Sotu 433 "it's all relative!"

My little darling girl

Sometimes you can't always be there for someone, no matter how you try.

Oh, Paul and Rob THANK YOU for those! Paul you are really lucky that you have film surviving from that period (no one we knew was the proud possessor of a movie camera!) What on earth was your father doing, bouncing a ball off your head REPEATEDLY ... fortunately, it obviously never affected your "little grey cells!"

And Rob ... I knew that you had a HUGE family, but WOW! (And I looked really carefully, but I couldn't see you in the photo ... do I need to look again?)
on Flickr there was an obsession with taking a photo of yourself every day for a year. I only did 52 weeks from my whole life span and as a protest I covered my face in all of the photos with a 365 stamp, trying to give the impression that the people around me and how they were was more important. Imagine if someone posted a group photo like that in these days of self isolation. We have lost a lot... I think Walt Whitman would have been horrified.

[I have perceiv’d that to be with those I like is enough,
To stop in company with the rest at evening is enough,
To be surrounded by beautiful, curious, breathing, laughing flesh is enough,
To pass among them or touch any one, or rest my arm ever so lightly round his or her neck for a moment, what is this then?
I do not ask any more delight, I swim in it as in a sea.]

Central European Time is 10.15 p.m., which means it is time for bed. Very many thanks to everybody who has brought a song today ... and thank you, also, for the photos! The Playlist is up-to-date, but I'm afraid that I haven't been able to listen to and comment on everybody's contributions, owing to lack of Internet capacity. I'll do that tomorrow morning as, apparently, there is a very reliable 4G signal at the top of the hill. (How can people LIVE like this in the 21st Century?) In the meantime, I leave you with this profound, Einstein-related thought ....

einstein-joke-desi-destiantari.jpg

Sonny Boy 1929 song recorded with my son who is almost as old as me

And Good Morning/Afternoon/Evening to everyone from deepest France, where the sun is shining! The Playlist and all comments are up-to-date (I woke up in the middle of the night) and we now have a total of 12 videos ... thank you, everyone! And please let me know if I inadvertently leave you off the Playlist.

Now for a moment of "Hostly" self-indulgence, which does, after a fashion, fit into this week's theme. Grandson No.3 - Oscar, aged 10 - has, like all children in the UK, been home-schooled for the last few weeks; and has been doing a project on Vikings (YES, MIKKEL ... this is for you!) His teacher asked him to write a song and I think it's brilliant ... but then, I am, of course, a biased and doting Grandma! Anyway, I really thought it was worth sharing. Firstly, a photo of the composer, doing a Freddie Mercury ...

IMG-1659 - Edited.jpg

​Please keep the songs coming today!

Last edited:
I'd love to join in with the happy childhood with fun family pics but my childhood wasn't a happy one so I keep no photographs to remind me of it !! You'll have to settle for some anger Instead ……..

Last edited:
I'd love to join in with the happy childhood with fun family pics but my childhood wasn't a happy one so I keep no photographs to remind me of it !! You'll have to settle for some anger Instead ……..

Oh, Mark ... I'm SO sorry! (But "happy" family pics aren't necessarily the order of the day ... so pleased you felt able to join in.)

Thank you for hosting, Val.
Here's a simple animation I made in 2014 using my students' drawings. They got into groups and each group had to create characters of a family. I borrowed my nephew's toy keyboard to make some beats. Today I added a little uke strumming over.

Last edited:
My childhood was fantastic - thanks in no small part to having 3 fantastic brothers who all loved playing football (that’s proper football - ie soccer! ;) ) as much as I did. We’d be in the local park kicking a ball around at every opportunity. I dedicate this to them. Thanks for hosting, Val - great theme! :)

STOP PRESS: We are about to have a storm - it has got VERY dark! There's a chance that we might have a power cut as a result, so I might disappear! If I do, then I'll be back a.s.a.p. In the meantime, please keep posting.

John Lennon went through Primal Scream therapy and this was the song that came out of it. The angst in his voice at the end of the song is and expression of pain that I hope I never have to suffer. My own mother died when I was 8... I often wonder what kind of man I might have been if she had lived longer. No screams from me on this one.

A little quiz:

Here’s me and 2 of my 3 brothers - circa 1970? But which one is me?

A73CF076-8F67-4510-A400-C20C7E81ED06.jpg

A little quiz:

Here’s me and 2 of my 3 brothers - circa 1970? But which one is me?

View attachment 127488

I was trying to remember when I was listening to your football song, where you came in the order ... I have a feeling you've mentioned it before. To me, you look most like the one on the left, but I think I've probably got it wrong!

And, thank you, Ryan ... all is well. The power DID go off, but only very temporarily. We are, apparently, expecting another storm on Wednesday ... we're very vulnerable here as we are surrounded by trees which have a tendency to fall on the power lines. So, should I inexplicably disappear later in the week, that will be the reason.

And it is now bedtime here in France. Thanks to everyone who contributed today. I leave you with this thought from Mr. Einstein, who seems to have had a lot of quite profound thoughts ......
aaee6e1fee454b012c8e94ef107df834.jpg

I made this video using drawings of my family members with my nephew Gylan when he was a baby.
Sent the video to Jon for him to come up with some music. He did it really quickly, and so beautifully.
( Thank you, Jon!)
Hope you all enjoy.
Jon played concert ukulele and acoustic guitar.
The drawings were made in ink.

Top Bottom