Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Waverly Friction Pegs: Thoughts?

Default New Waverly Friction Pegs: Thoughts?

https://www.stewmac.com/parts-and-ha...2.html#reviews

Gripes in the reviews on Stewmac include the smallish knobs, and Stewmac's countersink bit.

Has anyone here installed them? Thinking about replacing the old Waverly's in my Martin R&D baritone. Love the big fat knobs, don't love the sticking pegs.
    Last edited by Cubeistan; 06-05-2020 at 08:49 AM.

Dave (Petaluma Rescuke) installed a set on a vintage Martin he "rescued" for me. They're awesome.

A local luthier who gave the instrument a once-over was impressed with them, too.
    SOPRANOS: • 1920s Gibson UKE1 (Olympian label) • 1930s Martin 2M • Ohana SK-28 ‘Nunes’ • 1950s Harmony Roy Speck soprano • Flea koa • Ohana SK-35G solid mahogany • Famous FS-1 • Vintage 'Mauna Loa' c. 1925 soprano
    CONCERTS: • Martin C1K • Ohana CK-50WG (solid cedar top) • Firefly maple banjolele • Makala MK-CE
    OBJETS D'ART: • Kahuna "Felix the Cat" soprano • Woodrow "Steelers" soprano

Raleigh Uke Jam:

My YouTube page

I've used them a few times for clients that insisted on them. You really do need to know how to install them in regards to the countersinking for the tops side bushing or you'll have issues with how they work.

As far as friction pegs go they are probably the best I've seen. So if that is a requirement then use them. But I would never rate them as a great tuner and wouldn't use them unless my client requested them.

Quote Originally Posted by Allen View Post
    As far as friction pegs go they are probably the best I've seen. So if that is a requirement then use them. But I would never rate them as a great tuner and wouldn't use them unless my client requested them.
    Sorry, just to clarify: even though they're the best friction tuners in your experience, but you wouldn't rate them as great? Is it because they are friction?

I have installed many sets of Waverly friction tuners on ukulele. I like the size and weight of them and that you can get koa knobs, but as Allen said, they can be a little fiddly to install. You do need the countersink. For a bari, I would get the Grover Deluxe Champion ukulele tuners. Large knobs, easier to install and I really like the larger adjustment screw.
    Brad
    Bradford Donaldson
    Kekaha, HI and Cannon Beach OR
    bradfordj48@outlook.com

That's great info. Big thanks Brad! Just added those to the order. Will look at both sets with luthier Will Bright, Bright Guitars, who'll do the install, and decide which way to go.
    Last edited by Cubeistan; 06-05-2020 at 02:54 PM.

I installed them on one of my DIY builds. I bought their countersink and followed all the directions. No problem with installation, and they are very light and look great. I do find them a bit fussy, though. I can't get them to hold tune unless I have the screw pretty snug, and then fine tuning is touchy. However, they do hold tune well - I can walk away from that instrument for a few days, and it will only need mild tweaking to retune.

Quote Originally Posted by tonyturley View Post
    I installed them on one of my DIY builds. I bought their countersink and followed all the directions. No problem with installation, and they are very light and look great. I do find them a bit fussy, though. I can't get them to hold tune unless I have the screw pretty snug, and then fine tuning is touchy. However, they do hold tune well - I can walk away from that instrument for a few days, and it will only need mild tweaking to retune.
    Thanks Tony. Very touchy fine tuning is my issue with these original Waverlys. That's what i'm trying to avoid with the change. If that's the case I'd stick with the originals. One would (I would anyway, lol) think the spring in the new Waverlys make that a non-issue.

Brad, in your experience how do those Grover Champion Deluxes perform WRT holding tune and fine tuning?
    Last edited by Cubeistan; 06-05-2020 at 04:22 PM.

It seems to me that the Grovers are both easier to adjust and hold their tuning better. The Waverly tuners have to be tightened fairly hard for them to hold their tuning, but the smaller knobs make it twitchy to fine tune. The difference in the knob size is a trade off for a soprano ukulele, but with a bari the Grover tuners fit the bill nicely.
    Brad
    Bradford Donaldson
    Kekaha, HI and Cannon Beach OR
    bradfordj48@outlook.com

They are beautiful, but pricey for friction tuners. I avoid tuners that are difficult/tricky to install. Drill a hole, stick 'em in. It should be that simple.
    Too many ukes, but I can't stop buying!
    https://www.catskillukulelegroup.com/

Thread Information