Season 434 - 'Groundhog Year'

DelGriff

A very boring man!
Reaction score
SEASON 434 - GROUNDHOG YEAR

Good morning, afternoon and evening everybody! So… last July Lynda (bird’s eye view of my ukulele) and I co-hosted Season 388 together, and had a blast doing it. And now we’ve decided to have another go in the hope that you all might enjoy it too this time! ;-)

Now you may be a little puzzled by the title of this week’s theme – it’s derived from the title of a 1993 film (Groundhog Day), starring Bill Murray as a cynical TV weatherman covering an annual Groundhog Day event in Punxsutawney, Pennsylvania, who becomes trapped in a time loop forcing him to endlessly repeat the day of February 2.

So for Season 434 we are going to musically trap you in a time loop, forcing you to endlessly repeat the year of your choice. In other words, you can only play songs that were written and/or recorded and/or released in that one specific year. You must choose and state that year in the written post with your first entry and stick to it for the rest of the week, restating the year in the text of each subsequent post for your hosts’ convenience please. But do not deviate from that one same year or I’ll set Lynda on you! Get it? Good!!!

Originals are welcome, but they must have a connection to your year of choice - for example an event that happened to you (births, deaths, marriages, meetings etc), or a significant national or world event from that particular year. That should give you plenty of scope.

Collaborations (from the year chosen by at least one of the collaborators) and multitracking are welcome, as are other instruments – but ukulele must be in the mix somewhere!

THERE IS NO SONG LIMIT!

The season starts at 12.01am Hawaiian time Sunday 7th June and ends at 11.59pm Sunday 14th. Both Lynda and I will invoke the host’s privilege and post one song each below as an example of what we need - everyone else will have to wait until the official starting time!

THERE WILL BE PRIZES! We will each choose our 3 favourite entries (yes that’s 6 altogether!), and the winners will receive a prize - details of which can be discovered in the short video below:

Winners will be announced in the wraps within a few days of the end of the Season.

Most of all……. HAVE FUN!

Lynda will be managing the playlist this time, but I will add a link to it here when it’s up and running.

Edit: here it is -

PLAYLIST

And don’t forget Val’s relatively wonderful season 433 still has another day and a bit to run - so please don’t neglect her! :)

Last edited:
is there a year of music that you'd like to live in this week? tell us your year, tell us why it's your year, and bring a song or two or more from that year.

i'm picking 1976 as my year, because it saw the release of "anarchy in the UK" - the debut single by the sex pistols - and was the year that the underground punk rock movement started to really be seen and heard by more people, as it began to enter the charts, mainstream media, and the wider culture.

i think punk rock, even just the idea of it, is hugely inspiring and liberating, its message being, you just need a few chords, something to play them on, and something you want to say, to get started making your own music.

so i bring you 1976, and "anarchy in the UK"

del and i are posting an intro song each from our years, to get the groundhog party started, but don't forget, the season starts properly at the start of sunday, hawaii time, so don't post your vids until then, as per usual. HAVE FUN! :rock:

Last edited:
Now THAT is a very clever theme, Lynda and Del! (Strangely enough, I just watched the film again in the last week or so.)

Last edited:
It’s a (co-)host’s privilege to post early - hence we are each posting an example of what’s needed this week. Everyone else will have to wait for Sunday (Hawaiian time) I’m afraid!

My chosen year: 1984

Let’s face it, it was always going to be a year in the 80s for me - my fave musical decade by a mile! Synth pop and the New Romantics dominated the music scene here in the UK, and it was music that really connected with me. I’d had my fill of the often tuneless and rather shouty punk era (sorry Lynda!), so it all came as something of a relief! I turned 18 in 1984, I was in the lower 6th form at school so A-level exams were a whole year away, and pubs and parties brought a whole new definition to the word ‘fun’.

And this is a song that I love, and was the soundtrack to every party I can remember from those happy carefree days:

Have fun this week everyone! :)

Great theme guys! Having a quick look through one of my potential years and it was a fantastic trip down memory lane.

Oh wow, guys. Fantastic theme! Now to decide which year ...

Very original and cool thread! Should be no problem to find a year filled with great songs! Excellent early posts by both of you ~

I was going to do my favourite olde English ballade from 1373...” Johnnie thou be Goode “....he could play a lute like ringing a belle. I may reconsider.

Not sure why this came to me. I felt like doing a sort of gentle song. This is from 1970 off Tea for the Tillerman. I was 14 when that album came out. It still holds up well. This song doesn't get covered as much as some others off the record. And in honour of our hosts I've added some synthesizer. In this case Atlantean Bells on Garageband.
Thanks Del and Lynda!

i chose the year of my birth 1961.
This song by The Drifters is the 61st best selling record of the year. After i recorded it, i found out that it was actually released in 1960, but then saw that Jerry Lee Lewis recorded his version in 1961 so i think it sneaks in ...

You know when you turn up to a party and bring a nice bunch of flowers for the lady of the house? Well here I am arriving at Del & Lynda's, with a nice T.Rex song for the hostess (sorry Del, but I think Depeche Mode were still in short trousers at this time)

I knew I would end up with a year from 70s, when my musical world took off, and I sat down to go through the charts from those years. But I didn't get beyond 1970.

Gonna put it out there and suggest i might be the only person going 21st Century. 2004.12 years old. First year of high school. It was at this point my parents stopped being the sole arbiters of all things music and i started to develop my own taste. Going through the list last night I'd forgotten just how much awesome music came out that year. I think this is the song that kicked it off for me though.

Last edited:
Fantastic idea for the season, you guys! I'm going to plonk myself squarely in the year 1971. It's the year I was born but don't hold that against it. A lot of great music, and certainly a lot of my favourites, came out in '71 and I've got a bit of a 'thing' for albums from that year.
I'm going to kick off with this one. It's the longest song I've ever done, and I also had to tune the baritone down a notch to get anywhere near those high notes....

Top Bottom