I'm Hopeless! (Maybe I should give up)

deadpool

Reaction score
Monitors-Please delete this thread

Last edited:
I think you should first get to know yourself. Why do you want to play the ukulele?

It is understandable to buy it in maui whne you don't really want to play it. Like many other purchases while on vacation. Heck, I almost bought an ukulele when I was in HI.

My choice to play the ukulele was very deliberate. I could have pretty much chosen any instrument that is commonly played and moved forward with it. There are people in my house who are better musicians, but for now, I'm the ukulele person. There are some very talented people who play these "toys" pretty well and make a pretty good living from it as far as I can tell.

My choice to play the ukulele was very deliberate. I could have pretty much chosen any instrument that is commonly played and moved forward with it. There are people in my house who are better musicians, but for now, I'm the ukulele person. There are some very talented people who play these "toys" pretty well and make a pretty good living from it as far as I can tell.

Making a living playing (and/or singing) any instrument is difficult at best. Ukulele is probably one of the toughest. Because many people think of ukuleles as you do. That it's just a toy. I know I did before I was enlightened.

It's a great instrument. You can play most genres of music on them—and sound very, very good. It's a simpler instrument than the guitar. But not simple nor easy to become proficient and develop a personal style that people want to listen to.

Like any instrument, it takes time and effort to learn. With much practice and work to gain the skills needed to be considered a good player. Even more to be considered excellent or accomplished.

But if you are just dabbling and aren't feeling that it's fun and the sound speaks to you, maybe it's the instrument. Maybe it's the size. Maybe it's the sound. But if it doesn't hold your interest, perhaps something else will. Bagpipes? The triangle? Or something in between?

Best of luck with your search.

Most important, make sure you have an instrument that you LOVE - the feel of playing it, the sound, the looks. It makes you want to pick it up, if only to just noodle around on it. And that seduces you into playing more. If it seems too much like work, then perhaps you don't have the right uke. Learn songs you love, either to sing, or just the sound of the music on its own. It's for your pleasure.

Allow me to clarify...... this is a somewhat lighthearted problem. I already play guitar (22 years), mandolin (12 years) and concertina. Just looking for how to motivate myself on the uke

Since you already play, you should know what to do with the ukulele.

My first uke was Kala KA-S that lived for 1 month (until my son threw it down the stairs). At the time (which was 5 years ago), I didn't care; in fact, good riddance. I play th epiano and guitar; I found the uke lacking in all areas.

I think that's where you are. The desire for the uke might come back later or it might not; but either way, it is better than forcing yourself to like it right now.

Why do you want to play the uke? You said you play other instruments all badly.. why do you play other instruments?
your post makes no sense.. no one can make you play something..

Why do you want to play the uke? You said you play other instruments all badly.. why do you play other instruments?
your post makes no sense.. no one can make you play something..

OK, I'll tell you what.............let's skip the whole thing. Ive seen people who are too serious or have no sense of humor, but really......

Deadpool is a Marvel superhero: From the Wiki: "The character is known as the "Merc with a Mouth" because of his tendency to talk and joke constantly, including breaking the fourth wall for humorous effect and running gags." ... some irony here.

Deadpool is a Marvel superhero: From the Wiki: "The character is known as the "Merc with a Mouth" because of his tendency to talk and joke constantly, including breaking the fourth wall for humorous effect and running gags." ... some irony here.

A long time ago I took a quiz to determine what superhero I most closely related to who you ask? Deadpool of course-hence the user name...

Weird thread! :confused:

When I started on uke - I was terrible - (you can see how bad on YT - I leave it there to give encouragement to others). :p

I'm still not very good, but I only play for my own enjoyment, so it really doesn't matter. :cool:

However, I have found that the uke isn't my main musical instrument, I have moved on to harmonicas, whistles, keyless flutes & picccolos - maybe re think what you want to play too. :)

Hey deadpool, no one is hopeless. Just put the uke and other instruments to the side. It can be fun to just chat with the nice people here on the forum. The uke is the link, ok. But the truth behind is: it's about being part of a social environment. Since you are here, you are part of the folks here. Some day your uke will talk to you eventually. From this day, it will be fun to talk about ukes with all others here. Relax.

Im awful on mine compared to others.
I have several different ones.
I have tried off and on over several years.
Suddenly one showed up that spoke to me.
It chose me. I’m still only playing chords but, the difference is that they sound amazing.
The uke has to choose you. Keep trying.

Im awful on mine compared to others.
I have several different ones.
I have tried off and on over several years.
Suddenly one showed up that spoke to me.
It chose me. I’m still only playing chords but, the difference is that they sound amazing.
The uke has to choose you. Keep trying.

This was my point, Sallybee. You have to find the uke that speaks to you, and makes you want to play. It's like a soulmate.

Top Bottom