Lava Music Lava U Concert Ukulele

Put in an order today. Free shipping and I'm able to see the actual instrument I'll be getting. Again, really appreciate the heads-up on this, I had no idea you could buy these in the states.

No worries, happy to help. It's no surprise you weren't aware of the site since it's less than two months old, I believe. HMS has stocked aNueNue ukes before but not at these volumes and they always sold out really quickly so they were quite a rare find.

Congrats on your new aNueNue uke, whichever you ended up with. You won't regret it. :)

Just been on the Lava website. Still no ability to buy the ukulele strap (the only strap that works with the uke). The guitar strap is available though... for £59.......

£59 for a strap... for the only strap that works...

These people are insane.

Right. Because nothing ruins the sound of an instrument more, than an expensive strap. They sound even worse when the strap is not available. Just for that, I'm never going to buy another Lava U.

Right. Because nothing ruins the sound of an instrument more, than an expensive strap. They sound even worse when the strap is not available. Just for that, I'm never going to buy another Lava U.

I guess I’m confused by your comment, Ben. The Lava U is expensive from the start (for a plastic instrument) and the fact that the strap is over $50, and is the only strap that works with the instrument is a little crazy.

What a very odd take..

Didn't say that at all. In fact I quite like the instrument, the build and the sound. But... It IS expensive and charging that much more for the only strap that works with the instrument (when it should have been included in the deal from the start) is cynical at best.

Besides - for most people the price of things is a pretty important factor in their assessment of the value of an instrument

Last edited:
I like my Lava Y Tenor a lot: great neck, fantastic tuners, and I really like the acoustic sound. But the built-in effects...those are , in my personal opinion, useless. Very weak, almost negligible. Yes, they sound better with an amp, but then... if you have an amp, you can use its reverb and chorus and delays...

... so don't buy them.
My apologies for having an opinion about a brand that is clearly trying to rip people off. Quite right, I won't buy them, but I will also point out to people my view on how utterly appalling their tactic is. What people then ultimately do is between them and their wallets. It's clearly insane to spend $150 on a cable, a strap and picks, but... hey ho..

(blimey - post over a year old... )

My apologies for having an opinion about a brand that is clearly trying to rip people off. Quite right, I won't buy them, but I will also point out to people my view on how utterly appalling their tactic is. What people then ultimately do is between them and their wallets. It's clearly insane to spend $150 on a cable, a strap and picks, but... hey ho..

Some people love throwing their money away.

So don't buy it.

"What Is Dead May Never Die" (So say the faith of the Drowned God in the Iron Islands).

It might be a pricing mistake. These mistakes go both ways, but people tend not to complain when it is in their favor.

I respect you very much for actually playing the ukulele instead of spending 8+ minutes just talking about the ukulele and then doing a tiny demo, as people often do in reviews.

It might be a pricing mistake. These mistakes go both ways, but people tend not to complain when it is in their favor.
I don't believe it is - Lava sent me a uke to review and then asked me to amend the review because I dared to point out what I considered to be their crazy pricing after I published. I never change review because brands ask me to ,but that is besides two important points:

1. saying 'don't buy it then' mis understands how all my reviews work - I didn't buy this one, it was loaned. Though not sure why my gripe about their pricing becomes invalid because I am not a buyer- it's either an opinion on aggressive pricing or it isn't. Pricing is just part of my review scoring and it would be weird to exclude that metric.

2. The money they are charging for the only strap that works ALONE should be a red flag to anyone in my opinion. Of course, no, i don't need to buy the strap either, but my opinion on the pricing doesn't change for that reason either. It's a stupid price IMHO. If you don't think it is - then buy the strap - me saying the price is crazy shouldn't be your barrier.

To repeat: I liked the uke - it's a dream to play and it sounds great. But to suggest my opinions of it should stop there and comments on price are invalid.. are.. frankly... loopy. I think the price is badly wrong.

I respect you very much for actually playing the ukulele instead of spending 8+ minutes just talking about the ukulele and then doing a tiny demo, as people often do in reviews.
I loved the ukulele - it's great.

So I looked these prices up on Amazon. Tenor uke is $399. Strap, picks, and cable $159. Strap only $79.

Top Bottom