NUD Enya X2K Tenor

Kibes37

Reaction score
Here’s a quick NUD on a uke I’m shocked I love....

I had to sell an expensive uke I had just received due to the loss of income over lockdown. I decided I still wanted a new Uke, even if it was A LOT less money. Enya does a great job getting their ukes into peoples hands I watch online. I decided to try the X2k Tenor with solid Acacia top and HPL (High Pressure Laminate) Acacia back and sides. This uke is outstanding for just under $200. I bought it to be my leave out take anywhere uke and its does this to perfection. Love the tone (Enya D’Addario strings) and ease of playability. Has a radius fretboard that I really dig. I have zero complaints about the setup as well.

I just wanted to bring this brand up more because I feel they are producing amazing value for the money at a range of prices. The uke was shipped really fast and they have great customer service. I don’t know that I would go with their models that start to rival K brands, but I feel I got a WHOLE lot of uke for $189 bucks!

I highly suggest people who are interested search their US site. They use very talented players for sound samples.

I agree that the Enya performance/price is amazing and I'm surprised that Enya gets so little play here. Perhaps it has something to do with Chinese or not able to buy from the usual local, small music stores that are discussed here.

I bought the soprano HPL EUS-X1 after it was reviewed (https://www.gotaukulele.com/2017/.../enya-eus-x1-hpl-soprano-review.html) and think it's great; easy to play, balanced sound, great intonation, and only very little of the hpl (I call it "hollow") sound sound some folks don't like. I liked it enough to buy the HPL EUS-C1 since these are my favorite sizes. I like the concert almost as much as the soprano (relative to my other ukes) and like having two ukes that I don't worry about "care and feeding."

I think a big part of why I like them is the richlite - very little radius - fretboards. I liked them enough to think about the all acacia uke they make, which is their best that still has the richlite fretboard. Since I've stopped buying ukes that others haven't reviewed and liked, your NUD of an acacia w/HPL is the closest I've read. Thanks for the post.

I played a all HPL tenor that was very nice. I’m curious on weight of the solid Acadia top and HPL sides. Also about the volume of this configuration. I found the all HPL to we nice sounding but a little quiet. Can you comment on weight, sound and volume on your new ukulele. Also, any pics? Thanks

I agree that the Enya performance/price is amazing and I'm surprised that Enya gets so little play here. Perhaps it has something to do with Chinese or not able to buy from the usual local, small music stores that are discussed here.

It seems like Enya is well-received on UU, but being more of an entry level brand, most folks around here are probably more interested in something higher end. As for recommendations to new players, I bet it's sort of what you said--not being able to buy from the vendors that are more popular on this site, which means possible setup issues.

I agree they're great, and easily one of the best brands you can buy on Amazon.

It seems like Enya is well-received on UU, but being more of an entry level brand, most folks around here are probably more interested in something higher end. As for recommendations to new players, I bet it's sort of what you said--not being able to buy from the vendors that are more popular on this site, which means possible setup issues.

I got a laminate Enya tenor for my niece (I don't remember the model) and it came setup very well, right out of the box. I was pleasantly surprised since it was a $50 ukulele. With all of the usual accessories Enya includes.

I got a laminate Enya tenor for my niece (I don't remember the model) and it came setup very well, right out of the box. I was pleasantly surprised since it was a $50 ukulele. With all of the usual accessories Enya includes.

I did the same. But that's less of a risk, since a more experienced player is able to spot issues new players might not be able to. I was very happy with the Enyas I got. Better than the entry level Makalas and Cordobas that were costlier.

I played a all HPL tenor that was very nice. I’m curious on weight of the solid Acadia top and HPL sides. Also about the volume of this configuration. I found the all HPL to we nice sounding but a little quiet. Can you comment on weight, sound and volume on your new ukulele. Also, any pics? Thanks

So the weight distribution isn’t the best without a strap. Feels a little top heavy with the slotted heads stock. Doesn’t bother me but I noticed it compared to my KSR. However, as I stated I’m a big fan of the instrument. The volume did seem a tad low at first, but has definitely improved with the strings breaking in. I would consider it above average. Most definitely not below average. Ill take some pics when I get some time, but the US Enya website has good pics in the meantime. Did I mention how much i love the playability of the fretboard?! ;)

I think these may be some of the best values in the uke world. Their nicer models look amazing in online videos and pics, but like I said earlier, it would be hard to go that route without in person experience. The all solid Mahogany looks like another awesome deal and the the all solid Acacia looks amazing for a mid range option. I don’t want to name names and put any past brands down Ive owned and played, but this kills some other more well known expensive models.

This X2K model has made me gain a lot of interest in Enya. I have no plans of buying more currently, but I had to share my nice surprise. I mean a great playable good looking Uke with two strap buttons (well placed second button on heal), slotted headstock, radius fretboard with silk neck, solid Acacia top, tuner, strap, gig bag, finger shaker, Allen wrench for detachable neck, micro fiber cloth, extra strings, picks, capo all for $189. AND everything DOES its job well. Shipped fast all setup.

This lockdown definitely taught me the value of lower end ukes. I love my Kala which I got at the same time. Haven’t done a NUD as I feel most know about that uke.

Last edited:

I bought the soprano HPL EUS-X1 after it was reviewed (https://www.gotaukulele.com/2017/.../enya-eus-x1-hpl-soprano-review.html) and think it's great; easy to play, balanced sound, great intonation, and only very little of the hpl (I call it "hollow") sound sound some folks don't like. I liked it enough to buy the HPL EUS-C1 since these are my favorite sizes. I like the concert almost as much as the soprano (relative to my other ukes) and like having two ukes that I don't worry about "care and feeding."

