Season 434 - 'Groundhog Year'

I'm going for 1973, it's the year I left home and started working at the grand old age of 16 and three quarters. My first working day was actually the 1st of January 1973, it didn't become an official public holiday in England until 1974. Here's a simple, short version of Lynyrd Skynyrd's Free Bird from their debut album released in the US in 1973.

Here's another on from the year of our Lord, 1971. I've always loved this song for as long as I can remember and it always makes me think back to my childhood. Not that we were dirt poor and my mum made me coat, rather she is a big Dolly Parton fan and this song was a constant soundrack in the house and car. There's something about Dolly singing this song (Tammy Wynette singing "I Don't Wanna Play House" has the same effect) that makes me go all goosebumpy and feel a bit tearful. In a good way...

What a great day! I spent most of it with my 10 year old daughter - computer games, simultaneous equations, a mid-walk torrential downpour and lots of laughs along the way. And then this evening some live sport on TV at last! Snooker has rarely seemed so exciting, thanks mainly to the absence of any other sports competition in recent months! Can’t wait for the footie to resume! And the icing on the cake has been listening to your fabulous music tonight. Thank you all for embracing the theme so enthusiastically and brilliantly - it’s always a relief when the entries start rolling in at the start of a season! I’ve commented up to this point - Lynda will undoubtedly take over for the night shift and is in charge of the playlist, so don’t panic that it’s a little sparse at the moment! Happy days! :)

I was going to do my favourite olde English ballade from 1373...” Johnnie thou be Goode “....he could play a lute like ringing a belle. I may reconsider.
lol!!!!!!!!!!!! i'm thinking geoff might have to choose his groundhog CENTURY, depending on just how far back in time he's gonna be picking gems from! i'm guessing the precise year some of those wonderful traditional songs were written, and indeed who by exactly, are truly lost in the mists of time!

Ha! Ha! (Even when it's not snowing???)
it's snowing every single day here :confused::rolleyes:;)

Lynda will undoubtedly take over for the night shift
yes indeedy, peeps, lynda here to see you through the night! playlist should be up to date, please let me know if you've posted but aren't on it

it is AWASH already with wonderful covers of shed loads of fantastic music! keep it all coming! :music:

I would have probably picked 2005 as my year, but since I might not find time to do another song this week, I'm going to play the song I really want to do, and pick 1976. With the news of the past week, this song has been stuck in my head, and I played it for the Seasons open mic yesterday. I had previously played this on tiple for Season 260.

The sheet music shows the bass playing a G throughout the verse. The verse starts with an Fmin6, and I needed to play an Ab on the G string for that chord. But other than that, I'm just playing an open G string during the verse.

Howdy gang and thanks to Del & Lynda for hosting this great week.
I will try to post more than 1 song, anyway i have chosen 1970 and this song was top of the pops chsrts here in the UK the week i was born.

Ukulele Daveey....

... would like to join in, but

daveey.jpg

unfortunate turn of phrase given current events, I'd have thought. Anyway, he's trying to find out what's happened; so if there are any mods watching, can they take a sympathetic look at his case, or at least explain to him the reasons for his ban. Ta.

Another 1970 hit. Can't believe these were 50 years ago...:eek:ld:

I fell out of bed this morning and blew the dust off my old beat up no-name baritone for this one. Michael Hurley's sympathetic tale of lycanthropic woe from his wonderful 1971 album, Armchair Boogie.

Here's another from 2004. The year The Killers were unleashed on the world with their debut album Hot Fuss. This album as absolutely stacked with incredible songs, this is the first song of theirs I heard.

Picking songs from just one year was really hard. I learned a bunch while checking out years 1922, 1934, 1960, 1992, 2018 and 2019. I decided to explore the songs of 1955. There’s quite a mix of different types of songs that include jazz, rock, pop, folk, and protest songs. I hope to cover each genre. Here’s, You Don’t Know Me, which was written in 1955 by Cindy Walker.

Last edited:
My year of choice is 1984 - the year of catastrophic famine in Ethiopia and the consequent release of the Band Aid Christmas charity single (which I covered at Christmas). A record that topped the UK charts earlier that December was by a guy called Jim Diamond - an artist who had otherwise limited chart success here. After the charity single was released he urged the British public to buy it in preference to his own record - a fantastic gesture. Here is his only chart topper:

Greetings, Lynda and Del! I have deserted my relatives and left Albert to his equations to come and join you over here. Love this idea for the week. I was thinking of choosing a really irritating year like 1935 (well, actually, I'm sure there were some good songs in 1935!), but then I remembered that I love doo-wop and I've always wanted to try this song, so I ended up with 1960. I heard recently that "Dirty Dancing" (in which "Stay" figures largely) is, apparently the all-time favourite film among women ... as "The Shawshank Redemption" is among men. I certainly wouldn't go that far, but I DO love the music in it. Anyway ...

Last edited:
lol!!!!!!!!!!!! i'm thinking geoff might have to choose his groundhog CENTURY, depending on just how far back in time he's gonna be picking gems from! i'm guessing the precise year some of those wonderful traditional songs were written, and indeed who by exactly, are truly lost in the mists of time!

That's right, it's difficult to know when most folk songs were first written, especially as they were all written by Trad and his sister Anon. I did think to pick 1651 and do a few instrumentals of tunes in the first edition of Playford's Dancing Master. There's some great tunes to go at.

OTOH, the sixties was a time of the folk revival on both sides of the Atlantic so there's plenty of choice from recordings made then. The mid sixties was also a time of much great music outside of folk and folk was an influence on many bands of that era. For now, I've gone for some contemporary folk c/o Tim Hardin so that sets my year as 1966.

Top Bottom