Season 434 - 'Groundhog Year'

Just about enough time to squeeze another bit of 1971 in before bed...
Here's a Kinks song from their wonderful Muswell Hillbillies album.

So it's 1979 for me. I might have another go at this.

What I did was use Musescore to create a backing track, then I played along to that. I did that to make sure I had all the timing right.

I then thought to myself "why not add the Musescore parts (drums, bass and guitar) to the video I've just recorded?" Why not indeed? Del & BEV do it all the time. It might be fun!

But when I exported all the parts (my uke+vox plus the soundfiles created via Musescore) into a sound editor to mix them together, I discovered that part I'd recorded was about 10% slower than the backing track! Musescore's internal metronome let me down.

It was set to 120bpm, and the parts I exported from Musescore did playback at 120 bpm in the sound editor. But the bpm for my part turned out to be at only 111. Since I'd kept time with the Musescore playback, it (Musescore) must have been running slow. :(

Fortunately, the sound editor I use, Audacity, has an 'increase tempo while keeping pitch constant' feature, so I used that to sync my performance with my backing track.

Normally if I'm editing the audio to a video, I add the edited audio to the video, first making sure that the audio is the same length as the video.

In this instance I needed to add the video to the audio (which was shorter in length than the video) because the audio was at the correct tempo; and doing it that way (adding video to audio), 'shrunk' the video to match the audio.

It didn't lipsync perfectly, but all things considered, I'm happy enough with the result. Next time, if there is a next time, if I want a Musescore to give me 120 bpm, I'll set its metronome to 130 (and keep my fingers crossed)!!

strictly speaking, DEL does it all the time, and i am forever in awe of his editing and production skills! paul, your cover really does have the sound and vibe of the original! :worship:

absolutely loads more fantastic songs and vids! really wonderful stuff from everyone!

but to change that mood :uhoh: here's a homemade-y from me...

my year is 1976 and in july of that year, the viking 1 lander touched down on the surface of mars

A musical number from 1955. I never sing musicals so this is a bit hilarious. I never saw the musical Damn Yankees either but I love Bob Fosse and Gwen Verdon. I could have spent at least a week working on the nuances of this song but I have more genres to get to, including a popular folk protest song that we all know and love, a little country tune, and something jazzy. In the meantime, this is Whatever Lola Wants. I guess Lola works for the devil.

A CHALLENGE..

...for all you collaborators out there! A mash-up of two or more songs from the different years chosen by each of you! For example, verses from one song and choruses from another might work, but I’ll leave the format up to you. I know it’s a tall order, especially halfway through the week, but see if you can come up with something?

Thanks everyone for your enthusiastic participation so far - judging will not be an easy job at the end of this week! Please keep up the fabulous work! :)

Written by Jimmy Cliff, and a hit for Desmond Dekker in 1970

So by my reckoning 2004 was a pretty epic year for Aussie music.

Here's one by Sydney band called Wolfmother. Their debut album came out in 2004 and was all anyone at school would talk about. It's so hard to pick just one song from this album but this has been one I've always wanted to play. Lynda, if you weren't aware or if i haven't already tried to get you onto these guys, their first album is RIGHT. UP. YOUR. STREET.

Despite this being one of the more complicated songs I've played recently this is the first time in ages I've done a seasons vid without the tab sheet on autoscroll split screened with my camera. Felt like it was rushing me and thus left out the pauses it needs. It's so ingrained into my memory that I ended up playing it far better from memory.

So it's 1979 for me. I might have another go at this.

What I did was use Musescore to create a backing track; then, listening through my earphones, I played along to that.

I did this to make sure I had all the timing right.

But I then thought to myself "why not add the Musescore parts (drums, bass and guitar) to the video I've just recorded?" Why not indeed? Del & BEV do it all the time. It might be fun!

But when I exported all the parts (my uke+vox plus the soundfiles created via Musescore) into a sound editor to mix them together, I discovered that part I'd recorded was about 10% slower than the backing track! Musescore's internal metronome let me down.

It was set to 120bpm, and the parts I exported from Musescore did playback at 120 bpm in the sound editor. But the bpm for my part turned out to be at only 111. Since I'd kept time with the Musescore playback, it (Musescore) must have been running slow. :(

Fortunately, the sound editor I use, Audacity, has an 'increase tempo while keeping pitch constant' feature, so I used that to sync my performance with my backing track.