I think a big part of why I like them is the richlite - very little radius - fretboards. I liked them enough to think about the all acacia uke they make, which is their best that still has the richlite fretboard. Since I've stopped buying ukes that others haven't reviewed and liked, your NUD of an acacia w/HPL is the closest I've read. Thanks for the post.

Absolutely agree with all of your assessments, glad I could help.

I was surprised to find they have a wide range of quality. Although entry level and a bit above may be their bread and butter, they make very high quality as well as hand made.

I’m keeping my eye on them...

Last edited:
I was surprised to find they have a wide range of quality. Although entry level and a bit above may be their bread and butter, they make very high quality as well as hand made.

I’m keeping my eye on them...

Not that I don't appreciate more choices, but I feel like most people aren't gonna want to shell out that kind of money for their high end models. They'll either pay a little more for something like a K brand, or spend that amount elsewhere with more established/well-regarded brands. It's a branding issue; they should've rebranded their higher end stuff since their brand is already associated with entry level ukes.

Not that I don't appreciate more choices, but I feel like most people aren't gonna want to shell out that kind of money for their high end models. They'll either pay a little more for something like a K brand, or spend that amount elsewhere with more established/well-regarded brands. It's a branding issue; they should've rebranded their higher end stuff since their brand is already associated with entry level ukes.

I hear ya, the rebranding is a good point.

I'm a little confused as to why so many companies have so many different brands in the first place. I don't know why Makala exists, and why those models aren't just part of Kala's entry line, for example.

As for Enya...remember that their presence in China is SO much larger than their presence here in the US. And they have used several other brands in the past...such as the ill-named "Kaka" ukulele (not an issue in China, but definitely here in the US) and OMS (Nothing bad there, but still, what is OMS? I used to teach at a middle school whose initials were OMS).

Even Enya's cheapest ukulele is built to almost ridiculous standards. When the Nova came out, I bought one, and own communications with the American office, I asked if I could have a defective model to crash test in the classroom where I teach (I do think the Nova works well for education in a few ways). They were kind enough to send me a defective model...and the problem was that one of the tuners required a spacer (undetectable without knowing about it) to align properly. It was mind-boggling, as I am sure that almost every other manufacturer would have passed that instrument in a QC test.

So...I think when you're buying an Enya, you're buying a premium built instrument, whether it is made with lower cost HPL or laminate, or solid wood.

I agree. Enya gives you good value for your money. I've had two or three of them, and one I took apart to convert into a resonator. Looking inside, I could see that it was very well put together. I would say that Kala also gives you good value for your money. Their cedar top, slotted headstock models are great.

I'm a little confused as to why so many companies have so many different brands in the first place. I don't know why Makala exists, and why those models aren't just part of Kala's entry line, for example.

As for Enya...remember that their presence in China is SO much larger than their presence here in the US. And they have used several other brands in the past...such as the ill-named "Kaka" ukulele (not an issue in China, but definitely here in the US) and OMS (Nothing bad there, but still, what is OMS? I used to teach at a middle school whose initials were OMS).

Even Enya's cheapest ukulele is built to almost ridiculous standards. When the Nova came out, I bought one, and own communications with the American office, I asked if I could have a defective model to crash test in the classroom where I teach (I do think the Nova works well for education in a few ways). They were kind enough to send me a defective model...and the problem was that one of the tuners required a spacer (undetectable without knowing about it) to align properly. It was mind-boggling, as I am sure that almost every other manufacturer would have passed that instrument in a QC test.

So...I think when you're buying an Enya, you're buying a premium built instrument, whether it is made with lower cost HPL or laminate, or solid wood.

I guess the branding thing is about perceived value. People tend to associate higher costs with higher quality, lower costs with lower quality.

I think a good example of branding to different markets is Toyota, Lexus, and Scion. Even though everyone knows it's all made by Toyota, the branding helps them sell more vehicles to different segments of the market.

For me, the weird part about Makala is that Kala makes entry-level ukes under the Kala brand as well. And I definitely think they should have rebranded their higher end models to something more different than "Kala Elite" to attract more buyers away from other brands at that price range.

I do agree with you about Enya in the Chinese market. That was the biggest reason I could see for their making high end models. And maybe it was enough of a reason for them. But if they're interested in selling high end ukes in American and European markets, I think they'd have better luck rebranding their premium models because most people don't want to spend $1000 on an Enya, regardless of actual quality.

Anyway, it's nice to hear with the defective uke, that they hold their products to such high standards. And I think it's pretty neat that you're teaching with ukes in the classroom. I wish I had that as a kid.

This lockdown definitely taught me the value of lower end ukes. I love my Kala which I got at the same time. Haven’t done a NUD as I feel most know about that uke.

How does it compare to your Kala ZTP? I have the KA ZTP-CTG without the cutaway and kale electronics. I am still amazed with the sound quality and volume of my uke.

And I definitely think they should have rebranded their higher end models to something more different than "Kala Elite" to attract more buyers away from other brands at that price range.

Yes! The name means a lot. A "Ford Lincoln" would not have the appeal of a "Lincoln." Those creative people could have come up with a classy-sounding name. I bet the name "Kala Elite" is keeping people away.

How does it compare to your Kala ZTP? I have the KA ZTP-CTG without the cutaway and kale electronics. I am still amazed with the sound quality and volume of my uke.

Yes, my ZTP sounds great! Read many great reviews and was still surprised how good it sounds. It’s a little canon for sure. Very nice at mellow volume too. Kala discontinued any similar model, I wonder what’s replacing it...

Top Bottom