Looking at a Kamaka 1972 Soprano

mech3d

Reaction score
I am looking at buying a Kamaka Soprano but it needs a little work (one of the tuning pegs is broken) and I was wondering what a fair price would be for this Uke.

Here are some pictures. Any advise would be appreciated. Thank you all.

pic1.JPGpic3.JPGpic4.JPGpic2.JPGpic5.JPG

Looks very nice maybe couple 100 to 300 might be reasonable. Kamaka is now selling UPT replacement tuners for these ukes so that would also be a worthwhile investment.

Really depends on the condition. The instrument is almost 50 years old. The wood is very thin and many instruments that old suffer from cracks or warps, in addition to the scratches shown in the photo. As merlin says, replacing all 4 tuners with UPTs is probably a good idea and a good luthier won't charge much for the installation. I've seen 1972 Kamakas in better condition than this sell for $600 on EBay. The value of this one depends on how much work it needs to bring it up to a condition that is acceptable to you.

thank you for you replies, much appreciated.

Tuners are VERY easy to replace. That is a nice vintage ukulele, not rare but is likely a good player. In general, vintage ukuleles are worth what someone is willing to pay but these go in the $500+ range usually. You don't have to replace those tuners with UPTs but they are nice. I like to keep all my vintage ukuleles as original as possible. These tuners they work great and very similar tuners are still made.

Top Bottom