I have a new ukulele

SaraClaros

Reaction score
My boyfriend gave me an anniversary ukulele, I have been playing guitar for years and he always wanted me to learn to play ukulele, I hope to learn, any advice you can give me?

Only to enjoy it! Learn to love your uke, and enjoy every minute you spend with it.It will reward you back by being tuneful, and a pleasure to be with.

Look into Uncle Rods Bootcamp, it is a free download and he is a member here. I used it and it’s super helpful in learning the chords and changing them in time. As a guitar player you know that as being the foundation for playing a stringed instrument. Welcome abroad and have fun......ukulele is a fun, casual, free spirited little instrument. Embrace that and you got it made in the shade:shaka:

Last edited:
My boyfriend gave me an anniversary ukulele, I have been playing guitar for years and he always wanted me to learn to play ukulele, I hope to learn, any advice you can give me?

Yes. Clean you guitar, loosen the strings, put it into its case, and store it somewhere safe. From what I've heard, once you switch to the uke, you never go back. ;)

Welcome! I played guitar for many years also. The guitars now sit unused, and my ukulele collection is growing. I find the uke easier to play, and just a more fun instrument in general. Biggest learning curve for me was not confusing guitar chords and notes with uke chords and notes. I will still on occasion go to a guitar fingering for a chord rather than an uke fingering. Have fun with your uke! What size did you get?

Welcome! I just signed up here and also have played guitar for some time. I've been learning on a borrowed ukulele. My first uke is on order from Mim at mimsukes.

What type of uke did you get? What have you been learning? I've found that even simple strumming on a uke is satisfying.

Welcome to UU, SaraClaros!
I expect you to have a lot to build on coming from the guitar. Consistency is important if you're learning something new, be it an instrument, a language, a dance,... so I strongly suggest you practise every day (even if it's only 15 minutes).

Welcome to UU and good luck! Why not contact Mims Ukes and ask for some help picking out an ukulele?
She's about the best there is.

Top Bottom