Normally if I'm editing the audio to a video, I add the edited audio to the video, first making sure that the audio is the same length as the video.

In this instance I needed to add the video to the audio (which was shorter in length than the video) because the audio was at the correct tempo; and doing it that way (adding video to audio), 'shrunk' the video to match the audio.

It didn't lipsync perfectly, but all things considered, I'm happy enough with the result. Next time, if there is a next time, if I want a Musescore to give me 120 bpm, I'll set its metronome to 130 (and keep my fingers crossed)!!

It's taken me a while, but I think I've got to the bottom of this. My old computer's CPU doesn't appear to be up to the task of running MS3 & QT7 simultaneously.

I opened the edited audio file in the sound editor (Audacity), the MS score in Musescore and set them off running together. They remained in sync throughout at 120 bpm.

The only conclusion I can come to, given that MS was running some 7%-8% slower than it should have been while I was recording my parts, is that the load placed upon the CPU by the QT software somehow slowed down the MS playback speed.

If I do something like this again, I'll record the video on a separate device.

It's taken me a while, but I think I've got to the bottom of this. My old computer's CPU doesn't appear to be up to the task of running MS3 & QT7 simultaneously.

I opened the edited audio file in the sound editor (Audacity), the MS score in Musescore and set them off running together. They remained in sync throughout at 120 bpm.

The only conclusion I can come to, given that MS was running some 7%-8% slower than it should have been while I was recording my parts, is that the load placed upon the CPU by the QT software somehow slowed down the MS playback speed.

If I do something like this again, I'll record the video on a separate device.

I think you’re probably right - a hardware issue. In the dim and distant days of the mid ‘80s I was using a Yamaha CX5 computer for MIDI sequencing, and the more MIDI channels I used for a song the slower and more laboured the tempo became. This sounds similar.

Here's a U2 song from their 2004 album How To Dismantle an Atomic Bomb. Hope Wim can forgive me.

I'm about halfway through my little Spotify playlist of songs for this week too. Strap in

Simon & Garfunkel released two albums in 1966 and this is from the second one. The title of the album was taken from the refrain of this song which Paul Simon learnt from Martin Carthy. Carthy himself had recorded it some time earlier following a version recorded by Ewan MacColl and MacColl had only used about half of the verses of the original in his recording - presumably because at that time records were not able to cope with songs longer than about 2.5 minutes (my version here is substantially longer - I hope you stick with it, it tells a good story). Martin Carthy developed a signature guitar riff for the song which Paul Simon used in S&G's version and this caused a deal of acrimony because of a failure (probably by the record company) to acknowledge Carthy's contribution. It was eventually resolved sometime after 2000 when both realised that the continuing acrimony rumbling on did neither of them any favours. Paul Simon apologised and invited Martin Carthy up on stage to perform the song with him at a London Concert. The song itself has its origins in a 17th century broadside and was called "Elfin Knight" and dealt with the notion of a woman defending herself against a would be supernatural lover through a series of challenges to impossible tasks. The Elfin lover disappeared over the years and it became a song about two estranged lovers getting at each other as all too often happens when a relationship breaks up.

Howdy again folks,well i am well and truly stuck in 1970 in this lock down madness,i think my insanity maybe creeping into my videos :rofl:
this song was a big hit in Australia and one of my wife's favourite tunes,i haven't really done it justice,but what the heck,its all about having fun.
So ladies and gentlemen i give you Yellow River by Christie.

Greetings,

I was in the mood for 1991. My vid explains this. Losing my Religion by REM. Here it goes, a phone take with no fanfare.

:)

Howdy again folks last one from me today.
This song was a fave from my childhood would always give me goose bumps when i heard it,it still does.unfortunately you never hear it now due to the artists convictions,its a shame really,we lose some great tunes recorded by extremely dubious artists,so im playing this with a little trepidation and no way do i have any sympathy to the artist,and i hope no offence is caused.Thank you.

Hi Del and Lynda,

1975 wound up being the choice. I was looking for a song I could introduce to the uke jam and this may be it.

Top Bottom