Myrtle pineapple cutaway

mvinsel

Reaction score
Myrtle uke back.jpg Myrtle uke for dianne.jpgIn January I drove the Oregon Coast and picked up a few pieces of myrtle. My wife has taken up the uke and loves myrtle so I made her this one. This is my fifth acoustic build and first with hardwood two piece top. She loves it.
-Vinnie

Looks nice! Beautiful wood. Is that a pheasant inlay on the headstock?

Coincidentally, I just finished up one with myrtle back and sides. (I'll post it later in a new thread.) Such a nice wood to work with, bends easily and finishes nicely. Sounds good too.

Wow, very nice. Not at all what I expected.

From the title I was expecting not to like it. I imagined a pineapple with a bite taken out of it.

I love myrtle wood. John, in Oregon you must have your pick of the cream.

We have the same wood here in Northern California but we call it California Bay Laurel because we are jealous of the Oregonians. I also love the stuff. Makes great sound boards as well as backs and sides. Some ukes I've done with local California Bay Laurel:

DSCN5882.jpg DSCN8033.jpg DSCN8026.jpg

Looks nice! Beautiful wood. Is that a pheasant inlay on the headstock?

Coincidentally, I just finished up one with myrtle back and sides. (I'll post it later in a new thread.) Such a nice wood to work with, bends easily and finishes nicely. Sounds good too.

It's a robin, for my wife's maiden name Robinson and her calling our place Robinsong ranch. I really liked the Myrtle too and it sounds great.

Top Bottom