Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Sotu 433 "it's all relative!"

And, with that, Good Morning & etc. from deepest France! Big thanks to Brian, Joo and Jon and Lynda, who brought songs "overnight". I am just off to listen and update the Playlist. Please keep the songs coming today!
    "The single biggest problem with communication is the illusion that it has taken place" George Bernard Shaw

"Happiness is having a large, loving, caring, close-knit family in another city" George Burns

And, to inspire you, a "relativity" song. Tom Lehrer wrote one, but I can't find a vid of him performing it. This one is quite fun, though ...

"The single biggest problem with communication is the illusion that it has taken place" George Bernard Shaw

"Happiness is having a large, loving, caring, close-knit family in another city" George Burns

Hi Val, I hope all is well there! Thanks for hosting this week! Glad to see there is lot's of activity going on for your week. I hope I can get caught up on some listening over the next day or so here. This collaboration is another one w/ Jon and Willie. The three of us have found a bit of a grove where we can put these together pretty fast. This is one of my favorite Guy Clark songs; Magnolia Wind ~

Talk less, play more . . . .

thank you for this week Val
    on Christmas Day 2015 my mum was critically ill in hospital
    i wrote this during those days when i thought i was going to lose her
    recorded today w/ some music

WORDS LIKE BLOOD

Words, like blood,
    flow unsteadily as we age.
    Corridors that seemed
    wide as the horizon in childhood time
    darken, narrow, begin to fade
    in a womb-like, soupy sky.

We begin to remember
    the things we said
    those we didn't,
    what we left behind,
    and everything and nothing hold the same meaning.

Nights grow shorter.
    We wake sometime in the day
    next to a window
    in a room
    with lime green and biege walls

and a single, framed watercolour
    before us:
    you in your bed
    dressed in a white robe.
    Me in a chair by your side.

We gaze out from the shore
    to vanishing point
    of an altered horizon
    on some nameless day in forever.

A small island in the bay
    surrounded by a calm, iridescent, emerald sea
    tells the story we no longer can...

Water laps gently
    at its craggy outline;
    a reassuring, steady pulse,

reminding me where
    my boundaries lay,
    where the dangers are,

and one naked trunk protrudes
    from an escarpment. It is I,

leaning into you, longing to feel
    your warm, milk-sweet blood

envelop me again.

I was a bit surprised that this one by Madness hadn't appeared yet, and then I found out what a pig it is to play.

A couple more photos - me & my brother, in the garden behind my grandparents' sweet shop, and my mother & father in front of it, after they took it over.

94881350_1344623749079947_3008514828663783424_n.jpg

90714786_241146850264176_8226420869442830336_n.jpg
    www.365ukesongs.co.uk - 365 songs in 365 days, raising funds for SolarAid

Soprano - KoAloha KSM-00, Maccaferri Islander....Concert - Barron River Mahogany, Barron River Cypress, MyaMoe Koa, Johnny Marvin "Tenor" ....Sopranino - Rob Collins Cigar Box...all with Worth strings...and a few chords

A couple more photos - me & my brother, in the garden behind my grandparents' sweet shop, and my mother & father in front of it, after they took it over.

Thanks for the lovely photos, Steve! They don't make shops like that any more ... takes me back!

94881350_1344623749079947_3008514828663783424_n.jpg

90714786_241146850264176_8226420869442830336_n.jpg[/QUOTE]

And, as a matter of general interest, in that I am still facing a bit of a challenge with Internet availability in the house until Friday, when it renews for the coming month, this is where I have to go to get a signal on the smartphone; up to the top of the hill (5 minutes in the car and probably 15 minutes to walk - I've been using the car!)

20200603_131710 - Edited.jpg

one i wrote a few years ago - it mentions sibling but more a reference to the human family rather than the nuclear family

This is a bit of a long one now so my apologies in advance but as soon as the idea came into my head i had to give it a go. It's about a sister who's not a very naughty boy.

The guitar tab called for drop D tuning which isn't advisable on a tenor uke so I've gone for what I've dubbed 'Drop F'. FCFA#.

Had a lot on my plate this week as Nathan has gone back to school and work is starting to pick up but hopefully I'll have a couple more for you soon!
    "Even on a cloudy day, I'll keep my eyes fixed on the sun"

"But I heard voices, Not in the head, out in the air, they called to me. Through record speakers, through thick and thin, they found a shelter, beneath my skin"

Shouting Into a Tin Can EP on Soundcloud now!

Bedtime here in France. Thanks so much to Kev, Jon & Willie, Jon on his own, Steve, Brian and Ryan for today's great contributions. I will leave you with this thought on relativity from Albert himself ...

images (3).jpeg

Thread Information