Season 434 - 'Groundhog Year'

A friend of mine chose the year he was born, figured I'd do the same. Not sure I'll get more than one in this week, but at least I got to play some Neil Diamond!

A tidbit of trivia, Lou Barlow (guitar and singer of Sebadoh and all around lo-fi godfather) has said in interviews that he writes a lot of his songs on a ukulele.
i suspect more artists do this, than actually 'fess up to it! if you're sitting around, chilling, and writing a song or ten, why would you not do it all on a small, comfy, fun instrument like a uke?!

Here's number 8 from me. I'm gonna keep going until I'm told to stop btw.
nobody's gonna tell anyone to stop! KEEP 'EM COMING, PEOPLE! :rock: i'm really so enjoying all the songs and the whole vibe of this giant uke party! (that's giant party - not giant uke! please see point made above re. small comfy and fun instrument!)

playlist should be up to date - let me know if anything is missing. and keep plinking! :music:

So we’re up to 77 entries with 3 days still to go - how fabulous is that? After a bit of a worrying lull a while back, I think it’s safe to say that the Seasons of the Ukulele has regained a lot of momentum in recent weeks and months, which is brilliant! A combination of talented and enthusiastic new participants, talented and eternally enthusiastic established (notice I didn’t say ‘old’! ;) ) Seasonistas, and some truly excellent hosting fills me with optimism for the future of the Seasons. Thank you all! :)

This week has once again reminded me of what a joy it is to be a host here. So to anyone, new or ‘established’ ;) who is thinking of hosting a Season for the first time, here is a piece of advice: DO IT!!! It really isn’t as hard as we make it look :D - in fact it’s a doddle and also a hugely rewarding experience!

Last one from me, couldn't resist revisiting one that I've done before, about 18 months ago if my memory serves me correctly. Another song from 1973, the video footage is Loweswater in the Lake District, Cumbria, England (2019).

Hello again to our delightful Hosts! Going from "Staying" to "Swaying" here ... which is mightily confusing. This was a hit for Dino in 1953, but Bobby Rydell did a version in 1960, so it qualifies for my year!

Last edited:
Well I'm sure you're sick of the sight of me now but here's another from 2004, this time courtesy of Franz Ferdinand. It's well known for its killer riff, which is very fun to play but I just love the extended intro verse. So intense. And that strum pattern is so addictive.

Ahoy
I managed to make some progress with Intergalactic and here it is
The year is 1998, I am 15 yrs old and loving hip hop, beck, and metal at the time.

This week has once again reminded me of what a joy it is to be a host here. So to anyone, new or ‘established’ ;) who is thinking of hosting a Season for the first time, here is a piece of advice: DO IT!!! It really isn’t as hard as we make it look :D - in fact it’s a doddle and also a hugely rewarding experience!

Seconded ... it's FUN!!!

Willie Nelson wrote this song but surprise surprise in 1964 - Joe Hinton had a major crossover hit with his version,
which went to number 1 on the Cash Box R&B chart and number 13 on the Billboard Hot 100.

Year 2010. I wanted something from this century and choose a songlet "See alles jääb" (This Remains) by Estonian musician, poet and kimchi maker Orelipoiss. During the recent lockdown, his home concerts were pretty popular in his small country.

I hope it's ok to put this up as I've already submitted this song, but Jon asked me if he could collaborate and of course I was all in. So here's my little Neil Diamond cover again but all spruced up with layers of goodness from our good friend Jon. He also put it together with a lovely black and white film. Enjoy.

Greetings,

Basically a one take wonder, 1991 home made song. I think it’s in Em7 and I liked the chording so I tooled around with lyrics. I recorded stereo but it doesn’t play that way. Oh well...

Ciao

The hell with Nostalgia! I have two songs to contribute this week and they are both form 2020 - the weirdest year of my life - but in February (pre-COVID) the most productive.
This is a song that was written, recorded and posted within an hour during FAWM 2020 in response to the theme "Fighter" - as a fanatical Airfix (Revell) Modeller as a kid, I don't know why I didn't write a song about Spitfires or Hurricanes, but this is what the muse gifted me that night.

I hope you like:

Wasn't going to do another. But vegging out watching Friends on free to air and this song was used in the background. I remember that song...from New Morning? checked yes New Morning, Dylan's 1970 album. Has several great songs on it. Sign on the Window. Plugged in here.

1955. Yeah, this was a train wreck. My attempt to do Johnny Cash's Cry Cry Cry. But I had fun with the video, trying to add a little Limousin Lil sparkle.

Last edited:
SOTU 434 - Against The Wind - Bob Seger. My daughter’s birthday is Groundhog Day. This song was in the Top 100 the year she was born in 1980 and I heard it everyday riding to work in the weeks before she was born.
https://youtu.be/bczeeD0-cmM

Top Bottom