby?

I can't speak for all my fellow UK players, but I play soprano from choice. I just love the sound of them. I have played all the other sizes, and always come back to soprano. So eventually, I passed on my tenor(s) and concerts and remained a soprano addict! (Plus my sopranino)
    All power and respect to you Concert,Tenor and Baritone players, but Soprano is what does it for me every time! (And my beautiful Sopranino!)

George Formby is mostly associated with playing the banjo. I have had a small four string banjo, but soon realized that it has nothing at all in common with the ukulele - apart from the tuning.

I play the soprano ukulele because it is the size that suits me best. I have more than twenty sopranos, one concert and one tenor.

John Colter

Same here. I have one tenor I rarely play, but that's so I can play Lyle Ritz stuff. I think my baritone may be going to live on a farm, I've not looked at it for months.

I seem to be a rare British exclusively tenor player then. The soprano has never appealed to me. I am looking for a baritone now.
    Kamaka HF-3DC - Kanile'a Custom Tenor - KoAloha KTM-S00 - Pono MGTP5-PC

Quote Originally Posted by Counter View Post
    I seem to be a rare British exclusively tenor player then. The soprano has never appealed to me. I am looking for a baritone now.
    Who are we to question? If that's your position, I'm sure we won't judge.

Thread Information