Does Watching Professionals Perform Make Us Better Players?

Kenn2018

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
When I used to play a lot of tennis,(I was never very good.) several studies by sports medicine and psychology groups showed that watching professional matches in person or on TV actually improved a person's performance afterward on the court.

I scoffed when I first read that, but it was replicated by multiple studies. The consensus was that it had a similar effect that visualizing a match and the outcome prior to playing does.

I'm wondering if the same is true for us amateurs after we watch performances by professional ukulele players?

And does it happen regardless of the viewer's skill level?

Last edited:
They inspire me, so if for nothing more than that they help.

Absolutely. I've learned quite a few different techniques by simply watching someone else play so I have no doubt it's beneficial.

"Back in the day" (before YouTube!) watching other players, be they professionals or competent amateurs, was one of the main sources of inspiration for those of us "of a certain age".
Be it just a case of playing a different set of chord shapes under a capo to achieve that "unusual" effect, or slavishly remembering every subtle nuance of a performance for future replication, watching others play (note the plural) allowed us to develop our own styles, with a little bit from here and a bit more from somewhere else ;)
Some of it, even a lot of it, may be sub-conscious, but every so often, when that little finger sneaks out and frets a note you'd not played before, that's possibly where it came from ;)

Enjoy ! :music:

I'm going to vote no. Playing is about playing. Watching with your eyes isn't going to make your fingers do what you want. To complicate matters, I never ever watch ukulele videos. I normally watch guitar or piano videos and translate what I can to my ukulele playing. I'm not contradicting what the others have said. I believe them when they say they benefit by watching other performers. I'm just saying what works for me.

My belief is that watching professional musicians as well as gifted amateurs is enjoyable as well as inspirational, which can only result in us trying to emulate the experiences we've had, resulting in improving our skills.:)

Yes, for a variety of reasons. You could gain insight to where they’re playing on the neck (a guitarist would watch SRV play on a concert video and say to himself “only, the notes are somewhere between the fifth and eleventh frets,”) or a specific technique. You hear with your ears (obviously) but seeing it done can help your mind gain traction as far as implementing it yourself. Not only that, but if you’re learning the same thing you’re seeing a better player perform, it helps as well.

I know for me I came to the ukulele with an aggressive attack I got from playing guitar and it was only after watching videos of the greats that I learned to relax, breathe, and that the uke often sounds better when it played softer.

Not to mention the fact it’s just plain inspirational or so frustrating you’ve just GOT to practice now!

I alternate between noticing something that I might want to try and incorporate into my own playing........and being depressed and demoralized knowing that I will never be anywhere near that good.

It helps me have epiphanies about certain hurdles as well as visualize techniques. I will also put on YouTube videos to get pumped to practice.

I alternate between noticing something that I might want to try and incorporate into my own playing........and being depressed and demoralized knowing that I will never be anywhere near that good.

I've come to accept it.

Here's one final thought I have on the topic: If I could watch Jake, or James Hill, or Stu Fuchs and say "Oh, that's how it is done" and then do it...I would be at such an exponentially higher level of attainment that I wouldn't be here commenting on the thread groping for a foothold for myself.

You also become a better player by listening to and watching yourself play. Our brains are great at fantasizing great tone, legato, dynamics, etc., but a recording lays it all out raw and how it happened. Video is also great to catch those embarrassing performance ticks like chewing the rhythm with your mouth, making taking a dump face, tongue hanging out, bad posture, etc.

That’s true, too. And it helps you see how far you’ve come so you don’t feel like you aren’t making progress,

Haha...not in and of itself, otherwise I'd be an amazing musician and golfer! But, it might motivate you to practice and learn new things.

When I used to play a lot of tennis,(I was never very good.) several studies by sports medicine and psychology groups showed that watching professional matches in person or on TV actually improved a person's performance afterward on the court.

I scoffed when I first read that, but it was replicated by multiple studies. The consensus was that it had a similar effect that visualizing a match and the outcome prior to playing does.

I'm wondering if the same is true for us amateurs after we watch performances by professional ukulele players?

And does it happen regardless of the viewer's skill level?

I think is it the same for everything and everybody. Just to know what a piece of music should sound, or a well-played music, helps you determine what yours should sound like (well, probably not everybody because I actually came into contact with a UU member who's convinced that any exposure to outside music will make his/her music not his or her own).

Even if it does not provide any noticeable improvement, it'll go into building your musical knowledge. For example, we (WRT western music) are used to hearing the diatonic scale even if we listen to some brand new music. If that scale is changed, most will feel the music is off (which is not to say it is bad, but one will notice it is different/wrong). Similarly, upon hearing well-played music, you can notice mistakes more quickly.

Watching the guys from HMS playing is always helpful to me. Because the video quality is good and close-up, I can see what is happening.
A normal live concert is less helpful to me.

Top Bottom