Sotu 433 "it's all relative!"

has anyone brought an einstein song yet?
this is a jimmy buffet song
had trouble reading the lyrics off the computer screen and I don't know the song so it's a rough cover

And Good Morning/Afternoon/Evening from a sunny (again!) France! Big thanks to Joo and Jon and Brian for their "overnight" contributions. Brian brought the FIRST Einstein song! Einstein might not have been a "Surfer" in the true, physical sense, but he did make it down to the beach, as witnessed by this famous photo; and he had the most AMAZING taste in footwear.

77466902e8dc2b75b931a3a3f0c47413.jpg

This man deserves MORE songs! And has anyone worked out the Theory of Relativity yet? And please bring me some more mothers, fathers, grandmas and grandads, aunties and uncles and brothers and sisters ... I need more relatives! Thanks to everyone.

My first contribution this week is about abuse in the family. In this song a girl from a small town recalls a horrendous incident in her past and longs to escape from the town so she can be herself. It is dedicated to The Vicky Bernadet Foundation, an organisation in Barcelona that aids victims of sexual abuse in the family.

BTW - the slogan on the button at the beginning says. "Break the Silence"

The backing on this track is by Band in a Box - an amazing tool for songwriters.

Forgot to add a photo

Here is my younger brother and I at Santa's Grotto. I think he got a plastic Ukulele and I got handcuffs and a police whistle.

scan0007.jpg

Hi, Val and Seasonistas! I’m late to the party, but want to thank Val for hosting this week! It’s a great theme! I’m going to assume that ‘family’ isn’t necessarily ‘blood-related’ family, and that we can take liberties with one’s interpretation of ‘family?’ As Richard Bach writes in ‘Illusions’ (I may not be quoting precisely, here) — ‘Some members of family aren’t necessarily blood-related.’ (Or, something in that capacity!)

Hi, Val and Seasonistas! I’m late to the party, but want to thank Val for hosting this week! It’s a great theme! I’m going to assume that ‘family’ isn’t necessarily ‘blood-related’ family, and that we can take liberties with one’s interpretation of ‘family?’ As Richard Bach writes in ‘Illusions’ (I may not be quoting precisely, here) — ‘Some members of family aren’t necessarily blood-related.’ (Or, something in that capacity!)

​Well, yes, Chelle ... why not? Assume away.

There are many songs called "Mother," but most aren't as grim and dark as this bit of Pink Floyd--just so we're clear, I love my mother very much and she's definitely NOT who I'm singing about here.

Ok, here's another quick one, but only because there's only one song I know that's pretty directly about relativity/time dilation, and weirdly enough it's an acoustic song by Queen!

Thanks for hosting, Val. Here's a sister themed tune from one of my favourite bands, The Handsome Family.
I've got four sisters myself (all younger than me) so I think I was always going to go the 'sister' route for this season.

The more eagle-eyed amongst you will notice that I'm wearing my emergency back up sunglasses this week and it's with a heavy heart that I have to tell you that my usual beloved, crappy plastic sunglasses, my constant companions on my ukulele journey, are no more. 😭😭😭
They tragically met with a nasty accident this morning that not even Gaffa tape can fix.
My heart is as broken as they are.

The Child ballads abound with tragic stories of dysfunctional families. Here we have a tragic tale of sibling jealousy taken to its ultimate conclusion but the ghost comes back to haunt the perpetrator. Several of the stories these ballads contain are very old and rooted in European Folklore though the earliest known version of the ballad is rarely earlier than the 17th century, a time when cheaply printed broadsheets really took off. According to Child the story in this case is found in several Northern European countries. I first heard it by Pentangle though this version is a mix of Pentangle's and a version in the Northumbrian Minstrelsy. The latter is also the source of the tune. The tune is modal and it's possible to sing the whole song over just an Am chord (or whatever minor chord best suits your voice) but I varied it with a G and a C.

And very many thanks to today's contributors ... Berni, Luis, Bob and Geoff! Things have been rather quiet today and I thought I would find an appropriate quote from the great man (Albert Einstein seems to have been the scientific equivalent of Oscar Wilde ... a "bon mot" about everything!)

download (1).jpeg

(This doesn't work for me!)

​Goodnight from deepest France!

Greetings,

Hoping to join, feeling a bit out of it with current events. Maybe later in the week.

:)

Here's another collab from Jon and I.
I made the art and video in 2013. Thought it fits the theme well. Sent to Jon yesterday for him to improvise some music over. Love what he came back with! Big time. Thank you Jon!

Greetings,

Hoping to join, feeling a bit out of it with current events. Maybe later in the week.

I understand, Gina. I feel the same.
But the music and art helps in a way.
Hope to see/hear you soon.

Here is my younger brother and I at Santa's Grotto. I think he got a plastic Ukulele and I got handcuffs and a police whistle.

View attachment 127508
oh the uke!!!!!!!! aw+++++++++++++++++!!!!

I'm wearing my emergency back up sunglasses this week and it's with a heavy heart that I have to tell you that my usual beloved, crappy plastic sunglasses, my constant companions on my ukulele journey, are no more. 😭😭😭
NOOOOOOOOOoooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!

ok here is a homemade-y, it mentions brothers and sisters, and is not autobiographical (i'm an only child!)

Greetings,

I absolutely understand, Gina, but hope that you might feel able to join in. I agree with both Joo and Brian ... what we have here is an "escape" from the awfulness that is reality at the moment, and, even if, as Brian says, we might be going down with a sinking ship, at least this place gives us a temporary refuge.

Top Bottom