Season 434 - 'Groundhog Year'

Well i thought i was done, but then I did a little Brucey Bonus in the zoom chat last night because I know Del likes this song... He politely suggested I might chuck a version up on the thread too. So here's my baker's dozen. Think I'm safe from being caught by Bobby now.

You'll all be relieved to hear that this is my final song from 1971...A huge thank you to Lynda and Del for a great season! I don't know if you noticed but I really enjoyed myself this week. There are still so many songs I didn't get to do! So many albums that should have been mentioned (Sticky Fingers, Led Zep IV, What's Going On, Blue, Tapestry, Maggot Brain, Tago Mago...man...the list goes on and on...)
I'll finish with this little known ditty by some fella from an obscure British beat combo who never really amounted to much and split up the year before (all of the members went on to have solo careers, the bass player releasing a particularly fine tune about singing frogs...).

I guess this is gonna be my last song for this fun season. My trip to 1987 took me down memory lane for sure, there where some great albums that year, this is from one of the called Meet Danny Wilson. This is my take on Mary's Prayer by Danny Wilson. I think my brother bought that album, and I probably "taped" it ;).

season slowing, as expected on sunday and sunday night, but oh my gosh, the quality of the songs and performances is still set to maximum! wonderful brings from everyone, today and tonight and all week! playlist should be up to date, let me know if anything is missing. not quite the end of the season yet, but i think i can safely say already - what a great week this has been!

One more from 2011. This was named Song of the Year by both NPR and ROlling Stone.
Fitting song to sing 10 days after a break up.

I picked 1993. That's the year the first record I played on, Built to Spill's Ultimate Alternative Wavers was released. I didn't have time to record any songs from that record. Aw.

The Breeders' "Cannonball" played at every party I went to that summer. I was 21 years old, so that was a lot of parties. I didn't have time to figure out an arrangement for this 1993 hit. D'oh.

And Joe Strummer recorded music for a film called When Pigs Fly. I never saw the film. The soundtrack was never released (except for a few songs on the recent Joe Strummer 001 box set). And I have been playing this lost 1993 gem around my apartment a lot recently. Yay!

Gorillas

I posted a cover of "Is She Really Going Out With Him" for this season. On YT yesterday, Del responded with this comment

Del Griffiths • 8 minutes ago said:
Now this one I do know - love this song! The irony being that Joe Jackson actually wasn’t the best looking guy on the planet himself! Cheers Paul! :)

I replied almost straightaway:
redpaul101 said:
True, that. That's why they only put his shoes on the cover of 'Look Sharp'! Not sure there's any irony involved though. If JJ had been a good-looking guy, he'd surely have been one of the 'gorillas' walking the 'pretty women' down his street, & not the guy in the song that's gazing wistfully after them?

This last line is a reference to the opening line of the song: "Pretty women walking with gorillas down my street."

8 hours later, I went back to the comments on that video, but there was no reply from me. "Strange" thought I. "I must have forgotten to press the 'Reply' button." So I re-typed my comment, and posted it.

Imagine my surprise when, this morning, 'no comment.' So I tried again. Only this time I sent Del an apology for not replying, saying that if it 'took', I'd edit it in an hours time to include my original reply.

It took. So I edited it to include my original reply. I then decided to add the words "Edit: 1 hour later". But when I hit 'reply', an ever-spinning circle appeared. 'Open in YT (rather than YT Studio)' appeared as an option. So I did. But when I opened the vid in YT... yep, the comment had vanished again.

So I tried adding my reply in YT rather than in YT Studio. Yes, I can see it here in YT. Good. Let's have a look in YT Studio. Wha? No comment. Go back to YT... no comment.

A dawning suspicion arises. As an experiment I do this:
redpaul101 said:
This is the 5th time I've tried to post this reply. For some reason, it just doesn't stick. So for the 5th time of asking:
"True, that. That's why they only put his shoes on the cover of 'Look Sharp'! Not sure there's any irony involved though. If JJ had been a good-looking guy, he'd surely have been one of the 'g****s' walking the 'pretty women' down his street, & not the guy in the song that's gazing wistfully after them?"

And that's the version that's still there now.

It was the "g-word" that attracted the attention of the YT police bots, who silently and assiduously deleted my replies. I guess I can understand why.

So this is not a moan (though it would have been nice if I'd been told why, and not left me to work it out for myself) but rather it's a heads-up to you all. Be careful of posting anything in a YT comment, even a lyric, that contains a word or phrase that could be construed as a racial slur.

Also, today would have been Ukey Dave's birthday (his 61st).

Last edited:
It was the "g-word" that attracted the attention of the YT police bots, who silently and assiduously deleted my replies. I guess I can understand why.

