New Waverly Friction Pegs: Thoughts?

Dave (Petaluma Rescuke) installed a set on a vintage Martin he "rescued" for me. They're awesome.

A local luthier who gave the instrument a once-over was impressed with them, too.

I've used them a few times for clients that insisted on them. You really do need to know how to install them in regards to the countersinking for the tops side bushing or you'll have issues with how they work.

As far as friction pegs go they are probably the best I've seen. So if that is a requirement then use them. But I would never rate them as a great tuner and wouldn't use them unless my client requested them.

As far as friction pegs go they are probably the best I've seen. So if that is a requirement then use them. But I would never rate them as a great tuner and wouldn't use them unless my client requested them.

Sorry, just to clarify: even though they're the best friction tuners in your experience, but you wouldn't rate them as great? Is it because they are friction?

I have installed many sets of Waverly friction tuners on ukulele. I like the size and weight of them and that you can get koa knobs, but as Allen said, they can be a little fiddly to install. You do need the countersink. For a bari, I would get the Grover Deluxe Champion ukulele tuners. Large knobs, easier to install and I really like the larger adjustment screw.
Brad

That's great info. Big thanks Brad! Just added those to the order. Will look at both sets with luthier Will Bright, Bright Guitars, who'll do the install, and decide which way to go.

Last edited:
I installed them on one of my DIY builds. I bought their countersink and followed all the directions. No problem with installation, and they are very light and look great. I do find them a bit fussy, though. I can't get them to hold tune unless I have the screw pretty snug, and then fine tuning is touchy. However, they do hold tune well - I can walk away from that instrument for a few days, and it will only need mild tweaking to retune.

I installed them on one of my DIY builds. I bought their countersink and followed all the directions. No problem with installation, and they are very light and look great. I do find them a bit fussy, though. I can't get them to hold tune unless I have the screw pretty snug, and then fine tuning is touchy. However, they do hold tune well - I can walk away from that instrument for a few days, and it will only need mild tweaking to retune.

Thanks Tony. Very touchy fine tuning is my issue with these original Waverlys. That's what i'm trying to avoid with the change. If that's the case I'd stick with the originals. One would (I would anyway, lol) think the spring in the new Waverlys make that a non-issue.

Brad, in your experience how do those Grover Champion Deluxes perform WRT holding tune and fine tuning?

Last edited:
It seems to me that the Grovers are both easier to adjust and hold their tuning better. The Waverly tuners have to be tightened fairly hard for them to hold their tuning, but the smaller knobs make it twitchy to fine tune. The difference in the knob size is a trade off for a soprano ukulele, but with a bari the Grover tuners fit the bill nicely.
Brad

Great thoughts, Jerry, Brad, Tony, And All. Thank you! Larger knobs and easier to turn, make the decision easy. Grovers FTW!

Despite some of the points made here, I do love the look of those Waverly tuners and I may try them at some point. I think they would be a good choice on a vintage soprano. Christopher Davis Shannon has them on his Wunderkammer. He talks about them at 2:30

Last edited:
Just yesterday I installed these for the first time and liked them as replacements/repair for what I was working on.

Drill a 3/16" hole and use the countersink in a drill press (don't do it with a hand drill). I drilled a bit and checked about 5 times for each hole till i got it just right.

The 1:1 ratio is pretty stupid thing to install on new ukes but appropriate for replacements on old instruments.

Ages ago I contacted Stewmac and suggested they also make these with gears (so, like Gotoh UPTL's) as I would then use them on my new ukes.

IMG_0528.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_0528.jpg
    IMG_0528.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 21
Last edited:
They look nice but what does the countersunk part actually bring to the party? We're they all countersunk in the old days? Seems a bit of a sales gimmick to me but hey... If you like them then go for it. :)

Yes, the vintage ukes with these tuners were countersunk. It actually gets more wood surface for the friction peg to turn on, then just being flat. I made a special tool that fit the degree of the barrel that these tuners use. A standard countersink isn't quit the same degree so they don't fit perfect. I've used these tuners on sopranos ans sopraninos mostly, they are well made and are exactly the same as the vintage tuners that I had from older ukes.

QUOTE=Andyk;2230368]They look nice but what does the countersunk part actually bring to the party? We're they all countersunk in the old days? Seems a bit of a sales gimmick to me but hey... If you like them then go for it. :)[/QUOTE]

The old ones are found on the 20s era Gibsons ukes and banjo ukes

gibuke-10.jpg

The old ones are found on the 20s era Gibsons ukes and banjo ukes

View attachment 127620

Yes, the same type are on my 1920s Gibson. The old ones work great. The new Waverlys do the trick on my Martin. If you’re replacing frictions on newer ukes and don’t have a luthier’s shop, I’ve found the Grover 6s are a nice alternative for us weekend hobbyists.

The Waverly are small for a Baritone. I would go with something larger or even a UTP since you are upgrading.

The Waverly are small for a Baritone. I would go with something larger or even a UTP since you are upgrading.

Scratched Waverly off as a replacement. Ordered a set of Gotoh friction pegs I just learned of from a Baz yt video. Twice the price of Grovers, will compare the two sets when they're here.

Top Bottom