Hello I'm a beginner at Ukulele, looking forward to learn many techniques here :)

clara.renata

Reaction score
Hello I just got Ukulele from my sisters. I have some experience with Guitar hope that will help me learn :)

Welcome to the UU Forum, Clara, and congratulations on your first ukulele. I think you’ll find that your guitar experience will be tremendously helpful. Enjoy the journey!

Jan

Welcome aboard! As a former guitarist myself, I know your guitar experience will assist you on your ukulele journey! Enjoy.

I came to ukulele from guitar and it made for an easy transition, particularly with learning chords since I was already used to putting fingers into weird shapes on a fretboard. ;-)

Welcome aboard! As a former guitarist myself, I know your guitar experience will assist you on your ukulele journey! Enjoy.

Not to hijack the thread here, (and welcome to clara!), but I'm curious about the whole "former guitarist" thing. I am also a new member here and have been playing guitar for more than 25 years - should I be worried that the uke is going to pull me away from my love of guitar!?!? I have too much money and time invested in guitar to pursue the ukulele if it will lead to me being a former guitarist. Lol!

In all honesty, I completely agree - playing the guitar definitely makes picking up the uke quite a bit easier. I just imagine I'm playing a four string guitar (minus the low E and A strings) with a capo on the fifth fret... which is probably what makes me sound like a guitar player playing the ukulele instead of a ukulele player - but that's why I'm here! :cheers:

Playing guitar just feels more like work now is all (for me). Playing the ukulele is more fun and I can still do everything I want to do.

Welcome! As a former guitar player, I'd say it'll definitely help you playing uke. What so many beginners have difficulty with is learning to form chord shapes and make chord changes. You won't have that learning curve to climb. One of the trickiest things, for me, was to remember what the uke chord (D, or G, or A, etc) was, and not automatically go to the guitar chord - which I had known for so many years that it was automatic and ingrained. I find the uke more fun, and even though uke fretboards are narrower, the string spacing is wider, so actually easier to fret. And who needs to worry about 2 more strings anyway? :biglaugh:

Top Bottom