Season 434 - 'Groundhog Year'

Thank you, Del and Lynda, for hosting this week, #434!!!! My Chosen Year is 1979. This is the year my parents split up and their marriage was over. There was a great deal of, er, unrest in the household, I shall say. There were some additional milestones which occurred that year, so, yeah, I’ll leave those things out! But, when this song came on the radio, I had an escape! I danced my hiney off and sang my heart out!!! In full disclosure, I tried to do this tune for Val’s Season last week, but I had terrible technical issues and couldn’t get it done. Since I had worked hard to learn the song and create an arrangement for it, at Yukio’s encouragement (thank you, Yukio!), I decided to share the song for this week. BUT...and a big BUT....I REDID the whole song, created a new arrangement of it, created new audio AND video recordings, barely, as I am still experiencing a plethora of technical issues with which to contend. I would have liked to have shown more of the video footage of backup vocals and instrumentation, but the more I pushed things with the tech, the more issues I ran into. My audio recording and video survived two crashes on my iPad today, so I am gonna ‘call it good.’ Having said all of that, tho, this video and audio recording are not quite up to par with what my imagination had in store...but, again, it will have to suffice. :)

SOTU 434 - Against The Wind - Bob Seger. My daughter’s birthday is Groundhog Day. This song was in the Top 100 the year she was born in 1980 and I heard it everyday riding to work in the weeks before she was born.
https://youtu.be/bczeeD0-cmM
just embedding this lovely vid for everyone's viewing and listening pleasure...

all riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight! playlist should be up to date - please let me know if anything is missing from it. another fantastic day, and night, of wonderful music, everyone! :music: :rock:

we've already had some wonderful t rex covers this week :rock: :rock: :rock: you can, of course, never have too much t rex! and luckily for me, my year, 1976, saw the release of "futuristic dragon", so i can join in the t rex party! here's a song from the album...

"jupiter liar"

Last edited:
Good morning ladies and gents! And wow! Or rather, WOW! 95 entries and still 2 days to go! Thank you all so much for all of the effort and the talent that you are contributing to the season. I’m being reminded of so many songs I forgot I even knew, hearing some fabulous songs for the first time, and being treated to some wonderful original songs as well. Please know that to the best of my knowledge Ive listened to every second of every song and commented, but do let me know if I’ve missed anything. My thanks to Lynda for being a fantastic co-host and for overseeing the playlist! Keep ‘em coming everyone! :)

Number 11 for me and Nathan decided to join in too! I thought I'd try and teach him the main chord progression as it's three one finger chords. Clips of that at the end of the video.

This is a Blink-182 song I've always loved, but until I sat down to play it I didn't realise how clever the chord progressions are in this song, really simple but really effective with moving bass notes, which as I'm sure a lot of you know I absolutely love

I'm not quite certain of the year this song came into being. There is some reference to some of the (many many) verses in some writings from 1536. It is at least 500 years old, however. Let's just shoot for a round figure and say it is from the year 1500. Sung in an American approximation of the Bernese dialect of German.

Faces released two great albums in 1971 (Sir Roderick of Stewart was no slouch in the solo stakes either, releasing Every Picture Tells A Story the same year). Here's a song from the second of those two albums which also happens to be my favourite Faces song. Written by the late, great Ronnie Lane.

Another U2 song from the Album the Joshua Tree, released in 1987, this is I still haven't found what I'm looking for.

Ahoy everybody
I was planning on playing Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds Do You Love Me? and during playing around with those minor chords I ended up in a completely different genre...
Here is Cypress Hill's Looking Through the Eye of a Pig

Another original of mine from my still fertile source - the songs I wrote back in February (Ah... Pre-Covid... we didn't know what we had till we lost it!)

This one is in the spirit of a classic country song with a barman offering some advice to a customer who has had a few too many.

It was another one written, recorded and uploaded in an hour to FAWM. The prompt this time was "Drink"

Hope you like:

Shadow Of A Doubt (Complex Kid)

I wanted to do one off 'Damn The Torpedoes', but I've already covered 'Louisiana Rain' way back when, and gave up on 'Refugee' (the only key in which the riff sounded any good on uke was still way too high for me - yet still way below the key TP sang it in!). So I've knocked this one off this afternoon. It could be better, but as we all know, in the Seasons, the best is oft the enemy of the good. ;-)

Life During Lockdown

Ukefoote's cover of 'Air' from the same album, inspired me, unwisely perhaps, to cover this one from the same album.

His cover was superb: this one's 'enthusiastic.' :)

Even as a young boy watching the re-runs of the Monkees TV shows, I always thought Nesmith was the coolest in the band (the wooly hat, the Texan twang, his mum inventing liquid paper...) and my suspicions were confirmed when, in later life, I discovered the three brilliant albums he made with The First National Band between 1970 and 1971. This track is from their third album, Nevada Fighter. All three albums are well worth checking out if you're not familar with his post-Monkees work.

Is She Really Going Out With Him?

Joe Jackson released two albums in 1979, "Look Sharp" & "I'm The Man." This one's from "Look Sharp."

Aaaaand number 12! This is from the Libertines and this has comfortably been the most songs I've ever played for a season. I've had a blast, Lynda and Del, thanks for the trip down memory lane. Now to get ready for the Zoom
chat...

my year, 1976, was the year concorde started commercial flights. it was a gorgeous aircraft, that flew incredibly high, was the preferred mode of transport for glamorous film stars, and also of course produced the famous sonic boom, which was thrilling to hear... although i expect that for people living under the flight path, that aspect of things got old pretty quickly!

here is a celebration, "concorde's eye view of my ukulele"...

playlist should be up to date - please let me know if anything is missing. another wonderful day and night of fantastic music! :rock: big thanks to everyone for leaping so enthusiastically into the season - and to del for coming up with such a fantastic theme idea! :rock:

Last edited:
Top Bottom