Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Bonanza Ukuleles 5 String Tenor - REVIEW

Default Bonanza Ukuleles 5 String Tenor - REVIEW

First 5 string from Bonanza I have looked at

https://www.gotaukulele.com/2020/05/...le-review.html
    The GOT A UKULELE REVIEWS DATABASE!

Help Support Got A Ukulele!

Ukes include (!) Kanile'a K1 Tenor, Tinguitar custom solid tenor, Fluke, Flea, Tinguitar Reclaimed Mahogany soprano, KM Ukuleles Dreadnought Concert, Brüko walnut soprano

Very nice. I had no doubt this one would get a positive review as well. Bonanza seem to hit it out of the park every time. Of all the American uke builders, I would actually really like to get a Bonanza. Something about them just really calls for me. The issue there is that shipping to Europe seems to be quite a pain. Maybe I'll order one the next time I'm visiting the states again.

Quote Originally Posted by Dohle View Post
    Very nice. I had no doubt this one would get a positive review as well. Bonanza seem to hit it out of the park every time. Of all the American uke builders, I would actually really like to get a Bonanza. Something about them just really calls for me. The issue there is that shipping to Europe seems to be quite a pain. Maybe I'll order one the next time I'm visiting the states again.
    I've bought things from overseas, including England, Australia, and New Zealand. Shipping costs are higher, but you get what you want. I wonder if having someone in the USA buy it and ship it to you would be better.

Guessing at a 6 lb package measuring 26 X 11 X 6", it would cost $80, without insurance. just to give you an idea. That's for Priority Mail, 6 - 10 day delivery. I think the uke would be smaller and lighter than I estimated.
    Too many ukes, but I can't stop buying!
    https://www.catskillukulelegroup.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Jerryc41 View Post
    I wonder if having someone in the USA buy it and ship it to you would be better.
    I don't see how that would be easier than dealing with Pete and Shelly directly. Just send them an email:
    https://www.bonanzaukuleles.com/category-s/144.htm
    Ukulele:
    Iriguchi Tenor "Weeble" - A, WoU Clarity
    Blue Star 19" baritone Konablaster - DGBE
    Cocobolo 16" SC#1-gCEA, SC SLMU
    Ono #42 19" baritone, Ab, LW
    Imua iET-Bb, M600
    Covered Bridge CLN pineapple - Eb cuatro, SC XLL
    Rogue bari
    Bonanza super tenor, cFAD SC LHU
    Kala KSLNG, Eb SC XLU
    Hanson 5-string tenor, dGCEA
    Bonanza SLN GCEA
    Bonanzalele concert
    Guitars:
    Jupiter #47, G, TI CF127
    Pelem, B reentrant
    Jupiter #71, A, UG1

!Flukutronic!

Shipping costs themselves wouldn't be an problem but having to pay an extra 20% or so for import is the real issue for me. Plus dealing with customs of course. Receiving a package from someone as a "gift" incurs no costs but I don't know anyone who's in the US at the moment. And it would be a bit of a hassle anyway.

To be fair, Bonanza ukes aren't crazy expensive so importing wouldn't really cost that much extra. But I'm sure I'll visit the states at some point during the next few years so I'll probably try to bring a Bonanza uke as a souvenir. Last time I went I brought with me a vintage Martin, so I'll have to keep the tradition going next time I'm there.

At first glance, a Corian bridge and nut is offputting compared to bone. But then, is Corian any different than NuBone or any of the other synthetics?

Baz, you probably see more of these things than the rest of us.

Quote Originally Posted by scarver View Post
    At first glance, a Corian bridge and nut is offputting compared to bone. But then, is Corian any different than NuBone or any of the other synthetics?

Baz, you probably see more of these things than the rest of us.
    Doesn't bother me - huge numbers of very high end luthiers I know over here use Corian. It's a great material, and increasing numbers don't want animal bone. I don't notice the difference with actual bone, and corian is much nicer than plastic.
    The GOT A UKULELE REVIEWS DATABASE!

Help Support Got A Ukulele!

Ukes include (!) Kanile'a K1 Tenor, Tinguitar custom solid tenor, Fluke, Flea, Tinguitar Reclaimed Mahogany soprano, KM Ukuleles Dreadnought Concert, Brüko walnut soprano

Thanks for the review. I have never heard of Bonanza and I usually don't pay attention to reviews but this one got my attention. What a neat brand, I sure like their choices of continental woods and quirky options. And with prices like this they are indeed UAS inducing.

Thanks for review Baz. This may finally be the Bonanza for me. I’ve been wanting to try a five string. I liked the Oreo but too quiet to justify getting it. I liked the price of the plainer Homestead ukes. With slightly different body shape, deeper and more sustain, this may be perfect.

I like the fretboard markers for sure I like string thru bridges. I can live with the Graphtech planetary tuners. I’d prefer Gotoh if option is not too steep. What is your feeling on the tuners. Do they work good. Looks I don’t care as they are on back of head stock!

I can’t find this model on their site so have reached out to Shelly.

Another great review. Thanks for bringing this to my attention.

Cheers

Although I have no desire to ever try playing a 'fiver' again, the Bonanza ukes fascinate me. I can't believe the top, sides, and back are hewn out of blocks of wood like a primitive boat.
    I think if I ever buy another uke, I will definitely consider a Bonanza.
    "Those who bring sunshine and laughter to the lives of others cannot keep it from themselves".

Music washes from the soul, the dust of everyday living.

Thread Information