Gotoh UPT tuners Vs Peghed tuners

Which one? Peghed or Gotoh UPT

• Total voters
Looks like a lot more threads on the newer white button version.

Those threads don't have to be tapped in the wood, do they? From what I recall, you drill a hole of the proper size and then the tuner does the tapping as you screw it into the wood.

Noticed that the nickel PegHed tuners have screws to adjust the tension unlike the traditional one. I like both but still, the traditional one look better.

Last edited:
I’ve never actually used the Gotohs before, but I have PegHeds on my Fluke, my Firefly and my Konter Ukes and absolutely love them. I do like the look of the new style of PegHeds. I just might have to get a set of those...

Scooter

nickel look much better than black imo (unless on a violin). wonder what the actual weight is (other than 1.5oz heavier than the black) and how it compares to gotohs. the statement "These pegs are ideally suited for Tenor and Baritone Ukuleles and for Banjos." makes me think they are on the heavy side

Noticed that the nickel PegHed tuners have screws to adjust the tension unlike the traditional one. I like both but still, the traditional one look better.

Another thing I don't like about the PH is pulling and pushing to adjust the turning tension. I'm always afraid I'll pull or push too hard. I have a set I haven't installed, yet, and I'm not sure I want to. I also have Gotoh and Ratio available.

Another thing I don't like about the PH is pulling and pushing to adjust the turning tension. I'm always afraid I'll pull or push too hard. I have a set I haven't installed, yet, and I'm not sure I want to. I also have Gotoh and Ratio available.

I think if you try them you may like them. I never had an issue with the Pegheds

It is a gentle pull. Just gently pull the knob to get it looser or gently push in if it's too loose. I recommend having the PegHed tuners stay firm. Just enough so the tuners could hold the strings without backlash.

I like tuning better with Gotohs. But I have Pegheads, so I selected them. I Have the black ones, but those with a white buttons are even classier looking, to me.

I have some ukuleles with UPTs. To me, they're a little bulky looking, but even on sopranos, they work great. I would pick them over pretty much any of my other geared tuners, except the ones on the Larrivée--those have a unique and beautiful design and are very smooth.

I haven't had the chance to use Pegheds, so I can't speak to function, but I think the newer nickel/ivoroid version are the best looking of all the planetary tuners.

nickel look much better than black imo (unless on a violin). wonder what the actual weight is (other than 1.5oz heavier than the black) and how it compares to gotohs. the statement "These pegs are ideally suited for Tenor and Baritone Ukuleles and for Banjos." makes me think they are on the heavy side

I agree, the nickel/ivoroid ones look great. Looking at the description on Pohaku's site, I think 1.5oz is the total weight, bringing it well under UPTs which are over 2oz. The black Pegheds are under an ounce for the set. So if you're okay with UPTs on a soprano (which I've had no problems with), then these should be fine on a smaller instrument.

Of course, as I think about this thread, I like regular friction tuners just fine. LOL

I use both. If all things are the same between the two of them, and I’m not saying they are, I haven’t read any mention about the weight difference between them, which is considerable. The difference in weight may or may not be desirable, or even important, depending upon the uke. As with all things when building an uke, I look at the individual ukulele itself and decide what’s best for it. They are both quality tuners.

EDIT: My bad, I just saw badhabit’s post above where weight was mentioned. I just weighed up a set of each. The Gotoh UPTs are 61 grams as set whereas the Pegheds weigh up at 25 grams. (1oz = 28.3 gr.) But this doesn’t mean that one is better than the other but it should be a consideration when deciding.

Last edited:

I just ordered two sets for a taropatch build and went for the nickel ones. This is what Peter Hurney told me: About 14 gr for eight black tuners compared to about 24 gr ounces for eight nickel ivoroid tuners.

I'm pretty much locked into Sopranos and when possible use Pegheads, they just look right and tune right. I have a set of the nickel ones that require a thicker headstock as there a more threads to set. I don't really have a use for them. PM me with an offer.

C'mon Jerry, don't do a Mongo on it! :D

I probably inherited that from my father. If he wanted to open or remove something, he did. Locks and switches meant nothing to him. He chose brute force over patience and reading the directions. We wound up replacing lots of broken things. :D

Top Bottom