Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: FS: Laughlin 5K Soprano, Highly figured one piece koa top and back

Default SOLD: Laughlin 5K Soprano, Highly figured one piece koa top and back

SOLD is a rare and incredible reproduction of a 1920's Martin 5K soprano built by Tim Laughlin. For anyone familiar with Laughlin ukuleles, you know the meticulous care with which these instruments are crafted, and the unsurpassed attention to detail. Nice low action and super easy to play. It's clear and loud, and truly invokes that vintage Martin tone. This particular instrument was purchased from Elderly Instruments new by me in April 2019 and remains in near-new condition. There is no damage whatsoever and only minimal signs of playing. Features include:

• One-piece top and back with highly figured koa.
    • Fully bound with ivoroid and abalone purfling on both the top and back
    • Multi-ring ivoroid and abalone rosette.
    • 5K style "snowflake" fretboard inlay and flower pot headstock inlay.
    • Waverly vintage-style friction pegs.
    • Guardian Vintage Case with green interior and an Oasis uke humidifier.

I've loved having this little gem, but I'm selling to help fund a guitar purchase. I primarily play my tenor when I play ukulele, and while I really enjoy this Laughlin, I would love to see this in the hands of someone who prefers sopranos and will play it as it deserves. The link to the original Elderly listing is here below, and the photos there are of this actual instrument. They're taken in very different lighting than mine, so I wanted to provide both for comparison. I'm asking SOLD total, which is inclusive of CONUS shipping and PayPal fees. I've bought and sold many instruments on UU over the years, and you can be assured that this will be packaged with utmost care. Don't miss this opportunity to grab a Laughlin 5K with one-piece top and back.

https://www.elderly.com/products/lau...lele-with-case

thumbnail_IMG_7168 - Copy.jpgthumbnail_IMG_7170.jpgthumbnail_IMG_7171.jpgthumbnail_IMG_7190.jpgthumbnail_IMG_7192.jpg
    Last edited by Telperion; 06-20-2020 at 02:17 PM. Reason: Price drop

Wow, what a beauty! The blingiest of bling! The Martin-like stamp on the back of the headstock is very cool.
    John

Right down to the slot headed screws on the tuner knobs... that’s friggin’ gorgeous!
    Sopranos: aNueNue Khaya Mahogany 1, Bruko No. 6; Kiwaya KS-1; Kiwaya KTS-4; Kiwaya KTS-4K; Martin S-O
    Concerts:Cahaya CY-0112; Kiwaya KTC-1; Kiwaya KPC-1M; Kiwaya KCU-1, Takumi TC-1M, Takumi TC-3K, Musicguymic’s Kolohe
    Tenors: Cordoba 24T; Kiwaya KTT-2K
    Baritones: Cordoba 24B

How bad is your UAS?

Wow! That is a grand looking reproduction of the Martin 5K.

I wonder how true to the bracing and other construction it is? Fabulous workmanship.

Somebody will have a wonderful soprano when they buy this beauty.
    There is a subtle yet profound difference between the learning of something and the knowing of that thing.
    You can learn by reading, but you don’t begin to know until you begin to try to do.

—Lou Churchill, Plane & Pilot Magazine

Quote Originally Posted by Kenn2018 View Post
    I wonder how true to the bracing and other construction it is? Fabulous workmanship.
    I think Tim took great pains to reproduce every detail. If I remember correctly, he actually has/had an impressive collection of vintage Martins, including 5-K's, several variants of the style 3's, among others. He meticulously studied these and reproduced the smallest details. Before Waverly began producing their vintage style friction tuners, he was even machining his own tuners to replicate the originals. There are several old threads over on the "Unofficial Martin Guitar Forum," that discuss Laughlin ukes, comparing to originals and discussing some of these details. Here's a quote (from Tim Laughlin) from one of these threads.

"The 5k has very beautiful flame koa. I grade the koa for my ukuleles the same way that Martin did before the war. The best is saved for the 5 style ukuleles.The 5k "standard" that I make is my version of the classic 1920's Martin 5k. I try to be as faithful to every detail of the original with my standard version. This requires a considerable amount of extra labor during construction because all the purfling, abalone trim, and inlay has to be custom made to the original dimensions."

Here are few links:

https://umgf.com/laughlin-2k-clone-o...99-t64108.html
    https://umgf.com/style-3-martin-or-l...n-t159745.html
    https://umgf.com/nud-delivery-tba-la...a-t161261.html

Thanks for the comments from everyone.

-Steve

Truly a labor of love there.
    John

I agonized over this when it was for sale at Elderly. It is simply fantastic looking and having owned two Laughlins I KNOW it sounds every bit as good as it looks. I've transacted with Steve and highly recommend him.

Puh-lease, somebody, buy this. Were I not so focused on guitar, I would have snatched it already!
    More an appreciator of the ukulele than a true player. My motto is: "Don't matter how good it ring if it ain't got some bling."

Doubt is not a pleasant condition, but certainty is absurd.—Voltaire

Curious about the relative importance of tonewood vs. the luthier? See Luthiers for a Cause to learn more!

Thanks for the bump, Eddie! Had I not decided to buy a new guitar, I would be keeping this!
    Collings UT41-K Sunburst
    Pono MTSH(S)PC
    1950 Martin Style 1 soprano
    Martin OXK soprano

Thread Information