Season 434 - 'Groundhog Year'

Here's a tune written by Joe South in 1967. He recorded the song himself in 1968. But it's Lynn Anderson's version that everyone remembers. She recorded it in 1970 and it went on to achieve worldwide success. It peaked at no.3 in the UK charts in 1971 becoming her biggest hit and her signature song.

Ryan ventured that he thought he'd be the only one in the 21st century, but only went up to '04... I got 2011!
And I'm playing the drum that He won back in season 371 and I still haven't shipped!

Why 2011? No reason. I thought I'd let the song pick the year, and I have had a particularly rough day at work where I fely pushed around by a suddenly mean boss.
I went looking for songs of the theme of what I was feeling.. Hmm Taylor Swift....her songs are actually very cover-friendly and fun to play...

So.. 2011 it is!

(White Man) In Hammersmith Palais

Had to be really, didn't it? :)

Now, here's a thing: In the UK. 'London Calling' was released in Dec 1979, on CBS; but the North American release, on Epic, wasn't till January 1980, which is why 'Rolling Stone' rates it as its #1 album of the 1980s. And in January 1980, I was living in Vancouver, B.C.; which is where I bought my copy (in January 1980, natch).

So, I need a ruling. With this entry, am I in 1979; or am I in 1980?

Last edited:
... would like to join in, but

View attachment 127643

unfortunate turn of phrase given current events, I'd have thought. Anyway, he's trying to find out what's happened; so if there are any mods watching, can they take a sympathetic look at his case, or at least explain to him the reasons for his ban. Ta.
that's GOT to be some kind of technical glitch, surely??? daveey, and paul please pass this message on if daveey doesn't swing by and see it - if you continue to have problems posting here on the thread, PLEASE JUST POST YOUR SONGS AS NORMAL ON YOUTUBE - I'M SUBSCRIBED AND WILL SEE YOUR VIDS, I'LL PUT THEM STRAIGHT ON THE PLAYLIST AND BRING THEM HERE TO THE THREAD FOR YOU.

it's difficult to know when most folk songs were first written, especially as they were all written by Trad and his sister Anon.
:worship:

Wait a second, I was thinking of doing this one because it was recorded in 1955, as well.
please do bring it, we don't mind multiple versions of the same song here, in fact we welcome them, i love them!

Had to be really, didn't it? :)

Now, here's a thing: In the UK. 'London Calling' was released in Dec 1979 in the UK, on CBS; but the North American release, on Epic, wasn't till January 1980, which is why 'Rolling Stone' rates it as its #1 album of the 1980s. And in January 1980, I was living in Vancouver, B.C.; which is where I bought my copy (in January 1980, natch).

well i'd say go with when the song was released, where you were at the time? or with '79 as that was when it was first released anywhere. or take the chance to go with whichever of those two years you most fancy, for the rest of the week! i honestly think either year would be valid for you!

ok peeps, playlist should be up to date, let me know if i've missed anything. so many fantastic songs and covers! keep 'em coming! :rock:

Last edited:
Now, here's a thing: In the UK. 'London Calling' was released in Dec 1979, on CBS; but the North American release, on Epic, wasn't till January 1980, which is why 'Rolling Stone' rates it as its #1 album of the 1980s. And in January 1980, I was living in Vancouver, B.C.; which is where I bought my copy (in January 1980, natch).

Is it me or you who's confused? "...Hammersmith Palais" was recorded & released as a single in 1978. It was on the US version of their debut album, which came out there in '79.

Back to 1970, although this song was written in 1902. I continue with my mission to make it socially acceptable again, after its unfortunate association with Rolf Harris.

Another 1970. Rodriguez's " Cold Fact"...doesn't seem to figure in any Best of 1970 lists. I'd have it in my top 20.

Staying in Australia. I was thinking of asking Jon to help me out on this one and then he commented on my Killers video yesterday he'd like to work on something with me at some point. So the fates willed it and 24 hours later we have this. Big up to Jon for his mixing, his playing, and his finding this awesome footage to go with it.

This is by Missy Higgins. I'm providing rhythm and a couple little solos on my concert ukes, as well as the main vocals, Jon is working his magic on concert ukes, acoustic guitar and chucked some harmonies in too.

Need to do this again sometime brother.

Carrying on my adventures in 1971...
I was aware that the last couple of songs I did were maybe a little on the mournful side so I thought I'd try and lighten the mood. Nothing shouts "FUN!!!" more than Tony Christie's violent tale of brutal murder and cold-blooded revenge. With melodica.

Broken English

So it's 1979 for me. I might have another go at this.

What I did was use Musescore to create a backing track, then, listening through my earphones, I played along to that.

I did this to make sure I had all the timing right.

But I then thought to myself "why not add the Musescore parts (drums, bass and guitar) to the video I've just recorded?" Why not indeed? Del & BEV do it all the time. It might be fun!

But when I exported all the parts (my uke+vox plus the soundfiles created via Musescore) into a sound editor to mix them together, I discovered that part I'd recorded was about 10% slower than the backing track! Musescore's internal metronome let me down.

It was set to 120bpm, and the parts I exported from Musescore did playback at 120 bpm in the sound editor. But the bpm for my part turned out to be at only 111. Since I'd kept time with the Musescore playback, it (Musescore) must have been running slow. :(

Fortunately, the sound editor I use, Audacity, has an 'increase tempo while keeping pitch constant' feature, so I used that to sync my performance with my backing track.

Normally if I'm editing the audio to a video, I add the edited audio to the video, first making sure that the audio is the same length as the video.

In this instance I needed to add the video to the audio (which was shorter in length than the video) because the audio was at the correct tempo; and doing it that way (adding video to audio), 'shrunk' the video to match the audio.

It didn't lipsync perfectly, but all things considered, I'm happy enough with the result. Next time, if there is a next time, if I want a Musescore to give me 120 bpm, I'll set its metronome to 130 (and keep my fingers crossed)!!

Last edited:
Top Bottom