Gotoh UPT tuners Vs Peghed tuners

Which one? Peghed or Gotoh UPT

• Total voters
The Gotoh UPT has a simple design and good looking! In my opinion, both are good. But I like PegHed more because the PegHed is better looking and you could adjust the tension of the tuners by pushing the knob in or pulling it out. Thanks for posting your opinion!

By the way, I really don't know about adjusting the tension on the Gotoh UPT tuners. Can you change the tension on Gotoh UPT tuners?

Gotoh every time, aesthetically and practically.

Either one if they are already installed by the luthier/manufacturer. UPTs if I have to install the tuners. Pegheads are harder to install correctly.

Pegheads have that old school look. I find the Gotohs make a quicker adjustment. I'm ok with either stylistically depending on the uke.

I voted Gotoh and I don’t have a set yet......let me explain..... Soon after getting my Fluke Tenor, I order a set of pegheds from MFC. They installed very easy. I did have to taper the holes. slightly. They work like a champ. I find the push in to tighten and pull out to loosen works fine but always seems to have them push in super tight to hold tune. They do hold tune great. Old school look. Great look for my Fluke. Best option that fits for this Uke.

I voted Gotoh without trying cause I like the under stated look. I’ve read they are Smooth and now after reading this thread, find you can adjust the tension by the screw on end of tuner. I will buy Gotoh on next Uke or upgrade what I have at some point.

My .02 cents worth.....

Pegheads offer the following
1. Vintage look
2. lighter weight.
They work fine but as tuners I prefer Gotoh.

PegHed tuners seemed to do the job. In my opinion, they are suitable for high end ukuleles. They are price higher than Gotoh UPT but they seemed to work fine.

Ben

I have both kinds. I don't like PegHeds very much. I find them difficult to make fine adjustments accurately. I bought a tenor used, and the C-string PegHed just doesn't want to hold tightly no matter how much I wiggle and push or pull out and push back in. But that is the only one out of 5 sets I have used that is iffy. I do think they are too long but have never had a chance to use the shorter version. I grudgingly use them.

I had Gotoh UPT-L tuners installed to replace the PegHeds on my Martin 1T IZ. Way smoother and less fiddly than the original PegHeds. I have used 4 sets of the Gotoh tuners and all of them work perfectly. Only had to adjust two of the tuners. I definitely prefer them.

However, I have to say that I don't have a problem with geared tuners. The aesthetics of having the knobs out to the sides of the head just don't bother me at all. I do prefer open gears to sealed ones.

I love the Pegheds. I have had them on a couple of instruments over the years. They are elegant- both in looks and design, super light and work well.

I'd be leery of ordering from a site like this. The company is located in Turkey, and the price is ridiculously low. I've been burned twice in the past few months with items that were low-priced from an unknown company. My CC company gave me $24.98 credit for one, and the other ($51 Florida and China) is being investigated. I'll try to stick to Amazon whenever possible.

https://salamuzik.com/products/11-p..._term=pla-350036060766&utm_campaign=storeya51

I missed the vote, but I might have chosen PegHeds—they are quite amazing lightweight and look very elegant. UPLs are great as well—they function more efficiently—but they do have a bit more weight and bulk to them. Both are excellent depending on the instrument. But the UPLs would be too big for a soprano. I would really choose depending on what suits the instrument best.

Top Bottom