Sotu 433 "it's all relative!"

A traditional-sounding Estonian song about the sons: "My Sons Are Quite Plucky" (Pojad on mul õige naksid, 1977) by Hando Runnel and Kaarel Kilvet. I don't have sons, but 5 generations of my family, from my grandma to my cousin's grandson, have liked the band "Kukerpillid", who has performed this song.

And with many thanks to "today's" contributors, Ryan, John of the South, Rob and Ylle ... I shall sign off for the night; please keep the songs coming. I leave you with this thought from scientist extraordinaire and marriage guidance counsellor, Mr. Albert Einstein; it sort of fits this week's theme ...

images (9).jpeg​ And invariably, they are both disappointed!

Cousins are usually a lot of fun. Sometimes they are real creeps.

Yukio, left comments on YT re: the ‘creepy cousin’ Dupree, but...curious, did you create the artwork in the background of your vid?

Some of it. The red amaryllis is by Piet Mondrian and the woman looking out the window is by Dali. The samurai is an antique Japanese painting mounted on silk.

Hi again.
I am posting this video on behalf of Two Little Woodpeckers.
This is a traditional that both Jon and I like a lot.
I am currently still in Singapore and I have no microphone nor computer to record music or make videos.
So I have been using a couple apps ( can be a nightmare to use too) on my phone to make my videos.
It has not been easy, being in a flat with carers for my bed-ridden dad, the noise from the other people in the flat. And the surrounding, being near to a car park and the recycling quarters with workers dismantling discarded furniture all day long, and a plane flying past every 5 minutes.

But I wanted to be a part of a creative process, and also this music-loving community.

The video is made with simple paper puppets and an animation I made. Took me quite a long time doing them.
This might not be as polished as the videos and art that Jon has always found online and used for his videos, but it is something different I tried to do. Hope you all will enjoy it if you do watch it. Thanks.

And Good Morning & etc.! Many thanks to Christopher, who brought us a "cousin" song ... the first one! (And, perhaps, the only one ... how many cousin songs can there be?) Please keep the songs coming today ... more relatives, more Einstein and more "Relativity"! I shall go and update the Playlist.

And my apologies to Joo, who has turned up since I started writing this! I appreciate your efforts, Joo, against what sound like almost insurmountable odds!

Last edited:
Many thanks to Christopher, who brought us a "cousin" song ... the first one! (And, perhaps, the only one ...?)

Ooh I do like a challenge! :D

Here’s another cousin song for you Val:

I should add that any similarities between cousin Kevin and our own seasonista Kevin are purely coincidental! ;)

Last edited:
Time for some Einstein. I under stand these lyrics about as much as i understand the theory of relatively.

Season 433. Submission 1. "The Road Back Home" - a Turtledrum original. (Copyright Linda Opyr, 2020)

Images freely obtained via Pixabay.

Thank you for hosting, Val, and your great theme. This song is about brotherhood - the family of man. Knowing the times we've shared, I'm sure you remember the importance of that term. Current events have brought me here and I hope you'll find the link to the theme sufficient.

Baritone ukulele, vocal - turtledrum

I recorded my audio part so simply and easily (needed a break after that banjo piece) that I forgot to turn the camera on. So, instead II rolled dice to give me a random date over the last 12 years. Whatever recording was closest to that date. I threw it in the mix.. 4 times... Featuring Jon and Kevin and 4 July 2010, 11 Feb 2014, 15 January 2012 and then AGAIN 15 January.. 2019.

Mama you've been on my mind- POW's held by the Japanese, liberated from Santo Tomaso University in the Philippines.

Maybe it's the color of the sun cut flat
An' coverin' the crossroads I'm standing at
Or maybe it's the weather or something like that
But mama, you are just on my mind.
I don't mean trouble, please don't put me down or get upset
I am not pleadin' or sayin', I can't forget
I do not walk the floor bowed down an' bent, but yet
Mama, you are just on my mind.
Even though my mind is hazy an' my thoughts they might be narrow
Where you been don't bother me nor bring me down in sorrow
It don't even matter to me where you're wakin' up tomorrow
But mama, you're just on my mind

Last edited:
And "Goodnight" from deepest France ... I stayed up late: it's Friday! Many thanks to "today's" contributors, who cheered me up on a grey, wet day here ... Del, Jon, Ryan, Linda (lovely to see you here!), Joko (with lots of other people!) and Rob! We have now had our second song about cousins and Ryan and Isaac attempted to explain the Theory of Relativity (without success!)

I leave you with a lovely photo of the "Great Man" ... obviously working on his Theory!

786129a55177111471bd43fd4fdd7552.jpg

In the last Zoom session I was told that my voice had some resemblance to Elvis Presley.
Well, I was influenced by listening to quite a bit of Elvis as a kid, and here is an Elvis song for you.

Some of it. The red amaryllis is by Piet Mondrian and the woman looking out the window is by Dali. The samurai is an antique Japanese painting mounted on silk.

Thanks for letting me know, Christopher! Beautiful art, you have there — love it! :)

I had a huge crush on Stevie Nicks! This song kind of creeped me out when I was a kid.

"Good Morning/Afternoon & etc." from a grey and wet France and many thanks to Mikkel, Lynda and Eric, who have, respectively, brought us a "Mama", an "Einstein" and "Sisters" since I last logged on! The variety of music has been wonderful this week ... thank you all!

Einstein urged us to "Rejoice with your family in the beautiful land of life". Here is a sweet photo of a young Albert and his sister Maja from about 1886 ...

Maja_and_Albert_Einstein_c1886 - Edited.jpg

​Hoping that the weekend will give you all time to rummage through your relatives and inspire you to bring lots more songs!

Top Bottom