Season 434 - 'Groundhog Year'

Lynda, if you weren't aware or if i haven't already tried to get you onto these guys, their first album is RIGHT. UP. YOUR. STREET.
you're not wrong! what a fantastic song!!!!!!!

ok peeps, playlist should be up to date, let me know if it's missing anything - SO MANY GREAT SONGS AND VIDS, EVERYONE! :rock:

still floundering around in 1972 like the newborn slug i was
a song for our hostess

I was trying to come up with a year on Saturday night and couldn't make up my mind, so I tossed it to the fates and used a web-based random number generator to pick one for me, with the range set between my birth year and now.

1996 was an ok year I guess. I graduated high school, went off to college, and listened to the Sebadoh album Harmacy over and over and over again.

A tidbit of trivia, Lou Barlow (guitar and singer of Sebadoh and all around lo-fi godfather) has said in interviews that he writes a lot of his songs on a ukulele.

This was the best selling single in the UK in 1970.

Simon & Garfunkel released two albums in 1966 and this is from the second one. The title of the album was taken from the refrain of this song which Paul Simon learnt from Martin Carthy. Carthy himself had recorded it some time earlier following a version recorded by Ewan MacColl and MacColl had only used about half of the verses of the original in his recording - presumably because at that time records were not able to cope with songs longer than about 2.5 minutes (my version here is substantially longer - I hope you stick with it, it tells a good story). Martin Carthy developed a signature guitar riff for the song which Paul Simon used in S&G's version and this caused a deal of acrimony because of a failure (probably by the record company) to acknowledge Carthy's contribution. It was eventually resolved sometime after 2000 when both realised that the continuing acrimony rumbling on did neither of them any favours. Paul Simon apologised and invited Martin Carthy up on stage to perform the song with him at a London Concert. The song itself has its origins in a 17th century broadside and was called "Elfin Knight" and dealt with the notion of a woman defending herself against a would be supernatural lover through a series of challenges to impossible tasks. The Elfin lover disappeared over the years and it became a song about two estranged lovers getting at each other as all too often happens when a relationship breaks up.

A nice version Geoff,I first heard Scarborough Fair in the late ' 60's. It was performed by Robin and Barry Dransfield who had also played in the Crimple Mountain Boys Bluegrass. This was at the Harrogate folk club. The Dransfields put this song on their Route of the Blues album.

It's taken me a while, but I think I've got to the bottom of this. My old computer's CPU doesn't appear to be up to the task of running MS3 & QT7 simultaneously.

I opened the edited audio file in the sound editor (Audacity), the MS score in Musescore and set them off running together. They remained in sync throughout at 120 bpm.

The only conclusion I can come to, given that MS was running some 7%-8% slower than it should have been while I was recording my parts, is that the load placed upon the CPU by the QT software somehow slowed down the MS playback speed.

If I do something like this again, I'll record the video on a separate device.

You can export your MS scores to MP3. Import to Audacity then record along to the playback from Audacity. That way, you should keep everything in sync. You do need a decent interface or USB mic to avoid problems with latency.

Can't live in 2004 without doing something off American Idiot. Biggest album of that year, that decade and possibly even the century so far. A punk rock opera, my first concept album, home to one of the greatest songs ever written, Jesus of Suburbia, completely changed my life and how I viewed music. Green Day and rock music in general never quite hit the same heights afterwards imo.

This has always been one of my favourites from this album, it's probably the only purely punk song on the album but still has all the theatre the rest of the album does, and when that first card comes and slaps you round the face while you're in the middle of the fade out from Are We the Waiting you can't help but start head banging.

I saw Green Day at Reading Festival in 2013 and they did a full playthrough of Dookie. What I wouldn't give to be at a full playthrough of this masterpiece.

Kinks 1964 via Lazy Lester (Chords might be right, words half remembered and verses in no particular order, and some omitted, and finally done at the wrong tempo) You might call it a botched attempt, or an individualistic interpretation... in any case it is some music played on a hot afternoon when I should be having a nap.

Ahoy everybody.
It has been a while - I have not been very active recently as life got a bit hectic there for a few weeks. Now summer vacation has begun and time is a bit more available.
I have been thinking about various different years but ended up with 1998 as that is when Beck's Mutations album came out, which is one of my favourite albums.
Selecting 1998 also serves as a motivator for trying to complete my Intergalactic rendition as Hello Nasty by the Beastie Boys came out in the same year.
Anywho, here is a Beck song to conclude my 4 week absence.

Another great song from 1987, this is by Sting and called Englishman in New York.
I love this song, but the lyrics are so not me ;), as I really don't like tea, toast done on one side and I am not an Englishman.

Well im back again,
Another entry for Season 434,with another hit song from 1970.
This song was a big hit from a big film which i presume was also released this year.The film was Butch Cassidy & the Sun dance Kid.

Let's not muck about, 1971's 'Master Of Reality' is Black Sabbath's greatest album and here's my take on one of the standout tracks. I've tried to un-Sabbath it as much as I could... I've also enlisted the help of my good friend, John who pops up via his mobile telecommunication device with harmony vocals and an honest to goodness electric guitar solo. 🤘

Howdy again folks,well as i descend into my lock down madness and stuck in doors and 1970 i think the madness has got a grip on me.I didn't know this song and haven't really practised it, i thought i would just go for it,its a bit of a long one i don't expect you to make it to the end.I used the the a list of hits from 1970 Australia to get all my songs.

This song is from a Australian singer/songwriter and obviously in the charts down under.He is a true blue Aussie icon,Mr John Williamson.

Thanks to Del and Lynda for hosting and for a great theme! I've been very busy and distracted by a bunch of stuff, but i'm glad Del and I could get this one in. It happened by chance really. I wasn't able to make Steve's weekly zoom meetup on Saturday, so I touched base with Del and he mentioned he'd played this one there. I checked the year it was released and found plenty of other material worth exploring if time allows and suggested we could do this one. It came together pretty quickly once we got started. Thanks to Del making the time to do this one. Really love his playing and arrangements here.

Thanks to Del and Lynda for hosting and for a great theme! I've been very busy and distracted by a bunch of stuff, but i'm glad Del and I could get this one in. It happened by chance really. I wasn't able to make Steve's weekly zoom meetup on Saturday, so I touched base with Del and he mentioned he'd played this one there. I checked the year it was released and found plenty of other material worth exploring if time allows and suggested we could do this one. It came together pretty quickly once we got started. Thanks to Del making the time to do this one. Really love his playing and arrangements here.

It might look from the preview here that this video won’t play - but I’m happy to report that it does! :)

Top Bottom