So this is not a moan (though it would have been nice if I'd been told why, and not left me to work it out for myself) but rather it's a heads-up to you all. Be careful of posting anything in a YT comment, even a lyric, that contains a word or phrase that could be construed as a racial slur.

Thanks for the heads up, Paul!

So there we have it folks - the end of Groundhog Year! The time loop has been vanquished and you may all now (reluctantly?) return to the here and now! A huge consolation awaits in the form of Ylle’s new Earworm season, which is well under way elsewhere - go check it out!

Thanks all so much for everything you’ve brought to our season- it has been a joy to host! A wrap from each of us will follow within a few days, and prize winners will be announced then. I’m off to burn some CDs and print some inserts.

My huge thanks also to my co-host Lynda for all her energy, enthusiasm and friendship! :)

I posted a cover of "Is She Really Going Out With Him" for this season. On YT yesterday, Del responded with this comment

I replied almost straightaway:

This last line is a reference to the opening line of the song: "Pretty women walking with gorillas down my street."

8 hours later, I went back to the comments on that video, but there was no reply from me. "Strange" thought I. "I must have forgotten to press the 'Reply' button." So I re-typed my comment, and posted it.

Imagine my surprise when, this morning, 'no comment.' So I tried again. Only this time I sent Del an apology for not replying, saying that if it 'took', I'd edit it in an hours time to include my original reply.

It took. So I edited it to include my original reply. I then decided to add the words "Edit: 1 hour later". But when I hit 'reply', an ever-spinning circle appeared. 'Open in YT (rather than YT Studio)' appeared as an option. So I did. But when I opened the vid in YT... yep, the comment had vanished again.

So I tried adding my reply in YT rather than in YT Studio. Yes, I can see it here in YT. Good. Let's have a look in YT Studio. Wha? No comment. Go back to YT... no comment.

A dawning suspicion arises. As an experiment I do this:

And that's the version that's still there now.

Also, today would have been Ukey Dave's birthday (his 61st).

Damon Albarn will be furious

Right - just finished burning CD prizes and printing inserts and labels! The eagle-eyed amongst you will notice that there are a few more than the 6 prizes (3 chosen by each of us) originally promised - let’s just say we are expecting a much harder time with the judging than we first anticipated! You’re all too good! :)

217B3237-C929-42B1-8AF2-B6E80E7F091F.jpg

So there we have it folks - the end of Groundhog Year! The time loop has been vanquished and you may all now (reluctantly?) return to the here and now! A huge consolation awaits in the form of Ylle’s new Earworm season, which is well under way elsewhere - go check it out!

Thanks all so much for everything you’ve brought to our season- it has been a joy to host! A wrap from each of us will follow within a few days, and prize winners will be announced then. I’m off to burn some CDs and print some inserts.

My huge thanks also to my co-host Lynda for all her energy, enthusiasm and friendship! :)

right back at you, oh lovely co-host! and i echo the big thanks to everyone who has brought such wonderful music and fantastic performances to this super week! playlist should now be totally up to date, let me know if anything is missing.

:rock:

Thank you so much for a great week guys! Just one of those ones where keeping on playing just felt right, and that was in no small part thanks to your brilliant hosting!

Greetings,

Thank you Del and Lynda for hosting, it was an awesome week. I tried to listen to all vids but alas...ran out of time and energy. Had rabies shots last week and this week. Word to the wise for rodent lovers (I am one) to be careful if you feed our woodland critters. If they break your skin with a bite, get the shots. Not fun, but I watched a few poor souls on the internet die of the disease. It’s worth the peace of mind to get the shots.

:)

Greetings,

Thank you Del and Lynda for hosting, it was an awesome week. I tried to listen to all vids but alas...ran out of time and energy. Had rabies shots last week and this week. Word to the wise for rodent lovers (I am one) to be careful if you feed our woodland critters. If they break your skin with a bite, get the shots. Not fun, but I watched a few poor souls on the internet die of the disease. It’s worth the peace of mind to get the shots.

:)

WOAH! Best wishes that you feel better soon. I was thinking of trying to befriend a fox so he/she might scare off the wood chucks, but I think better of it now.

Okay folks here’s the wrap part 1 - Lynda’s will follow shortly!

3 winners each wasn’t enough - you are all too good - so we extended that to 5 each! See Lynda’s wrap for her choices - mine are in the video below.

Would the winners please PM their postal addresses to me so that I can send their prizes. If any winners don’t particularly want their prize that’s fine (we won’t be offended!) - but please let us know so that we can send unwanted spares to anyone else that wants one (while stocks last!). :)

Thanks all again!

Top Bottom