Bonanza Ukuleles 5 String Tenor - REVIEW

bazmaz

Reaction score
Very nice. I had no doubt this one would get a positive review as well. Bonanza seem to hit it out of the park every time. Of all the American uke builders, I would actually really like to get a Bonanza. Something about them just really calls for me. The issue there is that shipping to Europe seems to be quite a pain. Maybe I'll order one the next time I'm visiting the states again.

Very nice. I had no doubt this one would get a positive review as well. Bonanza seem to hit it out of the park every time. Of all the American uke builders, I would actually really like to get a Bonanza. Something about them just really calls for me. The issue there is that shipping to Europe seems to be quite a pain. Maybe I'll order one the next time I'm visiting the states again.

I've bought things from overseas, including England, Australia, and New Zealand. Shipping costs are higher, but you get what you want. I wonder if having someone in the USA buy it and ship it to you would be better.

Guessing at a 6 lb package measuring 26 X 11 X 6", it would cost $80, without insurance. just to give you an idea. That's for Priority Mail, 6 - 10 day delivery. I think the uke would be smaller and lighter than I estimated.

Shipping costs themselves wouldn't be an problem but having to pay an extra 20% or so for import is the real issue for me. Plus dealing with customs of course. Receiving a package from someone as a "gift" incurs no costs but I don't know anyone who's in the US at the moment. And it would be a bit of a hassle anyway.

To be fair, Bonanza ukes aren't crazy expensive so importing wouldn't really cost that much extra. But I'm sure I'll visit the states at some point during the next few years so I'll probably try to bring a Bonanza uke as a souvenir. Last time I went I brought with me a vintage Martin, so I'll have to keep the tradition going next time I'm there. :D

At first glance, a Corian bridge and nut is offputting compared to bone. But then, is Corian any different than NuBone or any of the other synthetics?

Baz, you probably see more of these things than the rest of us.

At first glance, a Corian bridge and nut is offputting compared to bone. But then, is Corian any different than NuBone or any of the other synthetics?

Baz, you probably see more of these things than the rest of us.

Doesn't bother me - huge numbers of very high end luthiers I know over here use Corian. It's a great material, and increasing numbers don't want animal bone. I don't notice the difference with actual bone, and corian is much nicer than plastic.

Thanks for the review. I have never heard of Bonanza and I usually don't pay attention to reviews but this one got my attention. What a neat brand, I sure like their choices of continental woods and quirky options. And with prices like this they are indeed UAS inducing.

Thanks for review Baz. This may finally be the Bonanza for me. I’ve been wanting to try a five string. I liked the Oreo but too quiet to justify getting it. I liked the price of the plainer Homestead ukes. With slightly different body shape, deeper and more sustain, this may be perfect.

I like the fretboard markers for sure I like string thru bridges. I can live with the Graphtech planetary tuners. I’d prefer Gotoh if option is not too steep. What is your feeling on the tuners. Do they work good. Looks I don’t care as they are on back of head stock!

I can’t find this model on their site so have reached out to Shelly.

Another great review. Thanks for bringing this to my attention.

Cheers

Although I have no desire to ever try playing a 'fiver' again, the Bonanza ukes fascinate me. I can't believe the top, sides, and back are hewn out of blocks of wood like a primitive boat.
I think if I ever buy another uke, I will definitely consider a Bonanza.

thanks for the review.less than $300 for a handmade uke I'm tempted by a homestead cherry. pretty reasonable for a solid uke I didn;t see any of the upgrades, like a thicker body, or decoration.
thanks for fueling my UAS

What is your feeling on the tuners. Do they work good. Looks I don’t care as they are on back of head stock!

THey work brilliantly - my issue with them is purely about looks!!

thanks for the review.less than $300 for a handmade uke I'm tempted by a homestead cherry. pretty reasonable for a solid uke I didn;t see any of the upgrades, like a thicker body, or decoration.

Without the thicker body or 5th string this would be $389...

THey work brilliantly - my issue with them is purely about looks!!

A few months ago, I commissioned a custom uke and specifically wanted these tuners on it. I do get why some people don't like the way they look but personally I really like them. To me they have a sort of vintage vibe to them, both because of the bulky look and because of the fact that there are no metal parts. Glad to hear they work well. I've heard that they can break but they're not too expensive and should be easily replaceable.

I believe you don't get customization options for the Homestead line because it's supposed to be the bare-bones model. Same build quality without any of the fancy looks. You should check the normal ukulele models.

Is it me, or does this seem a very reasonable price for such a quirky, luthier-built ukulele?

Last edited:
For a US made luthier built instrument, yes, I'd say Bonanza are fairly inexpensive. Then again, certain US and UK based luthiers do charge a surprisingly small amount for very nice instruments, especially compared to some more high-end factory-made instruments. Some luthiers with more name recognition tend to charge significantly more.

A few months ago, I commissioned a custom uke and specifically wanted these tuners on it.

I liked the idea of the Ratio tuners in the beginning because of the price - and I like to change tuners. After hearing about some posts snapping, and seeing that one of mine is lose and doesn't hold tune, I'm going to avoid them.

Is it me, or does this seem cheap for such a quirky, luthier-built ukulele?

I think "reasonably priced" is a better term. When most people think of ukuleles, they think $25. Years ago, I heard that a friend had a $500 uke, and I was shocked. I think Bonanza is charging a fair price for what they are offering. I love my Oreo.

I think 'fairly' priced is more accurate. Pete does not over charge and is not making them in order to try to get rich. He seems to be a fair guy.

Top Bottom