Circle of 5ths

Um, there should be twelve bottles; that's problem number one.

Yes, more bottles would be fine, but these bottles are all fifths - 1/5 of a gallon. So, we have a circle of 5ths.

Thanks for the offer, becoming a guinea pig doesn't appeal to me. :D

A video instruction about the Circle would be nice.

I've heard of the Circle of 5ths, and I get the general idea, but I don't really understand it. Fortunately, there is more than one kind of Circle of 5ths. :D

View attachment 127528

Take me to your liter.

(Where's the Bushmill 1608????)

I really tried to make the circle of fifth be the key that unlocked the mysteries of music. But so far it has only worked with the most rudimentary tunes. I do think it is a good starting point and a good foundation, but it doesn't take long to outgrow it.

Um, there should be twelve bottles; that's problem number one.
It's only part of the circle - no minors. And it'll give you a major headache. Those fifths may lay you out flat, but you'll think you're sharp!

Oh please! I've offered to help you learn the circle and apply it pragmatically, but you've declined. You can't "outgrow" what you've so far only comprehended in a limited (and inefficient) way.

Nor does the circle have to explain all of music in order to be powerfully useful.

I play a lot of songs with complex harmonies and rich jazz chords, and still find the circle to be one of my most frequently used tools. I apply it not only for finding chords and for quickly following progressions in every key, but for dealing with key signatures, understanding harmonic structures, memorizing songs, modulating, transposing, adapting to other fleas tunings, and navigating fretboards. You've outgrown it? I hardly think so.

No, you have not offered to help me, you have offered to bestow your infinite knowledge of music upon me should I give you the deference that you think that you deserve. An infinite knowledge that you have have yet to convince me that you actually possess. So I respectfully declined to place myself under you tutelage. When I think that you actually have something of value I will be sure to let you know.. Just to set the record straight.

Last edited:
Below you will find a link to a very clear explanation about the circle of fifths, which can also be looked at and used as the circle of fourths in the reverse direction.

Please don’t be put off by his somewhat rough looks. He is remarkably clear and organized.

https://youtu.be/50CpDZvTWks

This thread definitely needs more guinea pigs. My neighbors have a heavily defended yard:
NqdEjyCl.jpg

Jim D'Ville teaches the Circle of Fifths better than anyone I have seen. Check out his 'Easy Music Theory' videos on FB & YT.

And one really cool fact about the C of F

Years of music in school and memorizing
The key of G has one sharp - C
The key of D has two sharps - C, G
The key of A has three sharps - C, G, D

And I realized, it is right there in the Circle of Fifths

I always knew and still know, music is math - and there it is.
And so much more.

Puka Beads, or Beadz,
B resolves to E to A to D to (soft) G to C

I confess that I do not use my circle of fifths as much as I should.
But for one of its many uses, transposing, I use my own invention, the Tune Tin, all the time. It allows me to quickly transpose keys. I adjust the top circle for the chord ( or key) I know, then swivel the bottom till it lines up with the chord (or key) I want. Then, leaving both top and bottom in the same place, I follow around each chord to find the corresponding chord in the new key.
As a nod back to the OP, this invention also serves as an excellent container to hold my intoxicant of choice.
iasoLxe.jpg

Last edited:
Clever. And better than a tuna tin.

Do they make any of them out of tin?

Top Bottom