Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Sotu 433 "it's all relative!"

Thanks for hosting, Val. Here's a sister themed tune from one of my favourite bands, The Handsome Family.
    I've got four sisters myself (all younger than me) so I think I was always going to go the 'sister' route for this season.

The more eagle-eyed amongst you will notice that I'm wearing my emergency back up sunglasses this week and it's with a heavy heart that I have to tell you that my usual beloved, crappy plastic sunglasses, my constant companions on my ukulele journey, are no more. 😭😭😭
    They tragically met with a nasty accident this morning that not even Gaffa tape can fix.
    My heart is as broken as they are.

The Child ballads abound with tragic stories of dysfunctional families. Here we have a tragic tale of sibling jealousy taken to its ultimate conclusion but the ghost comes back to haunt the perpetrator. Several of the stories these ballads contain are very old and rooted in European Folklore though the earliest known version of the ballad is rarely earlier than the 17th century, a time when cheaply printed broadsheets really took off. According to Child the story in this case is found in several Northern European countries. I first heard it by Pentangle though this version is a mix of Pentangle's and a version in the Northumbrian Minstrelsy. The latter is also the source of the tune. The tune is modal and it's possible to sing the whole song over just an Am chord (or whatever minor chord best suits your voice) but I varied it with a G and a C.
    Geoff Walker

I have several ukuleles in various sizes and am not planning on getting any more...

at least, not yet.

I also play some blowy things and a squeezy thing

Internet:
    You Tube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/TootlinGeoff
    Soundcloud: http://soundcloud.com/tootlingeoff

And very many thanks to today's contributors ... Berni, Luis, Bob and Geoff! Things have been rather quiet today and I thought I would find an appropriate quote from the great man (Albert Einstein seems to have been the scientific equivalent of Oscar Wilde ... a "bon mot" about everything!)

download (1).jpeg

(This doesn't work for me!)

​Goodnight from deepest France!
    "The single biggest problem with communication is the illusion that it has taken place" George Bernard Shaw

"Happiness is having a large, loving, caring, close-knit family in another city" George Burns

the term 'family' is a relative thing

Greetings,

Hoping to join, feeling a bit out of it with current events. Maybe later in the week.

" Why am I here why do I care, what do I hope to find? Nothing here can save me from the memories in my mind” GSC

Here's another collab from Jon and I.
    I made the art and video in 2013. Thought it fits the theme well. Sent to Jon yesterday for him to improvise some music over. Love what he came back with! Big time. Thank you Jon!

Quote Originally Posted by Ginas uke View Post
    Greetings,

Hoping to join, feeling a bit out of it with current events. Maybe later in the week.

I understand, Gina. I feel the same.
    But the music and art helps in a way.
    Hope to see/hear you soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Barbablanca View Post
    Here is my younger brother and I at Santa's Grotto. I think he got a plastic Ukulele and I got handcuffs and a police whistle.

Attachment 127508
    oh the uke!!!!!!!! aw+++++++++++++++++!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by bobjking View Post
    I'm wearing my emergency back up sunglasses this week and it's with a heavy heart that I have to tell you that my usual beloved, crappy plastic sunglasses, my constant companions on my ukulele journey, are no more. 😭😭😭
    NOOOOOOOOOoooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!

ok here is a homemade-y, it mentions brothers and sisters, and is not autobiographical (i'm an only child!)

lynda

acid skiffle

Greetings,

.......sometimes I feel like we are the band playing on the deck of the sinking titanic......only more happy and less aware.....

Greetings,

I absolutely understand, Gina, but hope that you might feel able to join in. I agree with both Joo and Brian ... what we have here is an "escape" from the awfulness that is reality at the moment, and, even if, as Brian says, we might be going down with a sinking ship, at least this place gives us a temporary refuge.
    "The single biggest problem with communication is the illusion that it has taken place" George Bernard Shaw

"Happiness is having a large, loving, caring, close-knit family in another city" George Burns

Thread Information