Moonbird concert

Loska

Reaction score
Hello you Moonbird, especially UC200 concert owners and testers!

For a while ago I bumped into few wonderful reviews of Moonbirds and have been reading almost everything that I found this site. It seems to be getting a lot of good reviews and praises.

So I was wondering about the sound - is it a traditional ukulele sound at all or towards more modern? How's the volume and balance? Is it possible to make a comparison with the K brands?

Another words, I'm thinking whether to try one out, or save my pennies for the future when KoAlohas and Kamakas are easier to find here in Europe. :confused:

I think they’re fantastic. Weird, but fantastic. The tone is sweet and balanced, and unconventional building decisions are all over the place with them, but it’s better for it. Compared to Hawaiian ukes, I find them easier to play than Kanile’as (because of a different neck shape), and I prefer the tone as well. When it comes to KoAloha, I think they shine best with sopranos, but the moonbird isn’t as sweet as my Kamaka. Close, though. But that’s all subjective. I will say they feel on the same level build-wise (with the only real consideration being different finishes). They’re just great ukes.

Last edited:
I think they’re fantastic. Weird, but fantastic. The tone is sweet and balanced, and unconventional building decisions are all over the place with them, but it’s better for it. Compared to Hawaiian ukes, I find them easier to play than Kanile’as (because of a different neck shape), and I prefer the tone as well. When it comes to KoAloha, I think they shine best with sopranos, but the moonbird isn’t as sweet as my Kamaka. Close, though. But that’s all subjective. I will say they feel on the same level build-wise (with the only real consideration being different finishes). They’re just great ukes.

Thanks, this really helps! Sometimes I find hard to play barre chords with Kanile'a even though I love the neck shape. Also nice to hear that Moonbirds sound sweet too, that is very important to me.

I have the soprano Moon Bird so I feel comfortable commenting even though you asked about the concert. Simply put, the build quality of the Moon Bird (or aNueNue ukes in general) is on par with Kanile'a, both of which are the best quality ukes I've personally played. For me, the neck profiles between them is very similar. Kanile'a just has a wider neck, but both have that wonderfully thin neck towards the nut. One thing to note about aNueNue is that the string spacing is quite wide even though the nut isn't, meaning that there is very little room between the outer strings and the edge of the fretboard. It's not a major issue but something that took me a while to get used to.

Regarding the sound, Moon Birds are definitely more modern than traditional, in my opinion. They also have the fullest sound I've experienced of any uke. The spruce top gives great clarity and punch, and the rosewood back and sides make the sound full and warm. Highs, mids and lows are all present. And they're loud, seriously so. I bet my soprano Moon Bird would outclass even quite a few concerts in terms of volume. Definitely louder than my concert Kanile'a.

BTW, if you're looking for a KoAloha concert, Gute Ukulele has a couple available: https://gute-ukulele.de/collections/ukulelen-1/koaloha+concert?sort_by=price-descending
Just be aware that I've had a few issues with my KoAloha soprano. Even though I like it, I've had some buzzing and intonation issues with it. The Moon Bird is definitely a safer choice, especially since the price difference is negligible.

edit.

Since it's usually really hard to find aNueNues, I'll leave a link for the best source for them that I could find (courtesy of UU member Ludwig who told me of this shop originally): https://www.musikhaus-sedlmeyr.de/shop/ann-uc200.html
It's actually the exact same price than the KoAloha concert. :)

Last edited:
I have the soprano Moon Bird so I feel comfortable commenting even though you asked about the concert. Simply put, the build quality of the Moon Bird (or aNueNue ukes in general) is on par with Kanile'a, both of which are the best quality ukes I've personally played. For me, the neck profiles between them is very similar. Kanile'a just has a wider neck, but both have that wonderfully thin neck towards the nut. One thing to note about aNueNue is that the string spacing is quite wide even though the nut isn't, meaning that there is very little room between the outer strings and the edge of the fretboard. It's not a major issue but something that took me a while to get used to.

Regarding the sound, Moon Birds are definitely more modern than traditional, in my opinion. They also have the fullest sound I've experienced of any uke. The spruce top gives great clarity and punch, and the rosewood back and sides make the sound full and warm. Highs, mids and lows are all present. And they're loud, seriously so. I bet my soprano Moon Bird would outclass even quite a few concerts in terms of volume. Definitely louder than my concert Kanile'a.

BTW, if you're looking for a KoAloha concert, Gute Ukulele has a couple available: https://gute-ukulele.de/collections/ukulelen-1/koaloha+concert?sort_by=price-descending
Just be aware that I've had a few issues with my KoAloha soprano. Even though I like it, I've had some buzzing and intonation issues with it. The Moon Bird is definitely a safer choice, especially since the price difference is negligible.

edit.

Since it's usually really hard to find aNueNues, I'll leave a link for the best source for them that I could find (courtesy of UU member Ludwig who told me of this shop originally): https://www.musikhaus-sedlmeyr.de/shop/ann-uc200.html
It's actually the exact same price than the KoAloha concert. :)

Thank you Dohle, again! This really helps!

I finally bought a Moonbird of my own and wow, this beauty is loud and very interesting! Compared to my Kanile'a, it is completely different. Of course I will get to know it much better and a proper NUD is coming later, but I just had to write few words immediately as I'm quite surprised by its sound. It is very deep, rich, rounded, yet clear when you need it to be. Barre chords are ridiculously easy. I knew it wouldn't be a traditional ukulele, but I wasn't expecting this kind of a sound. Oh dear, I don't know what to think of it!

Top Bottom